Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Sterilisation after CS?

(6 Posts)
tigger8 Tue 24-Jun-14 19:25:34

I know that I am in my early forties and an older mum (although not by choice with fifteen yrs of infertility behind me) but I was quite taken aback when my consultant booked me in for the CS and, in quite a terse manner, asked me if I wanted to be sterilised straight after the CS. Still quite shocked and upset by this and should, perhaps, 'man-up' as this was an objective matter to her, but to me, after all those years of struggling..... Just needed to air this really....

WhoMovedMyVuvuzela Tue 24-Jun-14 20:17:22

Not great bedside manner on her part really...I do know women (as I expect do a lot of people) who have happily taken the option of sterilisation at the same time as a C section, the idea has come from them though and taken some thought before hand.

Personally I prefer dealing with MW's as they tend to be a bit kinder about these things. I assume you gave her a rather terse no.

Congratulations on your pg by the way!

Foxeym Tue 24-Jun-14 21:43:09

I was offered this as well before having DC3 8 months ago. I think it's just a standard thing to offer women, especially those deemed 'older' mothers (I'm 42). I did consider it but them declined, I honestly wouldn't take offence by it

gunwalloe Tue 24-Jun-14 21:46:04

How many children do you have op?
My consultant said the same thing to me I'm 35 and having dc5 I'm wondering what there criteria is to ask the question.

harrygracejessica Tue 24-Jun-14 21:52:31

I was sterilised when I was 30 while having my 3rd c-section(but 4th and 5th children) it was my idea to do it and they agreed it was the best option as was having my 2nd set of twins and I don't have easy pregnancies.

tigger8 Tue 24-Jun-14 22:55:01

Thank you for your replies. I have one adopted child and one birth child already. I guess, for me, it is an age 'thing'. I am 42 too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now