Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

A little advice needed if I may?

(5 Posts)
frogernoff Sun 20-Jul-14 18:49:38

Hi all.

I've been with the same employer for 4 years, and was working my notice period (I didn't enjoy it). The week before I was due to leave, I was offered a position within the company and have been there for 6 weeks.

I've just found out over the weekend that I'm 2 weeks pregnant (we've been actively TTC). My job involves lifting heavy boxes on a daily basis. As I'm so early, I'm concerned that if I continue to lift these boxes it may potentially do some harm. Am I over reacting or should I tell my Line Manager? I wouldn't ordinarily say anything until close to the 12 week scan, but as we've been TTC for a while, I feel very protective and don't want anything to happen.

I'm also in a 6 month trial period (not probationary period) and I wonder how this will affect my position?

Any advice would be appreciated!

NovemberRainbow Sun 20-Jul-14 19:39:51

I would not worry about the probation as if they did anything other than offer you the job at the end it would look like pregnacy discrimination.

I do not think any harm can come to the baby as such, I would think it would be you who was more likely to suffer ligament damage.

I guess you are 4 weeks from your last period? It may be awhile until you can get a booking in appointment with a midwife, but they may be able to give you some advise over then phone.

Buttercup27 Sun 20-Jul-14 19:45:05

Personally I would tell them. If the worst happens you well have to tell them due to time off etc so you might as well tell them so precautions can be put in place. I miscarried with my first pregnancy and then told my friends as I needed the support. When I next got pregnant I told friends/family/work as soon as I knew as in my head I knew I would tell them if anything went wrong so I might as well tell them that I'm actually pregnant in the first place (hope that makes sense).
Good luck and do what ever you feel necessary to keep you and baby safe.

seasavage Sun 20-Jul-14 19:46:38

Tell them, they will need to undertake a risk assessment for your job role. Also take advice from a midwife.

frogernoff Sun 20-Jul-14 20:00:12

Thanks all, much appreciated x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now