Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone else hate having their bump touched?

(23 Posts)
youbuggerz Mon 23-Jun-14 19:51:46

I hate it. Get off me. That's all really

spence24 Mon 23-Jun-14 19:54:34

I don't even have one yet, but I've already made it clear to OH and my mum that I will be very intolerant of it. It's an invasion of my personal space. If you don't know me, and you didn't put it there, keeps your hands to yourself.

Cyclebump Mon 23-Jun-14 19:56:59

I don't mind if people ask if he's kicking, it freaks me out when sis in law just randomly strokes me. But she means well and is just excited so I suck it up.

RAFWife12 Mon 23-Jun-14 20:16:20

I've only had 2 people touch my bump - both work colleagues! Both been told I am not comfortable with it!
I kinda see why people want to do it to feel baby kicking, but still think it's weird. They aren't touching the baby - they are touching me! If you wouldn't normally touch me, don't start doing it just coz I am pregnant!
Stand your ground - it's your body.

Buffy81 Mon 23-Jun-14 21:25:21

I find it strange. I tend to take a step back and say to the person not to do it and they accept that. my mum thinks its streamnge that I don't like people touching the bump. She said tome " what are you going to go when giving birth?" Replied back saying that's different as its a job that they do so I know who will be touching and why

I didn't have it at all last time. This time, 3 different people have felt my stomach. I'm 14 weeks... It's all I can not to shout "it's fat, not baby!!!" at them. Rage! smile

Monkeybrain10 Mon 23-Jun-14 22:47:57

I didn't think i had a problem with it til last week when a (not close) friend lunged straight in a felt the bump. It felt strange when my closest friends and most family haven't done that. I was a bit offended but let it slide cause i think she's a bit odd (but harmless!) anyhow...however i love my little niece cuddling the bump. But it's odd how it seems to be vague acquaintances who are most likely to grab the bump!

Scoobsmam13 Tue 24-Jun-14 07:44:53

I never minded when PG with DC1 if people asked if they could touch (people I know from work, friends or family, not strangers). But one person lunged at me to touch it and I found my protective mothering instincts kicked in. I don't know what happened but I suddenly found myself in a "I am about to karate chop you" stance??? I don't know karate, but she didn't know that. She backed off. Scared us both!

Personal space rules still apply 100%

I don't really have a bump yet but know I will hate people feeling they have a right to touch me. So much so i am considering bulk buying these to wear every day: www.newlook.com/shop/maternity/shop-department/maternity-hands-off-the-bump-tee_231692310

camillebbmvalez12345 Tue 24-Jun-14 18:53:37

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Boudica1990 Tue 24-Jun-14 19:00:28

I slap the back of people's hands who touch mine without asking blush

I don't mind when DP's work colleagues ask as they area funny bunch and quite inquisitive, my female friends haven't really bothered, one or two have and I have let them.

My mother and grandmother have never asked.or attempted. There not likely too either.

But yes I hate strangers and people who don't ask and just start pawing at me so they get a slap.

Shakshuka Tue 24-Jun-14 19:02:49

I hate it because I can't stand the feeling of my belly button being out. Makes me feel queasy.

Didn't help that my 7 year old decided one day to invite all her friends to come touch my bump!

HomeIsWhereTheGinIs Tue 24-Jun-14 19:03:18

I thought it would bug me. But actually it doesn't bother me in the least as long as I know the person. No strangers have tried (my bump of the bump of anyone I know)

I said to a complete stranger who touched my bump, "would you like it if I just randomly grabbed your boobs?" They were quite taken aback and apologised. I don't mind close friends n family doing it and have even let the girls at work have a feel of bump kicking, but it's on my terms.

mssleepyhead Tue 24-Jun-14 19:19:33

When I didn't have a proper bump, just squashed up abdominal fat, I hated it. But now it's all baby I'm surprisingly ok with it. Getting a lot of students in my school wanting to touch it and it's quite sweet. They're so excited to touch it; it's nice to bring some excitement into their lives!

Boogles91 Tue 24-Jun-14 20:23:08

Im fine with my family and hubby jus randomly pokin im to wake im up lol must say ive not had any strangers jus doin it though jus polite comments smile x

RetroHippy Tue 24-Jun-14 20:42:04

MIL strokes my tummy and talks to it. I'm 9 weeks - it's all gas and squished up intestines! It's weird but she's depressed and it's one of the few things she gets animated about, so I back off. Would hate a stranger doing it though.

JennyBlueWren Tue 24-Jun-14 21:47:58

at 9 weeks RetroHippy?! I'm just 8 weeks and met up with my in-laws today and would've been shocked if they had tried to touch or stroke my tummy! It's a bit big but not a bump yet.

phoebs88 Tue 24-Jun-14 21:54:02

Yes!

Mainly as it's not a baby bump. Just my squished up fat. (10 wks) Not happy with the MIL!

RetroHippy Wed 25-Jun-14 17:48:36

Yep Jenny, she started the day we told her hmm

Artistic Wed 25-Jun-14 17:58:13

I have involuntarily swatted away people's hands when they've touched me. Not even thought about my reaction beforehand. But no, I can't handle it, and will possibly have other involuntary responses in the future too.

I don't like people 'looking' at my bump either. Like its a piece of furniture to admire!!! grin

LJHH Wed 25-Jun-14 18:06:42

I'm 31 + 5, My new manager introduced herself and then 5 seconds later went straight for the bump. I wanted to punch her but instead just stood there like a moron.

I don't mind close family or friends having a poke and find it quite funny when they are having a chat/stroking the bump and forget it's actually attached to me grin

Hasle157 Wed 25-Jun-14 19:32:29

I'm 34 weeks pregnant and the only people who have touched my bump all the way through has been my partner and my Mum! Perhaps it's the hormones sending out strong 'don't touch me' vibes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now