Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Bra help...tmi

(22 Posts)
Dazedconfused Wed 23-Jul-14 13:05:52

I am wearing wireless bras but they are still rubbing. My bump is quite high and despite being tall there seems to be no gap between my bump and my bra/breasts. It is so sore and I can't sit at work holding the strap away from me...I do sometimes but get funny looks. It is not a case that am wearing wrong sized bra as was measured at the weekend but wondering if anyone had any tips? I can't go without as am fairly large....angry angry
thanks for any help you can give xxx

where were you measured? (some places measure and add extra inches so it may still not be the right size). Could you measure yourself and post the details here and we will tell you whether it is the right size or not?

thebetterbracampaign.blogspot.co.uk/p/fitting-advice.html - tells you how to measure

Dazedconfused Wed 23-Jul-14 13:17:31

Marks and Spencer have always been okay in the past. To be honest the bra seems to fit it is the space in between that is driving me mad. will have a go of measuring self when I get home and let you know.

nyldn Wed 23-Jul-14 13:22:05

Oh, this has been happening to me. Wound up with just a permanent sore red line at the front between my breasts and bump. Nothing has helped besides going braless when home from work. I'm so sorry... It's extremely uncomfortable.

M&S are well known for adding extra inches to the under band measurement and therefore making the band too big and the cup too small - could be what is causing the bra to rub (especially if the band is big enough to pull away from your body)

Dazedconfused Wed 23-Jul-14 13:33:04

That actually sounds right ilove they said my cup size hasn't changed (doesnt look that way) and there seems to be lots of space around the strap.
haha yeah bra comes off the minute I get home but that has always been the case

TestingTestingWonTooFree Wed 23-Jul-14 13:47:51

M&S are notorious for bad fitting. If you've got a bravissimo they're generally much better. That said, I think bra discomfort is fairly common pregnancy symptom. I quite often change into a bravissimo pyjama top when I get home from work.

CorporeSarnie Wed 23-Jul-14 13:57:00

You don't have to wear wireless if they are well fitted. Sounds like the bra isn't supportive enough if your boobs are sitting on your bump; although my bra band is sitting on the top of my bump it isn't uncomfortable. There are a number of bra interventionists on MN who might be able to help sort out what your measurements are and a suitable bra model or two for you - I think they hang around in Chat or Style & Beauty.

Dazedconfused Wed 23-Jul-14 13:59:50

Thanks I think there is a bravissmo in town so I might leave early on Friday and jump on a notorious Edinburgh tram and go there.

RiverRocks Wed 23-Jul-14 14:02:28

I read a really good website about bra size - I was in agony with mine.

It said to stand straight and measure around just under your boobs; that's the measurement you need, no adding extra inches M&S I'm looking at you. Then you bend over at 90 degrees (I appreciate probably easier said than done at the moment) push all the breast tissue from under your arms forwards and measure around them. The difference tells you what cup size.

I had been wearing a 34B, went to a 32E and I've never looked back. Measure up and go try some on is probably your best bet grin

MrsMonkeyBear Wed 23-Jul-14 14:14:31

Dazed...

The bravissimo in edinburgh are excellent. They fitted me for a bra about 6 weeks ago and they really took their time in getting me into the right one. It does take about an hour and I think they had me try on about 15 different ones, with no tape measure in sight!!!!

BalloonSlayer Wed 23-Jul-14 14:15:40

Sorry if this is a really stupid suggestion but if you are desperate what about a string bikini top? I know there is not much support there but there's something and there is very little band.

Dazedconfused Wed 23-Jul-14 14:38:54

That's good to know thanks Mrsmonkeybear. I hate getting fitted and always felt judged in marks (not sure what for though). will maybe phone to book to make sure I get in.

I actually thought about a bikini earlier might pop to Tesco and get a cheap one tonight.

Thanks everyone has been so
helpful just thought it was one of those pregnancy thongs and would.just have to deal with it.

Dazedconfused Wed 23-Jul-14 14:45:48

Haha pregnancy things not thongs....not seen a thong for months

mssleepyhead Wed 23-Jul-14 16:11:52

I gave up on proper bras because non-wired are so huge and hot! Ended up getting crop tops from sainsburys - £5 each and they've been amazing. So comfy! Not the best support in the world, but as long as I'm comfy I don't really care : )

squizita Wed 23-Jul-14 16:22:47

Word of caution regarding M&S. I always thought they were OK... until they out me down as a 34B when I was a 32DD!! shock

I now only trust Debenhams.

In terms of bras - basically in those crop top things most of the time anyway, have 2 naice maternity bras from Debenhams but in this weather...

goodbyeyellowbrickroad Wed 23-Jul-14 16:38:48

I found the Satine underwired bra from Bravissimo the most comfortable when I was pregnant. I'd wear that when I was out and then non wired bras at home. Bravissimo really are excellent and as long as it fits correctly there's no problem wearing wired bras when pregnant.

Makeupandkiss87 Sat 26-Jul-14 21:10:01

I had similar experience and tried bra fitting at M&S and Mothercare. In the end I found going braless with a 'secret support' vest and plasters on my nips to be the most comfortable option! smile

Ohwhatsoccuring Sat 26-Jul-14 21:57:21

I am also having this issue, cannot find a bra that is comfy and fits properly.
Sadly I have huge boobs so bra less is not an option as I they would hang down either side of my equally huge bump.
Now there is a mental image for you smile

Taura Sun 27-Jul-14 06:59:14

Dazed - I was in the Edinburgh Bravissimo a week or so ago and had a hormonal cry at the assistant (had bought a couple a week or so before which when I got home just weren't comfortable). She sorted me out, found me one that fits and is actually comfortable hallelujah. I will def go back when I need my next bra. She is called Margaret and gets my vote.

Heatherbell1978 Mon 28-Jul-14 20:54:40

I've had this throughout and am really sensitive in that area under my boobs anyway. I'm 37 weeks and had to give up completely on wired about 5 weeks ago. I actually had an awful experience in Bravissimo in Edinburgh when I was 8 wks. She measured me as a 30 when I normally wear a 34, partly because I can't handle really tight bras but she wouldn't listen to me and instead I ended up with a blister after wearing expensive bra for 2 days. Ouch. I've stuck with M&S, firstly their cheap wired t-shirt bras and now I'm wearing their non-wired nursing bras. I could do with more but need to wait to see if I grow more when my milk is in. Oh I've also been a bit user of bra extenders. I'm sure I'm wearing my bras too loose round the back but better than the alternative of constant discomfort. I change into comfy crop tops when I'm home (Sainsburys do great ones).

Eggletina Mon 28-Jul-14 21:10:38

I've just discovered the most comfortable bras ever - Bravado silk seamless. They're suitable as maternity or nursing bras, haven't wore anything else ( I mean any other bra) since I got a couple recently

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now