Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

White Wine alternative

(21 Posts)
Noodledoodledoo Fri 18-Jul-14 19:21:39

Hi all

In this hot weather I have been really missing that nice feeling of a crisp dry glass of white wine. Not fussed about the alcohol but really missing drinking something not sweet and not fizzy!

I have just tried for the first time a bottle of Sorelle from Tesco and its hitting the spot quite nicely! Very similar to a Cabernet Sauvignon.

It is slightly sparkling but not enough to disappoint.

oohdaddypig Fri 18-Jul-14 19:26:25

What is sorrelle! Is it a non alcohol wine?

I have the so craving which I'm managing to satisfy by this lemon juice stuff called PLJ with fizzy water. It's deliciously sour! In the juice aisle of sainsburys...

Noodledoodledoo Fri 18-Jul-14 19:30:21

It is marketed as a sparkling non alcoholic wine.

Until now - I am 7 months - have been fine with water, squash, tonic water, etc but really wanted something non fizzy but tasty.

www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=272839801

kinkymouse Fri 18-Jul-14 19:35:05

Make your own nonalcoholic pimms.

'Tis delicious and so refreshing. 1 litre lemonade with 1.5 tablespoons of good quality balsamic vinegar then add all the pimns trimmings. Sounds gross I know but it is very pimns like and not sickly like most non alcoholic drinks.

PassTheAnswers Fri 18-Jul-14 19:37:03

I liked the tesco sparkling fruit juices last time- elderflower and white grape chilled with a ton of ice. No where near as good as a vat of beautifully chilled wine or fizz but did the job.

PassTheAnswers Fri 18-Jul-14 19:38:00

Agree , a lot of them are really sweet. And just the thought of that is making me want ice cold bitter lemon. Mmm

Noodledoodledoo Fri 18-Jul-14 19:54:37

I have managed so far with juices, ginger beers etc, but its the non fizzy I was craving!!

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Fri 18-Jul-14 19:56:54

Make a virgin mojito - soda water, sugar, mint and lime mixed together over lots of ice.

AnneEyhtMeyer Fri 18-Jul-14 19:58:33

Elderflower cordial is good.

Not the point I know, but Cabernet Sauvignon is a red wine, so I think you mean something else!

Noodledoodledoo Fri 18-Jul-14 20:03:38

You are right - I mean Sauvignon Blanc - been a bit of a tough day - last proper day of work and struggling to give up work. Hence the need for wine!!!

Cabernet Sauvignon is my favourite normally!

weebairn Fri 18-Jul-14 20:26:05

Non alcoholic wines are horrible. Beers are good- specially Erdinger.

I don't like sweet drinks and the best alcohol substitute I've found is as follows (cheap too!):

Juice of half a lime (I just keep a bottle of lime juice in my fridge)
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
Soda water

The salt really makes it- so refreshing.

weebairn Fri 18-Jul-14 20:26:43

I also just HAVE a glass of wine now and again when I really want it!

oohdaddypig Fri 18-Jul-14 20:59:33

weebairn me too. A half glass with iced soda water is my weekly treat!

The pimms sounds so odd I gotta try it. What are the pimms trimmings?

Miriama Sun 20-Jul-14 16:34:39

Ooh Weebairn, I'm loving the sound of your lime drink. I've been having apple juice, fizzy water and tons of ice. Oohdaddy Pimms trimmings are sliced orange, lemon, strawberry, mint and cucumber - Pimms is lush!

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Sun 20-Jul-14 17:34:40

I have been drinking marks Spencer lime presse with lemon grass comes in a glass 1 litre bottle n twinpack is £4ish I think.

nikki1978 Sun 20-Jul-14 17:38:17

I really like the non alcoholic fizzy wine in Sainsburys (comes with a cork and everything so feels like you are drinking Prosecco). Can't help with the non fizzy though as I only like sparkling wine!

Nothing wrong with having a glass of wine each week when pregnant though.

mupperoon Sun 20-Jul-14 17:44:41

We drank Eisberg whites and rose for the first half of the pregnancy but I got bored of them, and they are a little too sweet really for food.

Now drinking alcohol free Becks and Bavaria Witbier on a regular basis but like weebairn I've had a glass of wine here and there when I wanted one. There's just not enough coherent evidence against 1-2 glasses a week of wine. In fact there's an Australian study which suggests better behavioural outcomes for children whose mums drank a couple of glasses of wine a week.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Sun 20-Jul-14 17:47:37

Ive just been having wine when I really want one.

Pre pregnancy id have a couple of glasses on a friday. Now, pregnant, I have a glass every other friday.

oohdaddypig Sun 20-Jul-14 21:34:07

Have ordered Erdinger in my weekly shop. Will report back!

They didnt have Sorrelle. Am yet to try Pimms...

<just wants wine>

mrsgembles Sun 20-Jul-14 23:15:43

Just have wine then! But half a glass or something.

oohdaddypig Mon 21-Jul-14 05:58:22

Ah, I do mrsgembles. Once or twice a week!

I want MORE in a kind of odd, pregnancy craving way.... Usually, i hardly drink at all... Hoping the beer cuts it grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now