Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Low blood pressure - tips please

(14 Posts)
littlepickly Tue 24-Jun-14 09:05:31

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has experience with low blood pressure and best tips for managing it.

I'm 17+1 and whilst I don't think I have severe low bp I think I'm at the lower end of the scale. Whilst rushing around getting ready this morning I came over really dizzy, hot and faint and had to sit down until it passed which freaked me out a bit so I've taken the day off to rest up.

I think it's probably just a combo of tiredness, rushing around, hot shower etc but I have been a bit puffed out lately and often go dizzy when I stand up too fast.

This is my second pregnancy and I only experienced this very early on last time so I'm hoping this is just a one off and I did read that bp can be at it's lowest around 18 wks so again hopefully this won't hang around but just looking for best advice on what to do to relieve symptoms!

Thanks everyone sorry for the long post smile

BakingBunty Tue 24-Jun-14 09:10:50

I have low blood pressure that is more pronounced in pregnancy. Not mega extreme at all, but generally around 95/55. A few tips...

- Try to keep cool - I know it's hard in this heat!
- Eat and drink regularly, and keep some snacks in your bag. Low blood sugar can make it a lot worse
- Don't stand up too suddenly, particularly after meals

It can be a pain, but remember that it's ultimately a much better situation to be in than having high blood pressure. Hope you feel better soon!

littlepickly Tue 24-Jun-14 09:38:26

Thanks BakingBunty - do you find it's worse if you're tired?

Iswallowedawatermelon Tue 24-Jun-14 09:39:53

Go slowly and steadily.

Don't overheat.

Keep sugar snacks in your bag when you're out.

Iswallowedawatermelon Tue 24-Jun-14 09:40:59

And sit down to rest the moment you feel faint. You don't want to lose consciousness.

BeckaH123 Tue 24-Jun-14 09:50:54

Exactly the same happened to me yesterday and I had to take the day off work. I think it's the heat and humidity which is quite bad here at the moment. Same as you OP, my BP has always been on the low side but never a problem. At my booking appointment, it was 100/55 but I read somewhere that it drops in the second trimester which might explain why it is affecting me now.

I find drinking plenty of cold drinks and regular snacks help. I stupidly skipped breakfast on Sunday and this made me feel awful so don't do that!

CoolCat2014 Tue 24-Jun-14 09:51:30

Make sure you stay hydrated, and don't get too got in the shower. Stand up slowly and just take your time smile

littlepickly Tue 24-Jun-14 10:42:37

Thanks all.

BeckaH123 - yeah I think mine is just dropping now in second trimester which is why it's affecting me - it's funny with the humidity thing as you don't realise how it can affect you.

Just feel wiped out today so I think rest, hydration and snacks is the best course of action!

I find it frustrating as generally like to carry on as normal but I guess I have to listen to my body!

Showy Tue 24-Jun-14 10:49:03

My bp was always 80/50 in the second trimester. It gets better. Stay hydrated and cool and avoid going from one temp to another. I found it hard going into air conditioned shops in summer or warm shops in winter.

KitKat1985 Tue 24-Jun-14 10:50:25

Yeah I've always had quite low blood pressure, which has been exacerbated by pregnancy (often about 90/50). Best tips I can give are:
1) Keep cool if possible.
2) Stand up slowly, especially if you've been lying down.
3) Snack regularly - low blood sugar often makes you feel more light headed.
4) Keep hydrated.
5) Unusual medical tip - add a bit of salt to your meals. The salt encourages you to retain water in your body, and encourages more fluid to stay in your circulatory system, hence helping to increase your blood pressure slightly.

retractablepencils Tue 24-Jun-14 12:53:24

Yes staying hydrated was the main thing that helped me

Heatherbell1978 Tue 24-Jun-14 20:16:48

I've had low BP all the way through this pregnancy, it has now gone UP to 90/60.....ie still low. But I have low BP naturally so it's never affected me too much. In the first trimester I found bananas worked a treat for some reason. I found them quite 'soothing' for nausea and they seemed to keep my blood sugar levels in check. And keep cool, I always feel worse if I'm too hot. Other than that I keep getting told how much better my condition is than high BP!

Heatherbell1978 Tue 24-Jun-14 20:19:08

Oh yes and I drink LOTS of water. Even before pregnancy I used to make sure I drunk at least 2 litres a day (did a lot of bikram yoga so needed to) and I've kept that up which I think has helped prevent a lot of potential pregnancy problems.

lornathewizzard Wed 25-Jun-14 15:20:20

Yep, I agree, keep cool, take it easy and stop when you need to. I have also found that salt helped, for example ready salted crisps if I was feeling crappy. Eating is important. Also, try to stay calm if possible, the 2 times I have fainted whilst pregnant I think I panicked, so try to sit or lie down before it gets to that stage! Symptoms much easier to manage now I am at home on maternity leave smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now