Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What are you eating?

(15 Posts)
LondonBOB Fri 18-Jul-14 19:44:33

I lost 3 stone before this pregnancy by following really healthy diet with help of a great nutritionist. Think it really helped me get pregnant. Anyway of course the right thing to do is to now keep that up. I'm 10 weeks today and over last 5 weeks I've fallen off the wagon a bit. Sweets, cake, ice cream have all featured! It's like I've got an excuse now!
How are the rest of yee faring? So far on here I've heard lots of ppl seeking cake and McDonalds.... How bad can it be?!
Are yee all healthy mums or just fighting to find the balance like me!?

haventgotaclue1 Fri 18-Jul-14 19:54:25

It definitely isn't just you London!

Before I became pregnant I had a really healthy diet with appropriate portion sizes. Up until about week 15 I was eating like a horse and eating enough to feed the 5,000 grin - and it was mostly rubbish - chocolate, flapjacks, pork pies etc etc - really didn't feel like fruit and veg at all. In the end I gave up worrying about it and just ate what I liked, when I liked.

Since then though, I've kind of reverted back to old diet and am really keen on salads and eating loads of fruit (think hot weather may be a contributor). Pork pies are now a thing of the past! Also finding portion sizes are much more like they used to be. I'm now almost 23 weeks and have a definite bump so maybe my stomach is beginning to get squashed and there's not enough room to still eat loads at once???...

Missingcaffeine Sat 19-Jul-14 00:06:38

I was unhealthy in first trimester, as all I could tolerate with sickness was simple carbs but I found eating them eased nausea temporarily. I put on a lot of fat. Once sickness passed, normal healthy diet has resumed and I feel like I've lost the excess fat I gained in first 14 weeks.
I've not weighed myself, I just look at how my body looks.

ImBrian Sat 19-Jul-14 00:12:53

I was being really good and had put on very little weight. The last two weeks though there has been loads of cakes etc at work and I've gone a bit over board! Back to healthy tomorrow.

Bellyrub1980 Sat 19-Jul-14 02:05:11

I'm a slimming world veteran having lost a lot of weight with them a few years ago.

In this pregnancy I really struggled to eat healthily in the 1st trimester. Partly due to mild MS but mainly because when I was hungry I was STARVING and carbs felt absolutely necessary.

I started following SW properly again about 3 weeks ago (following the pregnancy plan) and am now 26 weeks and only 3lb heavier than I was when I became pregnant. For some reason I'm finding it really easy to stay on track. I think feeling my baby move is making feel 'real' and I only want to give her healthy food.

I do feel a bit guilty about those junk filled first 12 weeks, her poor little brain having to develop with all that saturated fat, salt and sugar. I just hope I'm making up for it now.

I've had some worried criticism from colleagues who thinking being on a diet in pregnancy is horrifying. However, my midwife has been encouraging me to stick to it as it's basically just a healthy eating plan and you can eat as much as you like of the right stuff. The only thing I think I might be lacking is oily fish for the omega 3, definitely not getting any of that due to SW being a low fat diet. So now I feel guilty about not enough (healthy) fat!

Can't win!

YouMaySayImADreamer Sat 19-Jul-14 04:12:08

I can completely identify! I have been eating utter rubbish since the sickness started at 6 weeks, am now 13 weeks. I have been so worried because but I have just eaten what I can stomach. Luckily I craved nothing but cold fruit at the start and sometimes had that for lunch, and went off chocolate and sweets for a while.

For the first few weeks of sickness however, I struggled to eat much at all and the thought of drinking even made me feel so sick. Some days all I could stomach was lucozade. But I found that being hungry actually made me feel worse and I took to eating lots of carbs and in particular an unhealthy shop sandwich most lunch times.

In the last week or so my appetitie for sweets and chocolate has returned and I have indulged it far too much. I have also taken to cravings for full fat coke to fend off the last remaining waves of nausea. The sickness is slowly waning and my appetite returning and i'm embarrassed by the crap i've eaten. Ive vowed to eat healthier from today, especially as I had my 12 week scan yesterday so I feel like it is a good time for a fresh start!

I am usually quite slim but I am starting to feel flabby so going to start some light regular exercise too as ive vowed to make this pregnancy a healthy one!

