Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Waters broke and...nothing

(15 Posts)
Rosebud29 Mon 04-Aug-14 10:25:29

Hi all
I'm 39+2. The past couple of mornings I've woken up with bad period type pain but it would stop when I got up.
My waters broke at 12.30am, just a trickle and mini gushes after I'd been lying down for a bit. Pink tinge. I was awake till 3am then woke up to a contraction at 6.30am. Had a couple more 10mins apart. Went back to sleep. Woke up at 9am and had soaked through pad, knickers and pj's. No more contractions since I got up, just like the past couple of days. Currently having a bounce on my birth ball.
The hospital have said to give it a few more hours. No blood and baby nice and active.
Has anyone experienced this? I really don't want to be induced. Do you reckon there's a good chance things will start themselves?

passmethewineplease Mon 04-Aug-14 10:27:26

Usually most women will go in to labour themselves after waters breaking. There's always exceptions though.

Get bouncing! grin

DuckandCat Mon 04-Aug-14 10:32:10

Sounds very similar to my labour! Waters broke, but contractions never really got going and ended up being induced. They give 24hrs before they want to induce I think.

Hopefully your contractions will start properly soon, but either way you'll have your lovely baby within the next 48hrs, exciting!! I've got 3 months to go and am very jealous.

Good luck smile

EssexGirlLottie Mon 04-Aug-14 10:40:14

Hi, no experience myself (am currently 38+5 with my first) but didn't want to read and run.

I think diff areas have diff guidelines but I think our ante natal instructor said here they would wait 96 hours after waters going before intervening so sounds like you have time to get things going. Perhaps a walk if you feel up to it?

Hopefully some others with experience will input too but good luck! I am "symptom spotting" every day now but no sighs as yet

Quinandthem Mon 04-Aug-14 10:47:56

My waters went at 7am and nothing happened.

Our hospital has a 24 hrs before induction but as it was so early in the morning I was induced at 9pm. Just the tablet but things progressed quickly and dd was born by 4.30am.

I would do it again. Don't know how people cope with days of labour.

Sounds a bit out there but try and remember that every contraction really is one step closer to meeting your baby.

You'll be enjoying cuddles soon.

Christelle2207 Mon 04-Aug-14 10:48:44

I recommend going for a walk! That got my labour going and when it slowed down the following day walk no. 2 got me going again without a doubt.

Rosebud29 Mon 04-Aug-14 11:01:29

Thanks ladies. I'm doing housework and having a bounce on the ball in between in the hope it'll make things happen. If I have to be induced then so be it. Thanks for your good wishes.
Off to scrub the bathroom...

passmethewineplease Tue 05-Aug-14 00:26:14

Hope things progressed for you OP. grin

ImBrian Tue 05-Aug-14 08:48:52

This happened with my last two births, first one I was induced as nothing got going after over 24 hours and the second one I started having contractions not long after they went. Hope you get going soon.

Fizzyfuzzy123 Tue 05-Aug-14 08:53:25

My waters broke on the Saturday and ds came on the tues night, contractions started tues pm. However I was only 33 weeks x

LizzieMint Tue 05-Aug-14 08:54:19

My waters broke at 40+16 and STILL nothing happened!! My area were quite happy to wait and don't advise induction until 72 hours after waters had broken, i actually had a quick labour and lovely home birth about 36 hours later.
You can always refuse induction if you'd prefer to wait, it's only ever offered NOT mandatory but a lot of people don't realise this.

Rosebud29 Tue 05-Aug-14 15:56:39

Hi ladies.

So, I went to the hospital yesterday to check baby was ok. They booked me for induction at 8pm today. I got mild contractions yesterday till 11pm when they got much much stronger. Contracted all night, about 15mins apart. Didn't sleep a wink obviously (the pain!). Contractions have continued at between 8 and 15 mins apart until about an hour and a half ago when they started tailing off. Was 40mins between the last one and the one before that. Pissed off. Was really hoping they'd pick up and I wouldn't need to be induced. No such luck. Nevermind, either way I should have baby tomorrow if induction works. Wish us luck :-)

hartmel Tue 05-Aug-14 16:59:11

How are you doing????

Wishing you a lot of luck

Quinandthem Wed 06-Aug-14 09:23:45

Good luck - You're going to do great.

Loveallmyboys Wed 06-Aug-14 12:48:48

Eek! Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now