Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

when did you start buying?

(44 Posts)
DragonFlyx Fri 11-Jul-14 11:13:39

Im only 6(roughly, not seen a MW yet) weeks pregnant and iv already started buying new born nappies.. I also got a manual breast pump that was on offer, it was a steal so couldn't not buy it. Before anyone lectures about the breast pump, if I use it, I use it, if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out is the way I see it smile

We've had family ask to buy things already and ask what they can get for baby 2.

I waited till my first scan with my first before I bought anything. I think I'm getting a little ahead of myself and should probably stop now till my scan.

When did you lot start buying things?

kitkat321 Sat 12-Jul-14 22:35:02

I'm 19 weeks and still not bought a think (although I think my mums family have started knitting bits and pieces).

20 scan is a week on Monday - if that all goes ok I'm going to sort out the key things (pram etc)

In the midst of a house move so won't bother with the rest until we've moved to the new house,

omama Sat 12-Jul-14 14:00:50

First time around, I bought stuff straight after the 12 week scan. The next time I bought a couple of bits at around 8 weeks, but sadly miscarried at 11 weeks. Having to take them back to the shops was just awful & heartbreaking.

So this time, I've not bought a thing yet. I've not even looked. I'm 19 weeks & anomaly scan is next week. Once I've had that, assuming everything is ok, I might then start to sort through the stuff we've already got & buy the extra bits we need.

curiousgeorgie Sat 12-Jul-14 13:29:38

I bought stuff from the day of the positive test blush

ACM88 Sat 12-Jul-14 13:10:57

I'm just 12 weeks, not buying stuff yet- partly because we are moving house soon so don't want extra things to pack, but also things can go wrong. This is my first pregnancy, and no family history of MC but I know it's a very real,traumatic experience for some couples, and I don't want that!

There is no urgency to buy yet, we have a list, we will start around 20week mark!

Heatherbell1978 Sat 12-Jul-14 12:37:26

I waited until after 20 wk scan but did lots of 'virtual buying' before then. We've bought a lot of stuff new so I spent weeks checking out reviews, comparing prices etc so by the time my scan happened I knew exactly what I needed to buy and just went from there but then nursery room wasn't cleared until I was about 26 wks so couldn't buy much before then.

FTMK Sat 12-Jul-14 11:04:09

I am 21 weeks and have bought nothing. Am just starting to think I might be ready but also due to previous loss and being an older mum, I didn't want to have loads of stuff that I had to take back if something was wrong. I did feel a bit like I would jinx it but also just didn't want to have things in the house that I would have to decide whether to keep or not in the unhappy event of something going wrong. I am also a teacher and have been so busy the last few weeks that I haven't had time to go near a shop so am waiting until we break up and then we will do some bits.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Sat 12-Jul-14 10:39:16

Totally agree Squizita. It's why I had to wait until after the 20 week scan, it's called the anomaly scan for a reason, it's not just where you can find out the gender. Although I admit my paranoia partly comes from being a children's nurse and not seeing 'normal' children.

Not trying to put a downer on things either, but it has nothing to do with superstition and more to do with protecting my own feelings.

mrsnec Sat 12-Jul-14 10:29:34

Squitz, I struggled to get that point across to my family. I told them not to buy anything until I was ready. This pg was very soon after my last loss so I think that added to my caution I then didn't get any reassurance everything was ok until a private scan at 22 weeks. They all keep referring to my 'silly superstition' and accused me of being ungreatful. Then mil refused to keep it all in her house because it was taking up too much space. Then because I had to let her buy things my mum took that as her cue too, so it's all in the garage wrapped in plastic. I want to set up a nursery now but I'm still too nervous and I ordered a dress for her in the boden sale this morning and that made me nervous too.

Really feel for you on your last experience with maternity clothes. Thankfully I hadn't bought any last time.this time I left even that until I was bursting out of everything.

squizita Sat 12-Jul-14 10:18:32

One in 4 women experience miscarriage, and 15% of pregnancies sadly end before 12 weeks. If you think it a silly superstition not to buy things before you've seen a scan or had a good 8 weeks, I am genuinely envious of your state of mind.

It's not the same as the olden days extreme of nothing in the house beforehand (because of course more women/babies died in childbirth 100 years ago). That is different now. It's not just a silly superstition.

_The first of my losses happened when I had purchased a maternity dress. It arrived as I arrived back from the hospital. Straight to Oxfam. Enormously, enormously upsetting experience for me.
I can only imagine what it would have been like taking unused babygros, toys or a moses basket._

I'm sorry if that is a bit of a downer but I don't think we should be telling people that not buying till a little later is just superstition.

polkadotdelight Sat 12-Jul-14 10:04:01

We bought the cot and moses after the 20 week scan and the travel system at about 25 weeks. At 30.now and starting to stock up but I had an early mc before so have been cautious.

