Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

(17 Posts)
FTMK Fri 08-Aug-14 14:13:53

Anyone else struggling with this? I am 25 weeks and it's got worse this week. I had the odd spell of it earlier along with some general lower back pain but related to activity / lifting etc. I have been icing my back, taking paracetamol etc and I have a referral for a group physio appt in 2 1/2 weeks. I've just been to Mothercare and walking around there was v uncomfortable. We're going away soon and I don't want to be crippled all week. Any suggestions?

misskipper Fri 08-Aug-14 18:43:41

Try to find a local pregnancy massage therapist recommended by someone. They will be able to loosen up the lower back, glutes and thighs. In the meantime sitting on a tennis ball and rolling it around in the sharp spot could help to ease it a bit. Good luck x

BanglesSpangles Fri 08-Aug-14 22:16:44

Ive been suffering, and have been doing two yoga poses- cat and cow, which ive found have really helped to stretch everything out... That said, im not a yoga pro or anything, so while it worked for me, i wouldnt want to give that as a recommendation or anything (But if you could get yourself to a pregnancy yoga class, i bet a teacher would be able to help!)

WaffleWiffle Fri 08-Aug-14 22:20:54

I often use the cat and cow for easing lower back pain

notyummy Fri 08-Aug-14 22:32:05

Tens machine? Check you can use it whilst pregnant, but it really helped my symptoms. Also get a wheat bag and heat in microwave.

ElephantsNeverForgive Fri 08-Aug-14 22:38:37

You need to get DH/DP to rub your back just to either side of the spine as it meets the pad of muscles on your bum. You'll feel when he gets it right. You can actually do it your self to an extent.

Get the right spot and it stops the nerves sending daft messages to your legs and makes it much better.

And keep walking around and moving, sitting still is the worst thing of all.

notyummy Fri 08-Aug-14 22:45:29

Oh yes- sitting is bad. And sitting and leaving forward about the worst.

offside Fri 08-Aug-14 22:58:07

I had sciatica so got a birthing ball. After a week of using the ball (bouncing to move baby) it's completely disappeared, so that's my recommendation.

notyummy Fri 08-Aug-14 23:03:27

Leaning, not leaving!

BumpNGrind Sat 09-Aug-14 00:57:42

Cycling on an exercise bike has always helped me. It's the last thing I feel like doing but it seems to loosen things up.

FTMK Sat 09-Aug-14 08:38:57

Thanks for all the tips ladies. My DP has shown me how to use his foam roller to massage the area (bit like the tennis ball I think) and I have packed it, plus gel packs so I can keep heating and icing (good job we're taking the car!) I've also been doing the cat and a couple of other stretches as well. Just have to persevere I think - I have been keeping doing stuff but as it's school hols I am slightly less active than usual (as a teacher I'm usually on my feet all day). Hope you all feel better too.

ElephantsNeverForgive Sat 09-Aug-14 11:16:51

Yep sitting and leaning forward on my cheap computer chair is awful.

Rufus200 Sat 09-Aug-14 21:54:22

I suffered from sciatica terribly for a week even though I wasn't pregnant. It turned out my piriformis muscle, under your gluteals, was trapping my nerve. I was in agony and couldn't sit or walk.

I found a stretch online and on day 2 the pain was gone.

Lie on your back, put your feet on the ground with knees bent. Bring left leg up and put left foot on your right knee. Then lift right leg up, so both legs come towards your tummy. You will feel the stretch across your left buttock. Repeat on other side.

Might be difficult if you are heavily pregnant but it made all my symptoms go!

Rufus200 Sat 09-Aug-14 21:57:51

FTMK Sun 10-Aug-14 09:49:30

Thanks Rufus but us pregnant ladies aren't allowed to lie on our backs - DP had suggested that one too. 8 hours in the car yesterday was not good - stopped 3 times on the way and could barely walk to the loo! Didn't go out last night and have pottered around the apartment this morning with no pain - the test is a short walk in a bit. FX.

notyummy Sun 10-Aug-14 10:22:54

I did a pregnancy Pilates class that included a couple of moves lying on my back? I thought it was lying on your back for extended periods that was a no no? Wouldn't have thought the few minutes required for a stretch would be problem tbh. I certainly lay on my back for short period throughout- didn't sleep in my back though, which was the advice given by the midwife.

notyummy Sun 10-Aug-14 10:26:03

Interesting thread here basically saying go for it unless it makes you feel woozy. Certainly didn't for me:

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now