Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Not BF, what can I do..

(8 Posts)
Hobby2014 Tue 08-Jul-14 16:22:20

To reduce the pain of milk coming in?
I've not had the baby yet, but understand my milk will come in and keep building in pressure and that this can be painful.
Is there anything I can buy ahead of time for when the milk starts coming in to try to make it hurt less?
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks smile

I was told to wear a tightish bra, and not to take it off till the pain stopped. I dont think theres anything else you can do. I had pain for a couple of days couldnt sleep on front or side, but I do have massive boobs, even when not pg.

I assume your not going to breastfeed? Coz thats a good way to stop the pain, but milk let down can be painful too but also handy as it tells you to feed your baby.

rubyslippers Tue 08-Jul-14 16:37:38

You can take painkillers

Also Savoy cabbage leaves in your bra will help with engorgement

Lozmatoz Tue 08-Jul-14 16:41:21

You'll just have to drain it off. A couple of warm flannels or gently running the backs of fingers/finger nails from the base of your boobs to your nipples can help stimulate the milk to come out. Be warned, stand over a sink or do it in the bath or shower. However, be careful not to drain too much; our bodies are very clever and will assume the baby is using the milk and continue to produce more. Just do enough to relieve the pressure. In my experience it was particularly painful, just uncomfortable. Dont wear too tight a bra either... Your midwife/hospital will be able to help you. And remember not everyone's milk actually comes in anyway.

To be completely inappropriate and I know you're not asking for opinions and i dont know your circumstances.... but BF was the brilliant thing I've done so I would suggest giving it a go before you decide it's not for you. Sorry, good luck!

Lozmatoz Tue 08-Jul-14 16:42:13

Sorry, wasn't painful!

RoseberryTopping Tue 08-Jul-14 17:21:14

I'm going through it with DC2 now and the only thing that helps is getting baby to drain it off. Either that or a few pumps from my breast pump or a bit of hand expressing. Like Loz says though don't express too much or you'll keep making too much.

I would assume you shouldn't do anyth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now