Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Do scans have the fathers name on?

(288 Posts)
shellmont Fri 11-Jul-14 22:22:23

Hi, hope someone can help, my sons x girlfriend has turned up with a scan of 9 week twins and printed on the scan in the left hand corner just under sex unknown it says fathers name and has his name on.
I do not think its real and wondered if there is anyone out there who has had a scan at The University Hospital north staffs and if they can tell me if the hospital put the fathers name on scans.

Mumof3xox Fri 11-Jul-14 22:23:18

I have never ever heard of this

lucidlady Fri 11-Jul-14 22:24:36

Never seen father's name on a scan.

Ilovefood15 Fri 11-Jul-14 22:25:05

I've never heard of that and I wouldn't have thought they could do that if he wasn't there to consent?

hugebagsisanunderstatement Fri 11-Jul-14 22:25:25

No hospital I know of put the fathers name on the scan pic, just the mother's.

MrsGrumpyPants Fri 11-Jul-14 22:26:42

Never heard of this, ever, and I work in this field. There physically isn't a box on the login screen where you would input this information on the ultrasound machine.

PuppyMummy Fri 11-Jul-14 22:27:23

all my scans had my name on. I can't think how the fathers name would end up on it as the scans tie in with the mothers notes/records held by the hospital.

if it was a private scan and he booked it in his name then that might be possible??

scotchtikidoll Fri 11-Jul-14 22:28:38

I'm sure it is easily editable- when I had a private scan they asked which surname I wanted on it and they typed it on then and there. Perhaps she requested it?

Sounds wrong to me, also in the field.

MisForMumNotMaid Fri 11-Jul-14 22:30:07

Impressive technology that.

I've had scans in four different county's none have had fathers name.

shellmont Fri 11-Jul-14 22:31:06

Thank you, he was not there and I did not think they could, He is going to phone the hospital on Monday to check.
She wants him back and has been stalking him, turning up at his work, sending dozens of e mails and phone calls.

CaterpillarInvestigationTeam Fri 11-Jul-14 22:31:27

I've worked in 4 different trusts and never seen this done.

duvetfan Fri 11-Jul-14 22:31:39

My scan pictures only had my name at the top. Father not mentioned anywhere on the scans. Never even been asked about the father's details other than my DHs details at the booking appointment.

Mumof3xox Fri 11-Jul-14 22:31:44

She's probably not even pregnant me thinks

Wickeddevil Fri 11-Jul-14 22:31:47

Do you have other reasons to be concerned OP? It does sound unusual.

MrsGrumpyPants Fri 11-Jul-14 22:32:40

I'm a bit confused, was he at the scan or not? Or is his ex girlfriend telling him that that the babies are his and he's not convinced? A name on a scan means nothing.

I still very much doubt that any sonographer would input the name of a father who wasn't physically present. We simply don't. It would breach all sorts of patient confidentiality and data protection issues. And it would be utterly irrelevant to the care of the mother and the progress of the pregnancy.

BikeRunSki Fri 11-Jul-14 22:33:17

Surely it's a medical procedure that only needs to have the patient's name on? I had loads of scans over 2 pg, only ever had my name on.

MrsGrumpyPants Fri 11-Jul-14 22:34:20

Sorry x post!

Sounds very very fishy to me. This is absolutely not standard NHS or even private policy.

shellmont Fri 11-Jul-14 22:37:22

NHS hospital. X girlfriends name was at the top at the bottom it said
Fathers name then his name

mannii23 Fri 11-Jul-14 22:39:10

scan at 9wks? i thought 12-14wks was standard

MrsGrumpyPants Fri 11-Jul-14 22:41:36

Still sounds wrong to me. The Trust could not prove the paternity of every pregnancy, so would not input that data on a formal medical examination. They would open themselves up to all sorts of accusations of libel/ slander (whichever one it is!).

I would suspect either it's been doctored by her, or she has a "friend" in the ultrasound department who has added that comment onto the ultrasound screen while taking the images.

Heartsandspades Fri 11-Jul-14 22:42:07

I had a private scan where they put my name at the top and then at the bottom 'baby (insert surname)' perhaps they could have inserted his name if she had asked??
Sounds very strange to me though

MrsGrumpyPants Fri 11-Jul-14 22:42:11

We often do early pregnancy/ viability scans at 9 weeks

shellmont Fri 11-Jul-14 22:44:12

He was not at the scan.She says it was done in our local NHS hospital.
We do not believe she is pregnant she just wants him back, its quite sad really.

BikeRunSki Fri 11-Jul-14 22:44:15

I had a scan at 9 wks. Scans pre12 weeks are done if there's a potential problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now