Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

hospital bag/s

(28 Posts)
Buffy81 Sun 03-Aug-14 18:41:46

Hi.

I am 38 weeks on monday and have yet to get my arse in gear to get stuff packed. I have a rough idea of what I am taking in with me. I am just undecided on weather to take one big bag with everything in it or two smaller bags, one for me and one for bubs.

What did you do as where I am going, the labour suites are on a different level to where you go after you have had the baby so need I need to bear in mind moving stuff from floor to floor and how much space there is on the ward

SuzanneSays Sun 03-Aug-14 18:45:31

I'm 37+2 and have only just got round to finally packing my bags after lots of nagging from friends and family! I'm taking two bags- one for me and the other for baby and a change of clothes for DH. I keep adding things/taking stuff out so glad I didn't pack it any sooner!

Heatherbell1978 Sun 03-Aug-14 18:55:54

I'm 38 weeks and bag has just been packed! We're taking one big one for me and baby although it's not huge. A weekend bag I guess. I'll also take a decent sized handbag which I can chuck last minute stuff in. We also have a small rucksack filled entirely with snacks and change of clothes for DH. We will probably need to move room at some point but it's DHs job to worry about that!

bonzo77 Sun 03-Aug-14 19:05:15

2 bags. One for labour and the following night. A second one with stuff for 2-3 extra nights in case you get kept in. When they move you from labour to post natal you are on a wheelie bed and they'll put your bag(s) on the end of it.

Mmolly2013 Sun 03-Aug-14 19:08:16

I've packed like a small travel size suitcase that you would use as a carry on. one side for baby and one side for me. And put some snacks and drinks in zippy parts for hospital.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Sun 03-Aug-14 19:08:19

Im doing a labour bag and a ward bag.

Labour bag - nightie, socks, drinks and snacks, phone charger, music (waterbirth), hair bobbles, first outfot for the baby, inc couple nappies (not sure how long we will be in recovery before going to ward)

Ward - spare clothing for me and baby, nappies wipes and milk, little shower bag, book, towel.

Rosebud29 Sun 03-Aug-14 21:37:35

2 bags, small suitcase for me and changing bag with baby's stuff in (with some overflow in my bag). I've packed enough stuff in case we get kept in a few nights, although I've been told extra p.j's are a must. And knickers, lots of knickers.

FTMK Sun 03-Aug-14 22:17:16

Just to say you might not be moved on a bed - we were on labour ward for monitoring this week and saw a new mum bring pulled backwards in a wheelchair and pulling her own wheelie suitcase whilst her OH pushed the baby in a cot. So less might be better - can always leave an extra bag in the car for later?

OneLittleToddleTerror Mon 04-Aug-14 02:48:22

I walked from labour ward to post natal ward. Not everyone gets a bed like FTMK says. Depends on if you can walk id think. I took a single large backpack last time.

dolicapax Mon 04-Aug-14 07:33:50

Don't over pack, you are unlikely to be moved on a bed, and extra bags will just get on the way. If you pack a second bag in case you are kept in a few days leave it in the car or at home and your birthing partner can collect it later.

Essentials, something like a big T shirt to give birth in that can be thrown away, and a nightie plus dressing gown for afterwards.
Baby clothes, several changes, including hat
Baby blankets
A lot of maternity pads. Double what you think you'll need
Nipple cream
Toiletries
Clothes to leave hospital in. You will still have a stomach, just not as big as before.
Formula and bottles just in case you can't bf. Hospitals don't supply these
Nappies, cotton wool
Muslins

PenguinsHatchedAnEgg Mon 04-Aug-14 08:35:15

If you are doing two bags it is better to split it labour/immediately after and after, not you and baby. That way one bag can stay in the car and get collected when you go to post natal. smile

mrsnec Mon 04-Aug-14 08:55:59

I have my bag packed. It has everything on the lists mentioned except formula, snacks and an outfit for leaving hospital.

This is my first. I haven't even decided which hospital I'm going to give birth in yet. I don't know what the feeding procedure is in one of them. So I didn't pack formula.

I was going to grab snacks on the way out (cereal bars and small cartons of juice maybe?) and shove them in my bag and leave an outfit for coming home in somewhere in the house where it's easy for dh to find and bring in, I was thinking nursing dress and maternity leggings.

I managed to get everything else in a flight bag so I was trying to avoid bringing in a suitcase or 2 bags. Will my plan work do you think?

PenguinsHatchedAnEgg Mon 04-Aug-14 10:02:42

Do you know you'll need to stay in MrsNec? If you might have a 6 hour discharge, or not stay long, I'd say it'd be better to have a bag with the going home outfit in the car smile. I'd pack the snacks now as well as they aren't perishable. It's amazing the things you forget in labour, or which will irritate you having to organise.

