Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Homemade maternity clothes - any good patterns?

(13 Posts)
SomeSunnySunday Sun 20-Jul-14 08:42:06

I'm feeling a bit crafty (and hot!) and fancy running up a few simple maternity items - maybe a sundress and a couple of summery tops.

Has anyone made their own maternity clothes? Did you find any nice patterns, or just adapt non-pregnant ones? This is DC3 and definitely last for me, so I've sworn not to actually buy any maternity clothes... But making doesn't count, right?

Bellabutterfly2014 Sun 20-Jul-14 08:53:05

Morning sunny, well, my friend is very creative, I am not, my Mum does all my sewing!!!!! But she had the same idea and I think she found some online from ebay however, when she then priced up the materials, elastic, buttons, zips and all the other bits she said it would have been cheaper to buy some!!!!!! Go on the next sale website, search women's/maternity, they have some good things and nice quality x x

TestingTestingWonTooFree Sun 20-Jul-14 08:53:41

I found quite a few free patterns through googling. Aside from buying a maternity pattern, I think the easiest thing to do would be adapting a pattern you already know.

twiglet2 Sun 20-Jul-14 08:53:48

The collette patterns sorbetto top is one I started with when I first started making clothes. There are plenty of ideas if you google for how to adapt it, and the basic pattern is free to download. You can easily add extra fabric to it to allow for a bump.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Sun 20-Jul-14 08:54:55

I should say I haven't made anything at all. I did customise a tankini and a couple of bigger but non maternity tops and have adjusted quite a lot of maternity clothes.

lentilpot Sun 20-Jul-14 09:15:55

If you have a look at the website DIY maternity there are plenty of ideas for customisation.

I made a dress out of a Colette sorbetto free pattern a few years so- I extended the pattern just by continuing the line of the side seams. It still fits at 40 weeks pregnant and is so nice and cool in a light weight voile!

SomeSunnySunday Sun 20-Jul-14 17:07:53

Brilliant, thank you. The sorbet to top looks perfect for adapting, and there are some nice things on DIY maternity too - I hadn't previously found that through my googling! I have a get stash of fabric so should be able to make a couple of tops more or less for free, and just buy fabric for a dress.

Will also have a look at Next sale though, not averse to buying a few very cheap new things.

ithoughtofitfirst Sun 20-Jul-14 22:33:19

My mum used a pattern from the great British sewing bee book for a summwr

ithoughtofitfirst Sun 20-Jul-14 22:34:52

*summer dress

SomeSunnySunday Tue 29-Jul-14 16:20:44

Just another thank you and a bit of showing off grin. I have just finished this (I think) rather lovely dress which I found the tutorial for via a link on DIY maternity (and got the fabric for for £7/meter, half price in a sale). I'm so delighted to no longer be too hot, and have a maternity dress which doesn't flash my bra! It took about 5 hours in total. Sorbet top next up.

twiglet2 Tue 29-Jul-14 16:43:06

Well done smile I haven't done any sewing since getting pregnant, my first projec

twiglet2 Tue 29-Jul-14 16:44:07

T will be curtains for the nursery, then I'm going to have a go at some sorbetto tops as I'm running out of things that fit!

TestingTestingWonTooFree Tue 29-Jul-14 17:24:37

Good work SomeSunnySunday!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now