Our cot, moses, steriliser, pump and travel system are all second hand (new mattress and car seat) as we are saving where we can to have a full year off. I have spent on maternity clothes (new look and h&m) as Ive struggled a little with my changing figure.

Its exciting but dont get carried away!

OhTheDrama Sat 12-Jul-14 09:55:12

I'm 9 weeks on Tuesday with DC3 and I have bought a pack of muslins in M&S sale. They were £2.50 for 5 really brightly printed ones so I couldn't resist, can't have enough muslins. As I'm due in February I'm buying no more until the January sales. I had a mc at 12 weeks in May and have fallen pg again straight away so it's partly due to superstition and partly due to not wanting to go mad money wise.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Sat 12-Jul-14 09:36:52

I don't think it's got anything to do with being superstitious. I have friends who have had losses, including myself, some late on. I couldn't imagine coming back home to a load of baby stuff you then have to pack away, it would be heartbreaking.

DrewsWife Sat 12-Jul-14 09:11:08

When I first found out I was pregnant. On a Friday at 4am. I work until 2am lol. I woke hubby up and told him and by 11am he was down at pram shop shopping. He bought a travel system and all I wanted to do was shake him lol. I worked out we were 4 weeks pregnant.

By 11 weeks he had started reading to bump. grin

Go for it. Don't be superstitious. What ever happens happens

Enjoy the excitement.

Oh I'm now 17 weeks pregnant and all we need now is the baby. grin He has been buying lots for bump every week. ;)

weebairn Sat 12-Jul-14 08:34:54

Other than the odd cute top and collecting bits mates were giving me, from after 30 weeks.

ImBrian Sat 12-Jul-14 08:33:20

We had a gender scan at 16 weeks so picked up some vests and hats after that. I got my Moses basket just before my 20 week scan. Then a couple of bits after that. I'll prob get pushchair and other big things in a couple of months.

RetroHippy Sat 12-Jul-14 07:47:40

11 + 5 here. Not started yet, but that's mainly cos I'm waiting to finish work for the summer (teacher). My scan is also on the first Monday of the holidays which is convenient.

Over the holidays I'm going to redecorate the nursery as I know full well that once term starts again that's all I've energy for till I finish at Christmas at 34 weeks. (I want a half term babymoon!). So I suspect a lot of buying will occur in the next seven weeks grin.

Just go for it. I'm determined to enjoy this pg. I know someone who was so paranoid she left the tags on everything until after her son was born, 'just in case'. I can totally understand if you have a history of early mc, but this is my first pg and I'm staying optimistic.

OneLittleToddleTerror Fri 11-Jul-14 22:38:01

I just ordered my first baby item and I'm 30 weeks. It is a soft toy, saw it on a sale at mothercare.

natharley11 Fri 11-Jul-14 20:20:45

O can't wait to start buying. My sister is also pregnant 8 weeks and has ordered cot already x

Redling Fri 11-Jul-14 20:07:26

I started buying after 12 weeks as soon as I saw there was really a baby in there! Now at 35 I have everything including a packed hospital bag. I'm so glad as since 30 weeks I frankly don't have the energy, now I get to rest before he comes.

Acorncat Fri 11-Jul-14 19:48:30

I'm 31 weeks and have a buggy and a cot mattress, but no cot. And I have a small sleeping bag. Still feels too soon to be buying things denial

We've been promised a few outfits, baby bath etc from friends so could count that too.

Missingcaffeine Fri 11-Jul-14 19:44:00

30 weeks tomorrow and have only bought 1 little top a few weeks ago, and that was because I just spotted it in a shop and it had text on it that I knew would really make my OH laugh (it did).
I've looked at loads of stuff, and have started looking at what crib we might get, but something has seemed to stop me actually buying! Don't know why!!

ohthegoats Fri 11-Jul-14 19:31:24

I'm 29 weeks. We only have a buggy. Absolutely nothing else... erk.

JennyBlueWren Fri 11-Jul-14 19:18:01

I'm 10 weeks and I think if I saw something esp cute I might buy it but not actively looking (other than following links people put on here!), I think after the 12 week scan I'll buy something special and start making lists of what I want as I'd like to find as much as I can secondhand.

woodwaj Fri 11-Jul-14 18:38:45

Ooh natharley scan buddies!!

mssleepyhead Fri 11-Jul-14 18:09:27

started slowly at 18 weeks, then after the 20 week scan it was full steam ahead. am a teacher and wanted to do things in the holidays, when i had the time and energy, so all got sorted by may half term. now 34 weeks and looking forward to a relaxing summer so i'm pleased i did it that way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now