Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Pelvic girdle pain after pregnancy??

(7 Posts)
Bumpylady Mon 23-Jun-14 21:35:13

Hello, did anyone develop this in the months after birth and if so, how long did it last/ what cured it? TIA

Droflove Mon 23-Jun-14 21:55:07

Not me but a friend had bad SPD during pregnancy and unfortunately still has some mild pain at times 5 yrs later that never went away. I think she saw a chiropractor for it but maybe talk to your GP and see what they suggest.

Mouldypineapple Mon 23-Jun-14 21:58:48

I had bad SPD when pregnant with DD2. It did go away initially after birth but I think I was a bit enthusiastic with my new ability to walk pain free and did a couple of long walks when dd was 6-8 weeks old and it came back! Nothing like as bad as when I was pregnant but still quite uncomfortable. And sorry to say it didn't go away for about 18 months..

Isabelle76 Tue 24-Jun-14 11:52:49

It's quite common to have postpartum PGP. I'd have it checked out, it could indicate an underlying problem like arthritis etc.

holdthephone Tue 24-Jun-14 12:03:33

I am currently having physio for this- it started a few weeks after my baby was born (did not have it at all in pregnancy). I put off going to the GP about it for ages as i thought it would go away!

Anyway, it didn't and I started having physio when my baby was about 7 months old. It's helping a lot but the pain is still there, especially after a long walk etc. I wish I had gone to get it sorted sooner!

RAFWife12 Tue 24-Jun-14 13:41:16

I havent had the baby yet, but have PGP in pregnancy. I was talking to physio about this earlier.
The hormone, relaxin, which causes PGP is still released while breastfeeding, although less than during pregnancy. So it is possible to have PGP after giving birth. She told me the pain may be less than what i get now, but still to follow all the rules as can cause damage. I was told if pain still ther 6 weeks after birth - get referred back to physio.
I recommend your friend gets to a physio asap!

camillebbmvalez12345 Tue 24-Jun-14 18:52:12

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now