Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

London Mums: Comments on Fetal Medicine Ctre vs. UDS?

(9 Posts)
MrsAmelia Thu 10-Jul-14 21:29:52

I was wondering what experiences you Ladies might have had with either centre. I went to Fetal Medicine Ctre for my previous pregnancy (unfortunately it ended in MMC) and had a positive experience with the Consultant I met with during a few appointments.

As I am approaching my 7th week of a new pregnancy (holding my breath) I am scheduled for my first scan at FMC next Monday. I'm second guessing whether or not I should go to FMC because it does not offer NIFTY, only Harmony. I'm reading up on the differences between the two and wondering which might be better, thus my query about your experiences at either centre. UDS offers all tests (Harmony, NIFTY, CVS, etc), while FMC does not offer UDS. I'd rather get all of my testing and scans done through one ctre rather than switching between two.

Any comments and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Wishing you all healthy and successful pregnancies...

Thank you ... thanks

Zillwood Fri 11-Jul-14 00:45:15

I have never been to foetal medicine centre and never had Harmony testing, but I have used UDS for every ultrasound and I have found them amazing! They are always very professional and caring and they treat every pregnancy, however early, very clinically.

I had a MMC almost a year ago and I went to the babyscan clinic, also on Harley Street and they were absolutely awful. For a start, most of the sonographers I saw could not speak English. This is very hard when you're dealing with the question of whether you have had an MMC or not. The miscommunication went on so long that I believed for a long time that I was still pregnant when I wasn't.

Anyway - this is not about me or Babyscan, but just to say that UDS got rid of all those fears. I feel that if I had, had a suspected MMC with them, they would not have let me leave without giving me as much information as they could, and following up with me afterwards.

mssleepyhead Fri 11-Jul-14 07:38:01

I've been to the FMC twice in this pregnancy and both times I've found them absolutely brilliant. I don't know much about NIFTY v harmony but I would certainly go back to the FMC for any extra treatment I needed.

squizita Fri 11-Jul-14 08:20:21

Worth noting that sadly even with full English, it's hard/inadvisable to confirm a MMC until after 2 scans 5 days to a week apart. Lack of English would have made it much worse.

There were issues with 2 of my 3 pg's and I went to FMC-they were amazing, I saw Prof Nicolaides 3 or 4 times and he is incredible, I don't think you could be in better hands in the world. Like a pp I couldn't comment on the different tests offered but my experience of FMC was excellent.

ThisOneAndThatOne Fri 11-Jul-14 08:35:45

Nicolaides has no bedside manner and said the most awful things to me.

But I still think the FMC was great. It's a charity with all surplus cash going to research.

TeamEponine Sun 13-Jul-14 06:11:06

I went to the FMC for two scans and the Harmony test, and they were excellent. Certainly the clearest, most thorough and well explained scans I've had (also NHS and private at Babybond).

I've no experience of UDS, so I can't really say which is better, but I was very happy with the FMC, would go there again and would recommend them to a friend.

Good luck!

MinutesOfMeetings Sun 13-Jul-14 06:56:24

FNC has a world renowned reputation. Nikolaides invented the nuchal scan and was instrumental in developing Harmony. The centre has contributed so much to the scientific literature in fetal medicine. I've had all my scans for all my children there, and I had Harmony there. They dealt brilliantly with reassuring me after a risk factor of 1:10 after my NHS scan. I rate them very highly but I can't comment on UDS.

lucidlady Sun 13-Jul-14 07:10:58

I've been to FMC for 3 pregnancies, one of which ended in MMC. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending the Harmony test - I had the test in my current pregnancy. I've not heard of UDS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now