Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

When to finish work ...

(17 Posts)
SweetPeaPods Fri 11-Jul-14 11:11:09

I'm in a pickle....
Currently booking annual leave before I go on mat leave in Sept. I've got the choice of finishing either 1 week earlier by booking a full week off (5days) or booking 1 days annual leave a week for 5 weeks so I'll only work 4 days a week for 5 weeks. I wish I could do both so really can't decide!! What would you do/have you decided ?

lynniep Fri 11-Jul-14 11:20:11

Personally I'd make my weeks shorter. There is a period of boredom before you give birth that I didn't really enjoy ( I finished work 2 weeks before due date). Although in your case I would have reduced my maternity leave taken before the birth and taken the annual leave instead to give myself more time off after the birth.

SweetPeaPods Fri 11-Jul-14 11:22:04

I don't think I'll get bored, ds1 will keep me occupied.
I'm tired now so not sure I'll manage at 36w working full time plus ds.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Fri 11-Jul-14 11:22:35

How much Mat Leave have you got before your due date?

nc060 Fri 11-Jul-14 11:49:37

I had originally booked 1 day off per week and then had extra holidays to use before finishing up so used them to merge the extra days into a week and a bit...now I wish I had used the extra days to make more 4 day weeks as I could really use them now, super tired and achy come Friday!!

SweetPeaPods Fri 11-Jul-14 12:45:10

Currently finishing at 37w hacked...

Fairypants Fri 11-Jul-14 13:19:23

I'm finishing at 37 weeks and am using my holidays to work shorter weeks. I have 2 weeks to take though so have started taking a day a week this week (30 weeks) and will increase that so I'm down to working 3days a week when I get closer. I do have SPD though so already finding walking can be an issue.

moggle Fri 11-Jul-14 15:40:51

Ooh that's a good idea, I hadn't even thought of spreading the days out a bit... I have about 10 days to use up before mat leave starts so maybe instead of having 2 extra weeks, I'll use 5 for an extra week and then 5 to have short weeks beforehand. Think I'm going to go off at 36 weeks, can't wait!

splendide Fri 11-Jul-14 16:12:41

I'm starting mat leave on my due date (or before if I'm early of course!) and 3 weeks of leave prior to that I think. Although I might end up doing a few days work from home in that three weeks if need be.

ClaretAndBlue30 Fri 11-Jul-14 16:21:15

I'm finishing at 37 weeks with a few shorter weeks from 31 weeks onwards - don't think there's any right answer with this though, and it's hard to tell how you'll feel!

didiimaginethis Fri 11-Jul-14 16:39:09

I'm finishing at 30 weeks, but am teacher so it's the holidays then officially my mat leave starts in September when I'll be 36 weeks.
Last time I went on mat leave at 32 weeks and I was very ready for it by then, spent my time resting, cooking,cleaning etc
This time around I have toddler DS so not much time fir resting!
Do what you feel is right, especially with feeling tired

FTRsGotAShinyNewNN Fri 11-Jul-14 20:24:01

I'll be starting Mat leave at 35 wks which will be on the 22nd Dec, it's a little earlier than I wanted to finish but I didn't think I could face working Christmas (hospital reception) smile

Missingcaffeine Fri 11-Jul-14 21:06:28

I'm starting mat leave as late as HR would allow (12th Sep, due on 20th). Finishing work at start of Sep (37 weeks) - using 2 weeks annual leave. I had loads of annual leave, so I'm working 4 day weeks in Aug and late July.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Fri 11-Jul-14 21:10:13

How come they wont let you work longer?

OneLittleToddleTerror Fri 11-Jul-14 22:32:31

I'm starting at 37 weeks but since I have over 20 days of annual leave left, I'm effective off from 33 weeks. DD arrived at 37 weeks last time so I don't want to cut it too close. Besides I'm already tired and I'm only 30 weeks!

Heatherbell1978 Sat 12-Jul-14 22:32:33

I'd take the week off and finish earlier. I've just finished work at 35 wks. I have had an easy pregnancy so far, walked to and from work every day and no issues sitting in an office all day etc so had been thinking I probably should gave worked on a bit longer. But just this weekend I've hit a bit of a wall and seem to developed a bit of carpal tunnel so I'm so glad that's me done at work!

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Sun 13-Jul-14 09:11:25

Last time and will do same this time I start mat leave the beginning of wk I am booked for c section so 38+whatever n then use up annual leave for 3-4wks before hand so finish at 35wks ish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now