Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Mat Leave Anxiety/Movement

(11 Posts)
nc060 Fri 08-Aug-14 11:02:57

has anyone found they have have become much more anxious since starting mat leave? I seem to spend a lot of time lieing on my side to encourage baby to move. It just isnt as strong! still feeling regular movement but last week my whole stomach would move with it and seems much fainter now?

Mmolly2013 Fri 08-Aug-14 11:20:48

I'm 38 weeks and baby has definitely slowed down here but I think that's normal because they are running out of space.

WhyOWhyWouldYou Fri 08-Aug-14 11:32:03

If you have any concerns about movement, speak to your midwife. Its better to be over cautious than under.

Although i found baby kicked me very strongly when i was active but less strong when i was relaxing.

Me23 Fri 08-Aug-14 11:35:09

It is a myth that movements slow down towards the end of pregnancy. The type of movement may change but the mount shouldn't. Please call your midwife if your movements have reduced or you have concerns.

Have copied and pasted the following from www.countthekicks.org.uk

What are normal movements for an unborn baby?

There is no set pattern of what is normal for an unborn baby as every baby is different so it is important to get to know their individual pattern. As your baby develops, both the number and type of movements will change with your baby’s activity pattern. Usually, afternoon and evening periods are times of peak activity for your baby. During both day and night, your baby has sleep periods that mostly last between 20 and 40 minutes, and are rarely longer than 90 minutes. Your baby will usually not move during these sleep periods.
The number of movements tends to increase until 32 weeks when they will plateau although the type of movement may change as you near your due date. Movements should not reduce as you near your due date and the baby should continue to move up until and during labour.

Redling Fri 08-Aug-14 14:51:17

I rang triage yesterday because I felt that movements were less strong, she said that as long as I am getting the same amount of movements (can't say I count them specifically) it's fine, baby might have engaged and so movements may feel weaker. I'm 39 weeks. He's been moving a lot it just feels different, less big movements. So as long as you are still getting the same amount spread through the day, no cause for concern according to the midwife I spoke to. But if you want to ring your midwife triage I say go for it, they won't mind and it will reassure you.

nc060 Fri 08-Aug-14 18:45:25

thanks guys. Spent the afternoon at triage and everything seems fine smile

Me23 Fri 08-Aug-14 19:15:32

Oh good glad you were checked and all is fine.

squizita Fri 08-Aug-14 21:16:55

Yes, I have maternal anxiety and my MW even said that this might happen.

It certainly did with me. To put it in context I was spending 5-6 hours per day irrationally lying on my side one week. My movement had not changed/gone (I have a count the kicks wristband, all was well).

To top it off I posted about the psychological concerns and someone skim read my post and told me I had reduced movement and to go to A&E which panicked me even more!

I have found that when I am busy I don't notice pushes and light kicks so much. Maybe because I am standing? I've had people SEE them before I feel them (which is a PITA as I'm always thinking 'did I miss a movement?').

The nature of movements has changed since 28 weeks- less room, so they are more wiggles and pushes than swooshes and kicks, but the overall pattern and number is pretty much the same (10-12 'bursts' a day, more clustered in the morning/evening and when I eat). If I got much less than expected over 2 hours I would always ring the MW and go to my nearest hospital though.

squizita Fri 08-Aug-14 21:18:31

BTW the wristband or app is a sanity saver. Makes you aware enough to count when busy (so you don't worry later) but you know you'd realise if you had less movement over a few hours. I recommend it!

Me23 Sat 09-Aug-14 09:22:45

Sorry I should have made it clear that my post was a general post about movements. It was aimed more at molly as she had reduced movement but seemed to think that was normal. The Op has had regular movements but they felt different which I explained was normal.

squizita has some given some very good advie OP, hope you're ok.

Heatherbell1978 Sat 09-Aug-14 09:27:30

I'm exactly the same. 39 wks here and the movements are definitely different and I spend a lot of time prodding my tummy to make him move if he hasn't for a while. Went to triage 2 wks ago about it and all was well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now