Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is it possible, please advise

(17 Posts)
Sp1rals Wed 09-Jul-14 21:26:41

Ok. Ok. Ok. Ok.
I posted yesterday as I was getting positive OPK tests day before period after having sex on day 8 and day 23.
Assumed wasn't pregnant as cycle regular 29 days. Just cracked and dug out a pregnancy test from way back. It's a clear blue digital. It's reading pregnant 1-2 weeks. However the expiry date is 2011. I can't reach a pharmacy for the next couple of days. How likely is it that this is a false negative? I always thought the expiry dates were a bit of a scam (within reason).
Day 8? Wtf seriously?

TestingTestingWonTooFree Wed 09-Jul-14 23:05:09

It'd be a false positive if anything surely? I tested with an out of date test, had a positive, later confirmed on an in date test. My googling at the time suggested that false positives were very unlikely. Fingers crossed for you.

Sp1rals Wed 09-Jul-14 23:14:54

Sorry yes meant false positive! Thanks Testing. They are rare though aren't they? Was thinking with a digital test if was out if date it probably just wouldn't work rather than showing a false result? Just wondering if anybody else has experience of out of date test?
Also completely baffled at getting pregnant on day 8 if that is the case.

SweetsForMySweet Wed 09-Jul-14 23:26:28

I have heard of people using opk test as a cheapie version of a pregnancy test when ttc as it picks up on the same hormones for both ovulation and early pregnancy. I doubt you would get a false positive as the test uses a specific hormone level to detect if you are pregnant or not and the amount to detect approx how many weeks. It is possible that you ovulated earlier or later in your cycle so you could be pregnant. Fingers crossed for you. Are you near a supermarket, most grocery shops sell test if you can't get to a chemist. What day are you on your cycle and when is your period due?

Sp1rals Wed 09-Jul-14 23:41:21

Thanks sweets. My period was due yesterday. I have been getting positive OPK for almost 3 days. I have a fairly regular 29 day cycle. The out of date clear blue this evening says pregnant 1-2 weeks but baffled, as I mentioned had sex on day 8 then not til day 23 think it was. Usually ovulate bang on mid cycle though wasn't keeping track. Can usually tell as get ovulation pains.

GingerRodgers Thu 10-Jul-14 07:36:01

You can ovulate at any point through your cycle and it can change every month too so not as odd as it sounds. It could have just been a 'blip' that month?

notoasthere Thu 10-Jul-14 08:31:32

Sperm lives for 5 days so you could have ovulated day 12 and still have had live swimmers going about! Best to test with a frer

NewJobNewLife Thu 10-Jul-14 08:41:09

As pp said, sperm can live for 5+ days, so day 8 is certainly possible.

If you want to play guessing games, I have heard that male sperm swim faster but die young, while female sperm swim more slowly but live longer - if you had sex on day 8 but then didn't ovulate until day 12 - 14 then you'd have a higher chance of a girl!

Sp1rals Thu 10-Jul-14 09:14:37

I have a brand spanking new pregnancy test winging its way to me this evening. Still no sign of period. Still miffed by the whole dates thing. Devious girl sperm hanging around waiting to pounce on innocent egg.

donkir Thu 10-Jul-14 09:56:37

Reading previous threads about clear blue digital the number of weeks it says can be very unreliable mine said 1 to 2 weeks when I was nearly 4 it just wasn't picking up the hormones enough.

Sp1rals Thu 10-Jul-14 19:31:08

Question answered. Positive pregnancy test.

FourAndDone Thu 10-Jul-14 19:36:48

Congratulations!!smile

Muddledandunsure Thu 10-Jul-14 19:38:34

I had sex the last day of my period, ovulated early about a week later and now I'm pregnant.

Congratulations.

notoasthere Thu 10-Jul-14 19:38:46

Aaah fab! Congratulations! Join us over in the March group smile

Sp1rals Thu 10-Jul-14 19:48:40

Oh wow. I'm in a March group shock

SweetsForMySweet Fri 11-Jul-14 01:38:25

Congratulations! Hope to be joining you soon on the m2b board fc

TestingTestingWonTooFree Fri 11-Jul-14 07:01:06

Congratulations!

I had positive opk, then bleeding. With hindsight, I was pregnant when the opk was positive and the bleeding was implantation, not a period. Found this out at a scan when I was 4 weeks more pregnant than expected.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now