Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Flying in late pregnancy....

(15 Posts)
supermum83 Tue 08-Jul-14 10:02:21

I am looking for any recent experiences with regards to flying whilst 30+ weeks. I am due to fly in two weeks and I will be 36 weeks exactly (only going one way) but airline policy is up until 35+6 only - and I need a doctor's note. It was a mess up on my part, I booked through BA whose policy is up to 36+6 but turns out my flight is operated by someone else!!! I am weighing up several options as how to play it....so if anyone has any words of wisdom then I would be happy to hear them!

JustGotMyBabyOnBoardBadge Tue 08-Jul-14 11:02:58

I would go straight to BA whom you booked it with - generally if you book thru one airline their 'conditions' follow you on the booking (such as luggage allowance etc.) and double check that this is the case, if not you have the best case to get a refund or rebook a little earlier without any added costs.

Even with the ability to fly then you will absolutely need a letter from the doctor as no airline will take the risk without one. You will be turned away (I worked in Heathrow and Dubai airport for years)

supermum83 Tue 08-Jul-14 11:28:19

Thanks - I did go to BA and they said it's the other airline's policy that counts. One day! I am over by one day! I am seeing my GP next week, I hope she will be "understanding". I find the whole thing perplexing because I've not declared anywhere that I am preg. So who makes the call as to when to ask for the note and on what premise, size of bump??

fattycow Tue 08-Jul-14 11:33:04

Well, if you show up with an obvious bump, they will surely ask at the gate.
The airlines aren't being difficult just to annoy pregnant ladies. There are some risks when flying late in a pregnancy, hence them being reluctant and needing a doctor's note.
I hope you get to go, but there is a possibility that your gp will say no, even if you were within the limit of the airline.

JustGotMyBabyOnBoardBadge Tue 08-Jul-14 13:39:53

Sometimes they just don't ask if you look within the limits however I wouldn't count on that!!

I know it's rubbish that they don't tell you about the dates etc but they are literally trying to have less 'click the box' online to question people about...as a lot of other questions would have to asked too which would be a pain.

If your doctor is good she will give you the right dates for the flight (as long as it is not too long-haul) otherwise I would kick up a stink with BA and get the flights changes at their expense, twitter, facebook whatever you have to use as you could not have known the terms of the other airline you are flying with until after the booking was made (I hope!!)

If you don't mind me asking which airline will you be flying with now?

supermum83 Tue 08-Jul-14 14:06:22

Finnair who require that you send the form in in advance. I have a lovely midwife here who would help and she even said she would - however for Finnair it's GP only. BA policy is GP/midwife's letter but no need to send to anyone as long as you have it. The flight is only approx 2.5 hours. My GP knows that I am relocating to move back home so she might show me mercy. Or I might have midwife fill in a form too and try it first.

I guess if worse comes to worst there is always photoshop shock

supermum83 Fri 11-Jul-14 17:54:21

Bumping this in case anyone else has any advice...

HamAndPlaques Fri 11-Jul-14 22:47:04

Do you have travel insurance? Would you be covered if you cancelled? You might have to rebook with a carrier who will take you.

NickNacks Fri 11-Jul-14 22:51:03

I can't imagine a GP would want to put their reputation in jeopardy for this. If something (god forbid) terrible did happen to you or your child, your medical records could be accessed where it would be obvious your doc had misinformed the airline.

twohearts Sat 12-Jul-14 00:21:43

I flew at 32 weeks (granted, on an airline that has no restrictions), but I was nervous about facing any potential issues so asked my midwife for a 'fitness to fly' letter. Got the letter the Friday before, flew on the Saturday. Couldn't have been easier. Just speak to your midwife.

supermum83 Sat 12-Jul-14 07:02:37

They won't accept a note from midwife, it has to be doctor. But midwife did suggest that I ask her if we can use my due date based on LMP over that from scan. That would buy me three days which would allow me to fly.

MrsBungle Sat 12-Jul-14 07:08:02

I got my doctors note the week before I flew so doctors note said I was 34 weeks preg (which I was at the time) but I was 35 when I flew. The note didn't have my due date on, it just said I was healthy etc etc. gp checked my blood pressure, urine etc before writing the very short for £20 letter.

IAteSomeofthePies Tue 15-Jul-14 12:09:19

I flew just this past weekend on SAS at (a very obviously quite pregnant) 33 weeks. Their policy is you don't need a note until 36 weeks, but I was still anxious and brought my notes and MATB1, just in case. In three flights, not one person even mentioned it. I hope people are as incurious for you!

alliemarg Tue 15-Jul-14 14:47:16

I just flew back at 30+2 and nobody asked to see my note (even though it was airline policy to have one past 28 weeks). Insurance is tricky though - I only found a couple of companies who'd insure me for natural premature birth (and then only up to 32 weeks). I agree with the poster who suggested getting the dates changed - you can invalidate all your insurance if you travel against doctors advice.

supermum83 Thu 17-Jul-14 21:46:35

I did manage to get my letter which the airline accepted (and made a note against my booking about it apparently).....I don't feel too bad since I am only a day over the limit and EDDs aren't really an exact science are they!! Just told to wear those sexy surgery socks, move about and drink plenty of water.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now