Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Babymoon- london area?

(17 Posts)
Martie1 Tue 08-Jul-14 12:32:12

DH and I are headed to a wedding in Brentwood, Essex in mid september. I would like to take a few days before it and enjoy a mini holiday as we're not really going to get a holiday this year at all.

I will be around 27 weeks pg. Has anyone got any good suggestions? I am torn between going somewhere outside london to enjoy some rest and relaxation or alternatively enjoying some city lifestyle in london. Suggestions either way would be really appreciated. I keep thinking that I would like to hit some nice markets, walks etc but also to go to some shops to buy things I can't get at home. Obvs if if was relaxation we would spend money on the accommodation, but if we are going to spend a lot of time out and about, then the accommodation would just have to be comfortable.

We've been to the west end before so while i would like to take in a show, its not a must. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

ShovettyMcShovetty Tue 08-Jul-14 12:43:54
Mylovelylovelyhorse Tue 08-Jul-14 12:59:55

Isn't a babymoon when you stay in bed crying and leaking bonding and nurturing for a few weeks after giving birth?

Martie1 Tue 08-Jul-14 13:02:00

mylovelylovelyhorse nice name. you could be right. i am far from an expert on any of this business. maybe should've looked that one up before naming the thread.

NickNacks Tue 08-Jul-14 13:13:01

It's a nauseating word whatever it's used to describe. Have fun on your holiday.

Martie1 Tue 08-Jul-14 13:34:33

nicknacks 'nauseating'- how apt a word considering it's a holiday during pregnancy. I suspect you weren't trying to be ironic though.

Back to the main theme of the thread. shovettymcshovetty thanks for the suggestion. I suspect that would be my dh's nightmare since I work in the legal world and we're supposed to be getting away from it. Nice hotel though. smile

winnertakesitall Tue 08-Jul-14 13:42:55

Recently I've been checking out a lot of glamping websites- canopy and stars being one of them, and there are some pretty shepherds huts in kent and Sussex (maybe also Essex but I wasn't looking there)- which may be dreamy and romantic. Less shops though!

Alternatively how about somewhere like nutfield priory in Surrey, and you're then only 45 mins into Central London for shopping- and can maybe throw in some pampering at the priory itself?

Well if you're coming from a long way away/north, how about Henley? Hotel du Vin, nice pubs, river walks etc. Or Windsor.

But if I were you I would stay in London and do stuff you won't do when baby arrives - theatre, cinema, meals out.
The Zetter, the Boundary, and Shoreditch Rooms/Shoreditch House are all east side of London so good for markets/pottery and travel out to Essex.

Plateofcrumbs Tue 08-Jul-14 13:46:38

I think babymoon gets used for both pre-baby holidays and also post baby bonding period, depends on context!

I think 27 weeks was about the tipping point when my bouncy energetic 2nd tri phase started to give way to tired achy 3rd tri. Up until then I would have been more up for city sights etc - after that, the idea of a nice chilled out spa would have been top of my mind.

So perhaps leave it closer to the time and see how you're feeling? You might be able to take advantage of last-minute deals on hotels etc in London near the time too.

Martie1 Tue 08-Jul-14 13:52:52

ooh i love the idea of shoreditch, going to check that out now. And henley and windsor. All sound lovely.

plateofcrumbs I have to say I do worry about how I will actually feel at 27 weeks. So unknown when it's dc1. Unfortunately we can't really leave it closer to the time as we're flying into london so I need to book flights. I suppose I could wing it, and leave it to closer to the time but I would like it to be stress free and again I fear at 27 weeks I could be heading into stress central.

I meant pottering. Not pottery! confused

Can recommend Zetter, not stayed at the others although friends have recommended the Boundary (also in Shoreditch). I've stayed at the Hoxton quite a lot too, which I really like, but it's a bit marmite!

ClaretAndBlue30 Tue 08-Jul-14 17:42:04

If you can book flights/hotel now and then decide what exactly you do whilst you're there nearer the time I think that'd be ideal - I'm 27 weeks now and have days where I'm good for nothing, so lounging in a spa, on a river cruise down the Thames etc would be perfect, or days when I can manage quite a lot - trawling through borough market, or a trip on the London eye for example!

London has something for every mood and every whim. Enjoy grin

mrsgembles Tue 08-Jul-14 17:47:32

I live in London and as much as I advocate visiting our fair city be aware that if it's anywhere above 25C you will MELT, public transport will be really challenging and the buildings here retain the heat and breathe it out all night! It's GRIM!

mrsgembles Tue 08-Jul-14 17:48:40

Just seen you'll be here in mid Sept, so ignore me, you'll have an awesome time in LDN!

mssleepyhead Tue 08-Jul-14 18:02:14

I think 27 weeks would be ok - and London has lots of nice places to sit and rest and enjoy things : ) Second votes here for the Zetter in particular and the Hoxton. Or come out to greenwich and stay somewhere like the Ibis. Slower pace, and you can get trains to Central London in 15 minutes which are nicer and cooler than the tube, or even the boat. (Disclaimer - I love greenwich : )

ElleDubloo Tue 08-Jul-14 19:31:00

How close to London? I live in London and I wouldn't advise it as a babymoon destination at all! Too much noise and traffic.

We went for a babymoon at 24 weeks to Eastbourne, a seaside town less than 2 hours from London. Stayed 2 nights in a traditional inn with amazing food and enjoyed beautiful peaceful walks along the seafront and Beachy Head.

TortoiseUpATreeAgain Tue 08-Jul-14 19:36:16

What sort of budget do you have to play with?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now