Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

working in a pub while pregnant.

(9 Posts)
DragonFlyx Fri 11-Jul-14 11:18:56

Any fellow pub workers here? I'd like to know how long you worked before leaving on maternity. I have some weeks holiday built up and could possibly add those onso I can leave earlier as I'm worried.

With my first my feet/legs/ankles swollen up pretty badly that I couldn't wear anything but this one pair of flip flops, and forget walking or standing for too long.

A few of the drinks already smell pretty strong now and are making me a little queezy, I haven't even started on the tiredness.

I am in my first trimester and I do know each pregancy is different, but I'm worried I won't be able to continue with standing and walking for long periods of time.

Advice appreciated!

squizita Fri 11-Jul-14 11:25:35

I work on my feet, not in a pub though.

I found that I started feeling much, much better about 12-14 weeks (tiredness and sickness) and am only just getting tired and achey again at 31 weeks. I bought some cheap Primark slip ons 1 size up too. Phew.

Hopefully it will happen to you! smile

DragonFlyx Fri 11-Jul-14 12:58:30

I hope so too! I'm starting to have better days where I don't feel so tired or sick, then worse days. Someone told me to invest in some crocs for work, apparently there comfyness makes up for there uglyness! Lol!

MrsMonkeyBear Fri 11-Jul-14 14:28:35

I'm another one who is on my feet all day (chef). The first tri was a bit 'orible to say the least. Smell of certain foods and using alcohol in the kitchen made me queasy. Now 25 weeks and have brought a stool into the kitchen so if I need a wee sit down I can. I'm finishing up at 34 weeks (9 weeks to go eeeeeeek.). I did think I would be finishing up by 28 weeks but as long as I feel ok, I'm going to keep going.

MsBug Fri 11-Jul-14 14:31:20

I didn't regularly work on my feet so feel free to disregard my opinion grin, but when I had to do a lot of standing / walking I found fitflops the most comfortable footwear during pregnancy. I had the shoes and was most upset when I could no longer bend to tie the laces!

squizita Fri 11-Jul-14 14:41:36

Dragon crocs also make some shoes that look a bit more like normal shoes! If you find your nearest actual shop you might find some to try on.

DragonFlyx Fri 11-Jul-14 14:46:52

Due to my line of work, we can't wear flip flops - oh I wish we could although my feet weren't pretty in my last pregnancy with my fat squished toes. I don't think I'd be allowed a stool, customers might criticize that they think its lazy etc. Deffonately going to look into these Dragon crocs now, especially as I wear trousers that pretty much cover most of my tiny feet :D

How was anyone with taking time off? No one at work knows I'm pregnant so I'm having to hide alot of my symptoms, I was always poorly with my first. Countless nights in hospital or stuck up in bed, iv never had a day off in two Years even when poorly. Anyone get away with no sick days?

MsBug Fri 11-Jul-14 15:06:49

due to being pg in autumn/winter, I mostly wore the proper shoe ones eg like these

laurenamium Fri 11-Jul-14 17:11:31

Hi I was due December 1st and started struggling with low shelves for glasses and picking up the dishwasher trays full of glasses so I went earlier. I had 4 weeks holidays I took so I went off from 1st November officially on maternity but was more like beginning of October by the time my holidays were tagged on. I went over though DD was born on the 14th and I was BORED. I wished I had a job that I could have worked longer in to take longer off with DD

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now