Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What happens if EDD changes?

(13 Posts)
Annbag Fri 08-Aug-14 17:11:17

This might be a daft question!
I currently have my EDD as 40 weeks. However, if my low lying placenta doesn't sort itself out soon I've been told I'll need a caesarean section at around 37 weeks. My maternity leave from work starts after this.
Does anyone know what happens if I have to book in early? I assume they'll give me a new MatB1 form with new dates?
By the way I know I can request to change my mat leave dates but I have to give 28 days notice, which won't be enough time to change dates unfortunately

Boysclothes Fri 08-Aug-14 17:12:55

No, your edd will stay the same. No new form. It's a legal date for the purposes of mat pay etc.

Boysclothes Fri 08-Aug-14 17:14:05

Just tell them now what the CS date is and your leave will start from that date. Just as it would if you were to go into labour and give birth today.

Annbag Fri 08-Aug-14 17:28:57

Thanks very much. I guess I can get some sort of letter confirming the cs date to show to work and that will do the trick!

Honeybear30 Fri 08-Aug-14 17:59:21

If it comes to it you can just use the birth certificate!

PenguinsHatchedAnEgg Fri 08-Aug-14 18:06:08

You just tell them and change the start day. It is not like most non-planned-section babies come on their due date.

WhyOWhyWouldYou Fri 08-Aug-14 18:49:22

Due date from the scan you had i

WhyOWhyWouldYou Fri 08-Aug-14 18:52:54

Due date from the dating scan you had cannot change. If you go into labour or have a cs prior to that date, and your mat leave hasnt already started, it will automatically (same happens if you go off sick in the last 4 weeks).

So just inform your boss, you dont need to fill in a formal form or provide proof of cs date. Your boss has to tell hr.

BikeRunSki Fri 08-Aug-14 18:58:58

Your edd is only ever an estimate. Very few babies are actually born on it, cs or otherwise. No one can hold you to your edd!!

The MATB1 is proof to your employers that you are pg and will be taking mat leave. The date is a useful planning tool for them (and you!). The date you actually give birth, is erm, the date you give birth.

Annbag Fri 08-Aug-14 19:47:18

Thanks all, I'm hoping they'll be understanding as I don't really want to leave work the day I give birth...too much to get done!

doobeedee Sat 09-Aug-14 17:20:07

Your maternity leave starts automatically on the day you give birth if it's earlier than your stated mat leave start date. It's not a problem and happens all the time. I assume if it's a planned C section you just inform them as soon as you know.

WhyOWhyWouldYou Sat 09-Aug-14 18:06:11

If its that you want to move date to before c-section and work dont let you then you can go off sick at 36weeks which will automatically trigger the start of mat leave

micah Sat 09-Aug-14 18:10:18

Do you have any annual leave? You will still accumulate Annual leave while on mat leave- if you have enough you could use it to cover until you start mat leave.

DD arrived early- 2 weeks before mat leave was due to start. I took 10 days holiday instead. Made no difference as I would have tagged it onto the end of mat leave anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now