Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

drinking water before 20 week scan

(15 Posts)
CatFaceCrayola Thu 17-Jul-14 22:43:54

Have my scan tomorrow.

Is it as critical to drink lots of water beforehand as it was for the 12 week scan? Nobody has told me anything.

gallicgirl Thu 17-Jul-14 22:45:33

I didn't have to drink water for 1st scan either.

deborah86 Thu 17-Jul-14 23:48:53

No water required for your 20 week scan. It only for 12 week scan to push the womb forward but its up to your belly button now. My 20 week scan tomorrow too. Im well ecxited

hartmel Fri 18-Jul-14 01:35:22

I had to drink water for my 20 week scan.
But I don't live in uk..

twiglet2 Fri 18-Jul-14 07:08:19

The letter confirming the date for my 20 week scan said the same as my 12 week scan, to drink a couple of glasses of water before the scan. Probably not quite as important though at 20 weeks though I would have thought.

polkadotdelight Fri 18-Jul-14 07:11:40

My letter said to drink water before the 20 week scan and I rang them to confirm it. In our hospital we have to drink (I certainly didn't drink a litre!).

squizita Fri 18-Jul-14 07:34:17

I've never had to drink water before a scan at my hospital, apparently their equipment picks up everything fine without it! In fact once I did anyway and was sent off to do a wee! smile

Stargirl7 Fri 18-Jul-14 07:52:18

I did drink water as letter indicated it, but then they messed up my time and I had to pee due to 2 hr wait! They then said I didn't need to have full bladder because of position of baby at that point. Not had to drink any water for any of my other (5...eep) scans. You'll be fine without! Hope you haven't a lovely scan. X

PresidentSpreadable Fri 18-Jul-14 08:08:44

My letter for my scan says there is no need to have a full bladder.

Heatherbell1978 Fri 18-Jul-14 08:45:50

My letters inviting me for both scans told me to drink lots and have a full bladder. Cue me getting sent to the toilet twice during my 12 wk scan to empty my bladder as it was too full to see anything......I was also told at that point I had an unusually large bladder!! So I didn't bother drinking anything extra before my 20 wk scan and it was fine:-)

SassehMonsta Fri 18-Jul-14 09:03:02

weirdly I was told by my sonographer at my 12 week scan that I should eat somethign sugary about half an hourbefore my20 week appointment!

ChazzerChaser Fri 18-Jul-14 09:06:24

I drank a bit and got sent out to the naughty chair with a jug to drink some more.

moggle Fri 18-Jul-14 10:28:19

Our hospital tells us we don't need a full bladder and the sonographer stands there waiting while we are sent for a wee before the scan :-) funny how it's different ...

amicablemoomin Fri 18-Jul-14 18:08:26

my midwife said full bladder....probably worth giving the number on your confirmation letter or midwife a quick call to confirm.

BlueThursday Fri 18-Jul-14 19:19:47

For my 12 week nothing was on the letter; it was my practice nurse who said go with a full bladder.

Cue me hopping about in the waiting room only to be told once the scan stated to go empty it because she couldn't see!

Baby was still upside down for most of the time. I was about to be sent for sugar before baby flipped for a minute after some hip wiggling

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now