Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Low thyroid

(7 Posts)
CoolCat2014 Tue 24-Jun-14 09:58:24

Had anyone had low thyroid function come back?

I've been feeling really dizzy, palpitations, tiredness etc, so Dr 1 sent me to get thyroid checked. Midwife advised me it was low and needed looking at and referred me back to GP, especially as I've been feeling depressed as that can be caused by it. I couldn't get to see the same GP, and the one I saw said it wasn't a problem, as normal is 12 and my levels were 10.8 and the other hormone isn't raised.

I'm a bit worried as I'm feeling worse... Can barely get out if bed, and a quick google (dangerous I know) seems quite clear that thyroid issues should be monitored carefully especially in 3rd trimester (I'm 30 wks).

What should I do? Should I get a second opinion?

twiglet2 Tue 24-Jun-14 10:02:14

Can you make an appointment to see the original GP again? If you're feeling worse you're more than justified in going back.

CoolCat2014 Tue 24-Jun-14 10:25:58

I'd like to but he's away until the 18th if July, and it's such a long time to wait! One other GP who I liked is also away and has no appointments till after that sad don't know which of the rest of them to trust, some are very thorough, some quite dismissive, and we are moving house on the 7th so have to go to a new surgery anyway.... Why is this so complicated???

twiglet2 Tue 24-Jun-14 13:37:44

I'd go back and see a different doctor if possible and discuss your concerns. I know what you mean about some doctors being dismissive. It may not be your thyroid, but you want to know that they've fully investigated it. If you are feeling depressed, that's worth talking through with a doctor anyway I would have thought.

camillebbmvalez12345 Tue 24-Jun-14 18:52:23

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

camillebbmvalez12345 Tue 24-Jun-14 18:53:54

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Tue 24-Jun-14 19:22:49

Confused about your results OP. What exactly are the 12 and 10.8?

What's your TSH? It should be lower than 2 in pregnancy. Unless you mean the T4. I'm hypothyroid and I'm afraid I don't understand your results.

If they're concerned about your thyroid you needs closer monitoring and potentially medication.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now