Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pcos and calculating pregnancy dates

(10 Posts)
WorkingBling Tue 05-Aug-14 08:29:55

Rather surprisingly, I just discovered I am pregnant. Ds was a clomid baby and we had originally hoped for natural conception this time but my periods have got very irregular again so we weren't terribly optimistic!

However, surprised as we are, it's great news. But we have no idea how pregnant I am. I took a test about 3 weeks ago that was negative so by my calculations if I was in fact pregnant then, but not enough to be on test, I am at most 6 - 7 weeks now. Could be as little as four. Any advice on figuring it out? Can I have bloods done? Am obviously very nervous.

I think it depends on what area you are in. My midwife is counting from my last period so saying I'm 8 weeks but I think I'm about 5-7 somewhere. I'm in Norfolk and she says they don't take into account long cycles etc and I was irregular so there's a small chance I'm that far but like you I had a negative test earlier on the month.mi would tell your midwife at your booking appointment and they may offer you an early scan. I won't find out until my first scan which will be 13 weeks according to their dates.

WorkingBling Tue 05-Aug-14 10:23:26

Thanks. I'll be quite annoyed if they insist on that as my last period was mid may which by their calculations would make me about 10 weeks already. I took a test Mid July that was negative. The only positive thing I can see about if they insist I'm further along is that my 12 week scan will actually be an very early scan! smile. I managed to get through to my GP so have made an appointment - I have various medications that need to be changed now that I'm pregnant plus last pregnancy wasn't exactly a walk in the park so I'm seeing the GP before the midwives.

ebwy Tue 05-Aug-14 14:50:00

they are supposed to work it out from your last period regardless (stupid, I know!)

they did with my eldest, despite me telling them that was far too early since I only had sex once that month so was very sure when he was conceived!

Fishcake77 Tue 05-Aug-14 15:03:48

I suffer from PCOS and my due date was dated by a scan, not by my last period.

Fishcake77 Tue 05-Aug-14 15:04:22

By the way many, many congratulations! smile

WorkingBling Tue 05-Aug-14 17:41:24

Thanks all. I took one of those conception tests and it says conception was 3+ weeks ago. So that at least gives me a less wide window. I know now that I must be between 5 and 7 weeks. I'll get a scan at the end of August privately so will have confirmation then.

WorkingBling Tue 05-Aug-14 17:43:21

Fishcake, did they give you an early scan? Or wing it?

Inbl00m Tue 05-Aug-14 18:54:51

Congratulations! I was in the same situation (though unknown reason for irregular periods) so had no idea and they just dated from scan. Turned out to be 7 weeks. If it turns out you have your '12-week' scan earlier than that then it just means an additional one and they might also be able to date you smile

Mango92 Wed 06-Aug-14 00:53:05

I got an early scan to give an estimate for my 12 week detailed scan.
they took measurements and worked out gestation frpm there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now