LBNM19 Sat 19-Jul-14 08:21:39

I've found it really difficult the first 16 weeks whilst I had the sickness I basically didn't eat, I was sick every single day. Then I got my appetite back and was eating healthy, chicken, potatoes, pasta etc now for the past few weeks I can't stop eating chocolate and cakes, I also have to eat what I fancy which is usually a ready made meal, I feel really bad but can't bring myself to eat anything/cook I'm always so tired (I'm now 26 weeks) x

LondonBOB Sat 19-Jul-14 09:53:29

Thanks guys for the responses.... It is reassuring to know it's not uncommon. belly I'm really impressed by your discipline now... For healthy fats I'm mainlining avocados and seeds (when I'm not down in samba swirl for salted caramel frozen yoghurt!!!)
I'm just going to try and take one day at a time..... And not get too many guilts... I go mad at DH if he says anything to me about food....

I'm eating salad, falafel, lighter cottage cheese, fruit, the occasional rice cake and had a glass of milk blended with a teaspoon of options low cal hot chocolate last night (I hate the taste of milk but felt I needed some extra calcium/protein and didn't want to eat eat iyswim.)

Estimated at just over 5 weeks, couldn't contemplate much else in this heat though.

Oh and loads and loads of sugar free squash/water!

I think if you have lots of healthy stuff ready for when you're hungry, it works best. Congrats in losing your 3 stone though! Very impressive and you know you have that self control. smile

And exercise wise yoga 5-6 times a week and 40 mins of cardio 5 x a week (usually more but can't in this heat, have to split it into 20 mins twice a day).

September60b Sat 19-Jul-14 12:28:05

I was a really healthy eater before I got pregnant but once I had hit about 6 weeks I couldn't get enough of sandwiches, crisps and cake! I felt bad at the time but I've had a previous mc and just thought I would go with the flow this time round!

This has all changed since I got to 14 weeks and now I struggle to find things I actually want to eat. I've gone off pretty much everything, although I'm hoping that it's partly to do with the heat.

ohthegoats Sat 19-Jul-14 12:39:33

A subject close to my heart. I started off overweight, but didn't know my actual weight due to previous eating disorder problems. I've been forced to engage with it over the last week though, and at 30 weeks have found I've only put on 10lbs since booking in at 6 weeks.

I've been eating pretty erratically to be honest - rarely eating three proper meals a day, which I was religious about before. I'm sort of grazing on whatever takes my fancy, and have had slight 'preferences' at different stages. I wouldn't call them cravings. I had icecream fortnight, when I could have eaten icecream 10+ times a day, then lots and lots of time when I only wanted to eat fruit, others when it was all chicken sandwiches and so on. Now I know my weight, I'm trying not to get myself back into obsessing about food, but it's going to be hard.

Latest preferences are for jelly, fruity ice lollies, and beans on toast. Beans on toast for breakfast, then jelly/ice lollies for every other meal. Weird.

ohthegoats Sat 19-Jul-14 12:41:06

Oh, I also had a period of time where I didn't want to eat at all, and another where I was hungry all the time - while being hungry I kept a pretty close eye on eating only healthy stuff, I suppose it went on for about a month. But I planned all my meals around fruit/veg/protein and low GI carbs, which seemed to work well enough to satisfy my hunger.

MultipleMama Sat 19-Jul-14 15:50:24

I've hardly got an appetite and wish I could scoff my face! The smell and look of food doesn't make me sick, I'm just never hungry. All I seem to be eating lately is homemade granola bars, rice snacks, mash potato with cheese and sesame seed snaps. My weight drastically goes up and down during pregnancy so my lack of appetite doesn't help.

However, I've noticed from my other PGs that around the 24 week mark, that I find chocolate biscuits become my weakness and that milky ways become my daily "fix". Now, it doesn't help that I now leave close to my MIL who loves to bake and makes a fabulous black forest cake...

Chunderella Sat 19-Jul-14 20:52:08

You just have to eat what you can manage in the early stages. I had virtually no appetite at all last time, was on more like 2000 calories a week than a day, and DD still was fine. If you ate well before the pregnancy and have good reserves, that helps.

This time I have slightly more of an appetite in that I actually get hungry, but that's not matched with increased tolerance for food. So am spending most of the day eating little and often and hating it. I find toast and fruit are going down most easily. Until this week I had been able to manage small portions of 'real' food but can't seem to do that now, just heave it back up again. The heat really isn't helping. DH made lemon chicken and broccoli last night, which I usually love, and I couldn't eat a mouthful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now