Formula- are you planning to ff? If so, yes, you need to find out your hospital's policy. If not, I think all hospitals provide it when necessary.

mrsnec Mon 04-Aug-14 10:28:28

I'm not in the UK. The general hospital has an average stay of 5 days for a normal delivery with no complications! Dh is outraged at that!The private hospital is less. But 3 out of the 4 doctors I've seen accross both hospitals think I'll need a c section.

The private hospital provides formula but I didn't ask the general yet. I've heard both favour ff here but I'd like to try bf so, sorry for hijacking thread here but this is something I'm confused about at the moment!

6 hour discharge would be lovely but can't see it happening.

Still got ages to go, it's at least another 3 weeks before they decide but I agree about snacks and coming home outfit.

Artandco Mon 04-Aug-14 11:08:41

I had a small holdall ( hand luggage size), that had shoulder strap plus handles. Dh just slung over shoulder to carry in and out and was hands free so could carry baby seat out also so convienent. Had everything for a 2 day stay for me and baby, figured dh could bring more if longer (1day stay both times). I put everything into seperate organise bags inside, ie a baby clothes bag, baby nappy/ wipes, my toiletries etc. muji shop is great for these ( suitcase organisers), come in x4 sizes and basically just mesh so can see exactly what's in what

Plus my regular handbag with day to day stuff like phone/ kindle/ money etc. I actually read a whole book! As was so worried someone would steal my baby overnight that I stayed awake and just held/ fed baby and read until home in morning

I took a nursing dress and tights to go home in same as I wore in.

PenguinsHatchedAnEgg Mon 04-Aug-14 14:09:10

Fair enough mrsnec. Just remember on the feeding that it isn't what they favour. It's what you favour. smile

mrsnec Mon 04-Aug-14 14:24:57

Thanks penguins, it's a whole other thread for nearer the time I think!

I like that idea Art, maybe I could reorganise a bit. I can't fit anything else in there at the moment but I am questioning if I need to take nappies and baby clothes in two sizes which I have packed at the moment.

PenguinsHatchedAnEgg Mon 04-Aug-14 14:53:32

size one nappies will fit basically all babies. No need for twos. if that is what you mean. smile

dolicapax Mon 04-Aug-14 15:15:20

Penguins not all hospitals provide formula, regardless of reason, my local one doesn't. I think this is a fairly new policy change. They don't provide bottles either. It is sensible to take a few bottles of the ready mixed formula just in case.

mrsnec Mon 04-Aug-14 15:19:08

It's just the mums convinced she's going to be huge despite me and dh both being 7lb and all my scans measuring spot on for dates so I have packed nappies in 1 and 2 and now I'm thinking about it, clothes in prem,0-3mnth +3-6mnth! Probably a bit extreme.

Lots of new babies in the family last year and apparently growth scans are always wrong!

PenguinsHatchedAnEgg Mon 04-Aug-14 15:20:45

Doli - Really? So if a baby is dangerously dehydrated (for example), they just leave them? I really don't understand how that policy would work confused. Not disputing you are correct, just never heard of hospitals refusing to provide formula when medically required unexpectedly, as opposed to when chosen.

PenguinsHatchedAnEgg Mon 04-Aug-14 15:24:10

Size one goes up to 11lb generally Mrsnec. I think you can ditch the size two!

And 0-3 months goes up to around 13lb ish depending on brand. If the baby comes out that big I think you've got other issues!

Seriously. Size 1 and 0-3 will be plenty big enough. smile

mrsnec Mon 04-Aug-14 15:32:27

Ok so take out all the bigger stuff and replace with formula just in case.

And I don't think she's huge my last scan put her at 1.6kg at 31 weeks.

OneLittleToddleTerror Mon 04-Aug-14 17:09:16

doli they will have formula. The policy probably only means you can't get it just because you want it. How about the babies in NICU? Most premmies are formula fed. So will most jaudiced newborns under phototherapy. They will only have breast milk if their mother expressed and labelled their milk and put the into the special fridge. Otherwise they are just given formula. I know for jaudiced babies they are fed in a very strict routine, ie a fixed volume of milk every x hours. If the mum can't provide enough, they will always top up with formula. I assume the same with premmies.

Artandco Mon 04-Aug-14 20:59:01

I would ditch bigger stuff

So something like:
X3 sleep suits and vests in newborn. X2 cardigans in newborn
X1 sleep suits and vest in 0-3

Mine were both in newborn size until 11lb so it should fit even large babies tbh. Just take one 0-3 months as if baby really doesn't fit can get someone to bring in.

Bare in mind hospitals do actually have clothes. Not enough for everyone but they expect the average person to bring newborn, so if say they had a baby that was tiny or huge they would have a few clothes to see you through. Many tiny babies don't wear any anyway so wouldn't take prem etc in

Wouldn't take milk either. Hospital will provide if you really need if you were expecting to breastfeed but can't as ill etc they just don't provide if you choose to only formula feed. Most women's milk doesn't actually come through for 2-3 days only colostrum so you wouldn't know on day one if you couldn't feed anyway and adding milk that early will hinder breast milk production

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now