Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What else do i need?

(20 Posts)
Firstpregnancy2014 Tue 05-Aug-14 15:41:50

A very close family member wishes to buy us something for our baby due in a few months-
We are trying to not buy too much and I think we already have alot.
She has a budget of �100 and has asked me to pick something what can i get?! I cant ask for vouchers/money as she really wants to buy him something
We currently have-

Pram
Carseat with Isofix
BabyBjorn balance bouncer with toy bar
Sleeping arrangements
2 full bedding sets (with additional sheets)
Blankets
Clothes
Muslins
Bottles
Sterilizer
Tommee tippee perfect prep machine
A playmat
Baby Bath
Changing bag

... Im at a lost end... what else do i need/should i want?!

woodwaj Tue 05-Aug-14 15:47:09

Ooh hard! Bumbo, moses basket, monitor or perhaps photos/canvas once baby arrives?

JennyBlueWren Tue 05-Aug-14 15:51:52

An extra moses basket for the living room?
A sling or other baby carrying device?

If no big object could you tell her you've got all the big things you need but would love for her to put together a mum and baby bathing set (with toiletries, towels and rubberduck etc)

mssleepyhead Tue 05-Aug-14 16:16:00

Baby monitor?
Sling?

Waggamamma Tue 05-Aug-14 16:19:55

Not for the immediate newborn stage but how about a jumperoo or highchair? Both will be really useful by the time baby is 4-6months.

betold Tue 05-Aug-14 16:22:22

Was just going to say a Jumperoo or highchair! Both will be used for a good long time so maybe not being used for the newborn would be ok?

hartmel Tue 05-Aug-14 16:56:35

I would also suggest a jumperoo, bouncer, high chair (my son was in it by 4 month) and the big one that a lot of people told me I wouldn't use was a change table with mat on it. My husband suffers from back problems and after birth my back was hurting for 2 month due to the epidural I had. And 4 month after birth I got pregnant again. So it was the best thing to have to change DS nappies

Jumperoo or a sling? Something like a connecta would come under budget?

chocolatemartini Tue 05-Aug-14 17:04:08

Sling. A stretchy wrap or an ergo/ connecta/ Manduca/ Boba not a baby bjorn. Though baby bjorn bouncy chairs are fab. My 2.5 yo still sits in ours!

itsliz Tue 05-Aug-14 17:10:03

YY to changing unit, jumperoo or Moses basket!

If not then maybe a nursing chair/ rocking chair/ glider? An Ergobaby? Cot mobile? Lamaze toys? A nice fluffy hooded bath towel?

Horispondle Tue 05-Aug-14 17:15:52

Baby monitor!

polkadotdelight Tue 05-Aug-14 17:24:54

Another vote for baby monitor.

ElleDubloo Tue 05-Aug-14 18:21:28

I definitely know what I'd ask for! A woven wrap. A gorgeous, high-end woven wrap would cost around £100, and your relative will be happy to see you using it when out-and-about. I'd go for a brand like Didymos, they're really lovely.

If wraps aren't your thing, then perhaps a BabyBjorn baby carrier?

If someone is offering to buy you a gift, I think they would like it if you picked something beautiful and visible, rather than a purely "essential" item.

Buffy81 Tue 05-Aug-14 18:29:04

how about some educational toys for a few months down the line? that way, she can take her time in looking for what would be good to help with developing babies skills or a baby walker for when the time comes

Snook99 Wed 06-Aug-14 10:55:33

We are having this problem too so I'm just going to ask for vouchers for a photographer so we can get some nice pictures done and then other people can have some too x

dancestomyowntune Wed 06-Aug-14 17:50:56

another vote for a chsnging table here. it was the best thing i had with all of mine! with dd1 we had a plastic mamas and papas with built in bath but i wouldn't buy one of those again. then.i had a second hand wooden one with built in bath which was fab. this time i'm looking at a nice one Amazon thats a wooden construction with drawers made of material. its about £20 and then your relative could buy a nice changing mat to go on top.

mrsgembles Wed 06-Aug-14 17:52:15

Breastpump? Is that weird?!

ladydolly Wed 06-Aug-14 20:00:16

We managed to get a John Lewis cot for £100 and my mil loved buying that for us?

Squtternutbaush Wed 06-Aug-14 20:04:26

I'd have a stretchy sling or a Connects sling (although I'm slightly obsessed with my Connecta grin

PenguinsHatchedAnEgg Wed 06-Aug-14 20:05:46

Monitor or sling I think.smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now