Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Pregnacare & morning sickness

(14 Posts)
Becca1818 Thu 10-Jul-14 16:00:34

Has anyone else noticed a link between taking pregnacare original? It may be my imagination but when I am taking the tablets the next day I felt horrendously sick. If I didn't take one one day I felt fine the following day? Is it just me or has anyone else found this? Maybe I need new folic acid tablets?

PeppermintInfusion Thu 10-Jul-14 16:14:54

I think a lot of people certainly feel a but nauseous from them. I do and think it's due to the iron content as had this with some other multi vits in the past.

My GP prescribed them for me so I'm only taking them because they are free and I'm used to the slight queasiness of it now.

beebop100 Thu 10-Jul-14 16:33:39

Definitely, sorry about the TMI but I took them with my first pregnancy and had terrible constant diarrhoea and stomach pain. Taking Sanatogen mum to be with this pregnancy and no problems, ran out one day and took a pregnanacare left over from last year and I've never felt so sick in my life, I'm 100% sure it was the Pregnacare.

I took Pregnacare pre-conception and they were fine, so started on the pregnancy tablets once I got pg and had to stop taking them.....didn't feel great, got constipated/bloated and within two days of stopping them was fine. Not exactly scientific given all the hormonal changes at the time but I felt way better when I stopped them

Got Seven Seas pregnancy/folic acid tablets instead and they were great, just moved on to regular Boots Vit D and Calcium after 14 weeks -think multi-vitamins are a joke, eating lots of fruit and veggies instead grin)

Holland & Barrett do an iron vitamin drink called Floradix which is really good if your feeling a bit run down & tired, all plant based and safe to drink...a good booster!

JennyBlueWren Thu 10-Jul-14 17:10:06

I've been taking it and only feeling nauseous occasionally not actually being sick. Might try a different brand though and see if it improves.

weebairn Thu 10-Jul-14 17:11:17

I only ever took basic folic acid (and vitamin D when I remember). I think pregnacare and the rest are a bit of an expensive marketing thing...

Becca1818 Thu 10-Jul-14 17:30:32

Thanks for all of the responses! I'm glad it's potentially not just me then! I take them on and off but the day after feel so ill. I might go to the pharmacy and see if they can recommend something else as obviously I don't want to not take anything at all.

lentilpot Thu 10-Jul-14 17:33:07

I took the sanatogen mum to be ones, I liked that the oily omega capsule was separate so didn't take that one on days I felt rough!

JennyBlueWren Thu 10-Jul-14 18:55:26

I was taking iron and vit C before pregnancy so once I needed folic acid I thought I might as well get an all in one. Now though I've been prescribed extra folic (due to high bmi) and extra iron due to my severe aneamia.

MrsGiraffe12 Thu 10-Jul-14 19:05:03

I feel sick if I take them in the morning but now I take them with a cuppa and some biscuits in the evenjng and no issues xx

JellyStrawberries Thu 10-Jul-14 19:05:53

Pregnacare made me terribly sick due to the iron content. All you need are the Healthy Start vitamins from the midwife unless advised otherwise - they had no bad effect on me at all, were easy to swallow and free! Just looking at the Pregnacare logo makes me feel queasy to this day and it's four years since I took one!

Mildpanic Thu 10-Jul-14 19:12:23

Pregnacare made me horribly constipated and accompanying nausea.
I swapped to just Vit D and then took Sytron in fresh orange once my HB dropped later on in pregnancy.

liesal79 Fri 11-Jul-14 09:26:11

I found this also, As I was taking pregnacare with my evening meal. I have started taking it with lunch and fingers crossed, feel a lot better in the mornings. I hope this has fixed it! smile

soundsystem Fri 11-Jul-14 09:35:31

Sorry to hear yuo're feeling poorly sad My midwife mentioned folic afolic acid increases nausea so could be that I certainly felt better when I stopped taking it at 12 weeks (from throwing up 10+ times a day to twice a week!) but that could just have been coincidence as most people have said the nausea passes then anyway...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now