Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Do I need to buy waterproof sheets for my crib?

(17 Posts)
Heatherbell1978 Tue 24-Jun-14 20:03:15

Hi, 32 wks here and busy getting through my baby shopping list:-) I'm sure I read somewhere that waterproof sheets aren't really needed for newborns as that's what their nappy is for but my mum made a valid point about vomit.....do you need them incase the baby vomits? I bought a waterproof mattress protector for my cot as it was a good deal on Amazon but haven't for my bedside crib or pram/carrycot and not sure if I need to?

Sparkle9 Tue 24-Jun-14 20:04:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WetDogLovesHubert Tue 24-Jun-14 20:08:53

My dd never needed waterproof bedding. If she threw up (rarely) the sheet did the work, and the mattress was virtually untouched.

snickers251 Tue 24-Jun-14 20:30:29

Ds puked regularly (wish I got the waterproof sheets)

Dd has puked once in 15 months (wish I hadn't bothered buying waterproof sheets)

Sorry that's not very helpful is it grin

SomeSunnySunday Tue 24-Jun-14 20:34:50

I really couldn't have coped with out them. Nappies can leak, and both of mine were quite sicky. Waterproof sheets were invaluable.

ShergarAndSpies Tue 24-Jun-14 20:40:48

The advantage of a waterproof sheet under a proper cotton one is that if you have a major nappy explosion / vomit when they are in bed, the clean up is much quicker and easier than trying to deal with a wet / dirty mattress too. Just whip dirty sheet off, wipe waterproof sheet if necessary and whack on clean sheet. Then put baby back to bed.

Hippychick do nice ones with a cotton breathable cover so they aren't sweaty and rustley.

Oh and while you're thinking of it, buy one for your bed too! Perfect in case your waters go in bed (as they'll ruin your mattress forever otherwise) and also v useful for post natal night sweats / bleeding / leaking breasts / baby sick / poo.

Cobo Tue 24-Jun-14 21:22:30

I never needed one for the cot - two layers of breathable blanket underneath the top sheet meant nothing ever got as far as the mattress. But as Shergar says, I'm planning on getting one for our bed this time round. Leaky boobs ruined our mattress!

We don't have them and haven't had one leak or vomit in 21 months with two babies.

Katrina33 Tue 24-Jun-14 21:49:05

I had them and found them really useful smile

Purpleroxy Tue 24-Jun-14 21:51:18

Well you can never tell. Nappies can overflow quite suddenly! My ds nappy was always fine overnight until one morning there had been a poo explosion. I didn't have a waterproof sheet so had to take the mattress cover off and get the poo out of it! One of mine puked a lot, the other don't.

mrsnlw Wed 25-Jun-14 09:26:22

(Bare with me on this one.....) I was worried about my waters breaking whilst in bed with our expensive mattress and my Mum said she would keep an eye out for what she could find (plastic bed cover etc) and got me some pad type things that are meant for toddlers beds etc. They were from one of the poundshops and came with 3 in a pack. They look like the cloth/pad thing that you see people sitting on in maternity wards. Pretty decent size too as our cot is 120x60 and it covers most of the mattress. I have popped one under my bedsheet, one in the moses with the bedsheet over and the same in the cot.

ChunkyPickle Wed 25-Jun-14 09:30:46

I just lay a towel under them and changed it if they threw up/there was a poopocolypse

Sparkle9 Wed 25-Jun-14 19:46:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

frankiebuns Wed 25-Jun-14 22:23:46

My mum has bought me a expensove matress for ds then used towels on bottom half of matress

Smartiepants79 Wed 25-Jun-14 22:26:24

I didn't have them for the Moses basket but looking back I can't for the life of me think why not!
I had to clean the mattress on several occasions and my babies were not very sicky.

Solasum Wed 25-Jun-14 22:44:43

Once your baby is in a sleeping bag, from a poo point of view it would need to be enormous to get through nappy sleep suit sleeping bag and sheet.

2 large muslins over the top of the mattress head are breathable and useful. If baby spits up you can just remove the top one.

londongirl2 Thu 26-Jun-14 02:26:09

I used a draw sheet for my pukey boy. Worked perfectly and much easier to change in the dark without waking him than a full sheet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now