Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Any midwives able to answer my question?

(7 Posts)
ThinkIveBeenHacked Thu 10-Jul-14 21:00:44

Last pregnancy I was tested twice for Group B Strep. Given intravenous ABs four hourly. Refused a waterbirth.

I was told by my MW this time round that I could have a waterbirth, but that I would be tested for GBS nearer to my due date and given a course of ABs of positive.

I had a bleed on Monday (24w 2d) and had an internal and a swab. Results today - GBS+

Apparently this infection can come and go, yet ive been tested three times and always been positive.

My question - will the GBS prevent me from having a waterbirth? - was it right that I was refused one last time? - Can I insist on one? (Gbs only, I dont mean insist if I need a csec or something!)

ThinkIveBeenHacked Thu 10-Jul-14 21:26:16

Bump

SociallyAcceptableCookie Thu 10-Jul-14 21:36:34

I'm not a midwife but my friend recently gave birth and was not allowed to choose a water birth in the birthing centre because of GBS. She had to use the delivery suite instead. So at least in our area that's true.

Waggamamma Fri 11-Jul-14 07:20:09

I'm also gbs+ which was found at 28wks by my gp.

It depends on your nhs trust what their rules are about water birth, many say no because of the cannula in your hand and others say it's ok as long as you keep it dry (hand out water).

When I told my midwife I had gbs, she was very dissmissive and didn't even write it in my notes. Is this usual? I've since wrote it on myself.

SilverLinings2014 Fri 11-Jul-14 09:37:50

I asked the hospital midwife this very question before my consultant app yesterday (community midwife was also dismissive).

Hospital midwife was great. Explained that it doesn't come and go as such...if you test positive for GBS you have it and will always have it...but sometimes it can be active and sometimes dormant. Known carriers are given precautionary ABs during delivery to protect baby who has no immunity against what could be a serious infection. She also put a big, yellow 'ALERT' sticker on the front of my notes to notify at time of birth.

I didn't ask re water birth as I have other complications so can't have one anyway but believe it does very much depend on your area as pp said.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Fri 11-Jul-14 11:08:51

Tha ks everyone.

I really really want a water birth so will need to get a definite answer at my 28wk appt so I can prepare if the answer is no.

Waggamamma Fri 11-Jul-14 13:42:19

My midwife did say there are lots of reasons you may not be able to use the birthing pool, not related to gbs.

For example with ds1 I needed constant monitoring as his heart rate kept dipping, I couldn't have used the pool for this reason.

Or the pools may be busy when you are in labour.

Or you may be induced woth pessary or drip meaning you can't get in the pool.

You just need to be flexible and take things as they come.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now