Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Maternity shorts - has anyone found any good ones?

(22 Posts)
CorporeSarnie Fri 27-Jun-14 13:29:48

Hi all,
Am sweltering more than I'd like in recent days and want to get some shorts. However my criteria are quite restrictive: not too short, i.e. nothing that Katie Price would be seen wearing (my legs are nothing to write home about, particularly with fat pregnancy cankles), preferably cotton vs. heavy jersey, denim is a maybe. Ideally around £20 is my max price I would pay (I hate spending huge amounts of ££ on mat wear that I will get only a few months out of, and shorts seem to fall at the worst end of this - I saw a pair for £40!!!).
I've looked on ASOS, TopShop, Gap and NewLook online, and they mostly seem very short to me.
Has anyone succeeded in finding nice, affordable yet decent shorts for a mostly-British summer?
Thanks in advance for suggestions.

RedPony Fri 27-Jun-14 13:35:32

Probably not much help but I got a few pairs of maternity jeans off eBay and one pair was really comfy but were serious ankle swingers so I cut them and made them into shorts. They were next bootleg cut jeans and I only paid about £3 for them so wasn't too fussed about cutting them up

RedPony Fri 27-Jun-14 13:36:08

H&M also do maternity shorts quite cheap

Mintberrycrunch Fri 27-Jun-14 13:37:48

I've done the same to some maternity jeans that I had saved from first pregnancy, took them up to length I want.

icklekid Fri 27-Jun-14 14:09:31

Next denim very comfy- £26 www.next.co.uk/g39198s3#674376g39

lentilpot Fri 27-Jun-14 15:17:41

I got some blooming marvellous ones from mothercare for £18 and they are low with just a bit of elastic so think I will be able to wear them after birth too.

nc060 Fri 27-Jun-14 15:19:21

I have the next denim under bump ones, love them

mrsnlw Fri 27-Jun-14 15:28:31

Not particularly maternity ones but I got a pair from Primark that have an elasticated waist that sits pleasantly (for me and baby!) below my bump. Cost £4

CorporeSarnie Fri 27-Jun-14 18:42:04

Thanks mrs, Primark a good idea. If I get a chance will look in the nearest one.

GingerRodgers Fri 27-Jun-14 19:42:35

H&m ones are gorgeous! Really comfy and come in denim, navy, stone and salmon. About £15 but the sizing comes up very small I hope

SuzanneSays Fri 27-Jun-14 19:45:53

I have some lovely H&M cotton shorts- come in creamy beige, navy, and another colour I can't remember. I wear them for long walks in the countryside. I don't like the H&M denim ones though- too tight and heavy.

Casmama Fri 27-Jun-14 19:53:37

H & M seem to be the only shop that don't work on the basis of per maternity sizing. See here for which size to choose in maternity wear.

Casmama Fri 27-Jun-14 19:54:14

Should say pre-pregnancy size

GingerRodgers Fri 27-Jun-14 19:58:16

So I'm not just a fat fuck?! Thank god! grin

Miriama Fri 27-Jun-14 20:00:13
Casmama Fri 27-Jun-14 20:05:10

grin

mrsgembles Fri 27-Jun-14 20:10:35

H&M are fab, my fav place to buy maternity stuff. Their vest dresses are SO COMFY.

Mind you I'm tempted by those Next shorts...

LokiTheCynicalCat Fri 27-Jun-14 20:33:58

I got a denim pair in Jojo maman and a stone pair there too. The stone pair weren't the most flattering with my colouring but the denim ones were a nice shape.

Heatherbell1978 Fri 27-Jun-14 21:21:21

Good to know about H&M!! I'm usually a 10 and at 33 wks still getting into mat size 10 but tried those shorts in H&M the other day and erm, I wasn't getting into the 10!

rightsaidfred Fri 27-Jun-14 22:43:24

All the maternity ones I 've seen have been too short on me. I bought these in Tesco this week - they have an elasticated waist and fit under the bump in my normal size at 28 weeks. They are much longer than in the pic- almost to my knee and I am 5 ft 10
www.clothingattesco.com/shorts/f+f-floral-print-flippy-shorts/invt/bc413601&bklist=icat,4,shop,catgwomens,womens-shorts

SweetPeaPods Sat 28-Jun-14 16:51:09

I love my navy ones from jojo maman bebe. They might be over your budget though but highly recommend

CloverHeart Sun 29-Jun-14 09:27:52

Peacocks

These are a godsend for me. They are loose and long enough to be comfortable and cover my bum with the added bonus of a fully elasticated back!!!!

They aren't maternity per se, but grab them in a size or 2 bigger and you can't go wrong grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now