Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Unusual start to pregnancy

(9 Posts)
Kurlysarah Fri 08-Aug-14 14:16:56

We have been ttc for about 10 months and yesterday I got a BFP!! However, I've had a normal period and still bleeding slightly - how can that happen? I've been to get checked at the docs and they confirmed the test and also ruled out ectopic but I'm being monitored in case of miscarriage. I'm not in any pain at all though - apart from symptoms like sore breasts, headache, feel tired and a bit nauseous.
Has anyone else experienced similar? Ie. having a normal period whilst pregnant?

sebsmummy1 Fri 08-Aug-14 14:19:30

I have experienced similar but I never got beyond a faint test and my HCG count never went above 200. Unfortunately my body continued to believe I was viably pregnant for 6 weeks which was a nightmare for TTC.

Is your pregnancy test showing a nice strong line? Has your GP talked about checking your HCG level via bloods?

squizita Fri 08-Aug-14 14:54:46

I had the same and my pregnancy is fine (ironically the first one that worked after many losses which started out with no such bleed).

My mum had twins, didn't realise at 1st as she had a 'proper' period. She must have had LOADS of HCG but for some reason her progesterone levels let her have a period.

I agree with Sebsmummy get 48hr bloods to check the hormones are rising - because there is a risk it's a very early loss- but yes it does happen surprisingly often.

outtheothersidefinally Fri 08-Aug-14 14:58:26

I happened with me but very healthy pregnancy followed. Keep getting checked!

westcountrywoman Fri 08-Aug-14 15:10:30

I had a normal period for the first month with each of my two pregnancies. Full flow (clots and all, sorry if TMI) but possibly a day or two shorter than normal (I normally bleed for 5 - 7 days, I bled as normal for 3 days with each pregnancy, then spotting for a few more days).

I also had a bleed with each of them at 16 weeks (i.e. when my period would also have been due had I not have been pregnant), but not at 8 or 12 weeks. The second bleed with my second pregnancy was quite heavy but short-lived and I did attend the GPs so they could check the heartbeat.

Both babies were born fit and well past their due dates so fingers crossed this is the case for you too. x

SweepTheHalls Fri 08-Aug-14 15:16:11

I'm afraid I had this and went on to loose the baby a week later. I hope the positive stories come true for you.

Kurlysarah Fri 08-Aug-14 15:40:29

Thanks for the advice everyone - been to docs today for blood test and back again Monday for a second to check bloods!
Fingers crossed!!

Kurlysarah Wed 13-Aug-14 06:45:57

In case any of you are interested - I got my hcg results back from Friday and Monday and they were 153 then 435! So I defo have a bun in the oven we are 5 weeks 3 days officially! :-) They reckon it was implantation bleed (which has now stopped for last 5 days).
Just thought it might be encouraging for some who have had a similar experience. Still not much nausea but my boobs are really painful and I've had a constant headache!
Baby dust to you all!! :-)

chiliplant Wed 13-Aug-14 21:24:34

That's great news!x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now