Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Getting worried about 12 week scan...

(24 Posts)
spence24 Fri 18-Jul-14 14:45:16

It's on Sunday. I probably have no reason to be worried, but I think I've just scared myself with the internet, and too much reading. All family are really excited about the scan date now being in a couple of days and being able to go public, but I am terrified of something being wrong and having to tell them that they won't be GPs, because I've lost it.

I guess I just need some hand-holding. I've not been overly sick, but evenings of queasiness in weeks 7-9, and then disappeared at 9 and a half. Been so very tired, struggled on days where I can't catch a nap, have super sense of smell and gone off some favourite things (cups of tea mostly). Other than those, I've been totally fine. I feel like I should have felt worse, so that things are "developing well" - even though I know that it's different for everyone and just because something does or doesn't happen it doesn't always mean anything is wrong.

Sorry for the self-pitying. The excitement from the parents and in-laws just feels like pressure to come back with good news and I'm terrified.

Marnierose Fri 18-Jul-14 15:08:30

Don't worry the odds are stacked massively in your favour. And if it's bad news you can't chabge it, it just wasn't meant to be. Good luck and keep us updated smile smile

MultipleMama Fri 18-Jul-14 15:44:04

Don't worry. I had my first scan today, and found out I was further along than I thought. I have had no symtoms whatsoever except from exhaustion and fatigue but that could be due to my low iron and B12 levels smile

woodwaj Fri 18-Jul-14 15:47:29

Feeling exactly the same and worrying about lack of symptoms. I think its normal to feel that way!! Just one worry after the next isnt it!!

Bimberley Fri 18-Jul-14 16:00:34

I feel the same. My 12 week scan is next Friday and I can't help thinking something is wrong. My symptoms have got better and I can drink tea again without gagging which is worrying me!

GailLondon Fri 18-Jul-14 16:01:10

Hi Spence,

My scan is on Sunday too. I lost my baby at 12 weeks last time so I am pretty terrified!
You've made it to 12 weeks with no bleeding or other bad signs so the odds really are in your (and my!) favour. Good luck for sunday x

JennyBlueWren Fri 18-Jul-14 16:37:33

Bimberley mine is next Friday too!
I wasn't too worried until I read a few posts on here about people finding out they'd MMC at the 12 week scan. As I've only had a bit of nausea and lots of tiredness I've started worrying about lack of signs. I think worrying is quite normal. Good luck!

natharley11 Fri 18-Jul-14 16:52:44

Mine on Monday and I feel same im absolutely terrified
Just keeping all crossed for the best xx

Happilymarried155 Fri 18-Jul-14 16:53:19

spence I know how you feel we have miscarried previously and this time had a scan at 7+2 which showed a healthy little bean and a heartbeat. I thought this would put my mind at rest as after seeing a heartbeat your chance of a miscarriage gets lower and it calmed me for about 2 days! Im back worrying again now and have booked another scan for tommorow when il be 10 weeks. I am unbelievably terrified!

Now I think about it I think that I will always be worried, if its not the 12 week scan, its the 20 week, then its if their growing properly and moving properly and then they are born and its a whole new set of worries. Ive decided its all part of becoming a parent and this worry is a taster of the next 18 years!!
Good Luck I hope it goes well xx

SarahMcCxx Fri 18-Jul-14 16:57:40

It's perfectly normal to feel anxious. After my 12 week scan I thought that I would stop worrying, but I still get anxious now and im 24 weeks. I think most mums to be will worry right up until the day that you hold your baby in your arms! Im sure it will all be fine. Good luck!

spence24 Fri 18-Jul-14 17:37:39

Thank you all. I don't think this heat is helping as I don't deal with it well at the best of times and I'm irritable and hot and bothered so it just puts me on edge!
I guess all will be answered (for now) on Sunday morning. I just really want all to be fine because we're really looking forward to telling OHs 8 year old daughter. A sibling is what she's wanted for five years and I think she's resigned herself to it never happening now, and we've planned to take her out for lunch and tell her as a big summer holiday surprise.

JennyBlueWren Fri 18-Jul-14 17:55:01

My dad says you don't stop worrying at the 12 week scan -he still worries and his oldest is 32 years! Apparently he only sleeps when we're all home safe. This rarely ever happens now so he must get only a few nights a year!

spence24 Fri 18-Jul-14 17:56:16

Good luck to all of you who have your scans this coming week too! I hope all is perfect for each of us! [Smile]

natharley11 Sun 20-Jul-14 08:43:26

Hi spence hope scan goes ok for you today xx

MarchEliza Sun 20-Jul-14 09:00:56

I know what you mean, I've had nothing but nausea for weeks (am currently 8.5 weeks) and now it's stopped. I am pleased to have some energy back and feel better but I'm so paranoid something has gone wrong. My first scan is not booked in until 16 weeks so I've got 2 months to wait... sad

Fingers crossed for everyone.

ShitStickSugar Sun 20-Jul-14 09:06:07

I was terrified at my 12 weeks scan. Worried at my 15week midwife appt incase they couldn't fjnd a heart beat. Now im worried aboyt my 20week scan!! I dont think im going to stop worrying!

Doesnt help I read about someone on here that got tk their 20 week scan and their baby had died at 16 weeka. Dh doesn't help either because his ex wofe lost a baby quite late on. We read about it and hear about it a lot. But really it is very unlikely. X

ShitStickSugar Sun 20-Jul-14 09:06:41

Sorry about typos!

woodwaj Sun 20-Jul-14 10:06:34

Good luck today op

natharley11 Sun 20-Jul-14 10:15:44

Yeah I think sometimes make it worse esp as you read on here about it a lot but don't think all that common I hope. Mine ia tomorrow and terrified taking my lo out swimming try distract myself from thinking about it

natharley11 Mon 21-Jul-14 16:34:24

Just wanted say had mine today and despite my fear. All was well and baby was moving loads. Soo relieved
Thanks girls xx

MultipleMama Mon 21-Jul-14 16:51:00

That's great to hear nat! Mine was mover too - they were putting on a show! grin. I have myself booked for private gender scan in a couple of weeks time. As I'm now anxious to make sure they're still healthy!

Bimberley Mon 21-Jul-14 17:00:05

Hope everything went well today spence!
Hello Jenny! Hope everything goes well Friday! Time is dragging! Just want it to be over with! Only symptom today is a bit of heartburn!

JennyBlueWren Fri 25-Jul-14 20:02:41

Bimberley Hope all went well for you today. Turns out I'm not quite 10 weeks yet so have to go back again but we saw a heartbeat and lots of wriggling.

weeblueberry Fri 25-Jul-14 21:48:59

How did you scan go spence?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now