Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

First HV visit

(11 Posts)
mrsnlw Mon 23-Jun-14 10:49:49

Hi All,

I'm 33+1 today and got a test through this morning arranging an appointment for the HV to do a home visit on Thursday. I havent had any postal appointment/phone call to arrange this but my MW did fill a form in at my 31 week check up.

What happens at a first HV appointment? Does my hubby need to be there as he will be working?

mrsnlw Mon 23-Jun-14 10:54:43

text* >_<

SouthDerbyshireMamma Mon 23-Jun-14 10:55:38

I had a letter telling me the HV was visiting for an antenatal appointment at about 25 weeks. She came round, asked how I was feeling, explained when I would next see her and left me loads of breastfeeding leaflets. She was lovely but some of the advice she gave me contradicted the advice of my Midwife.

My boyfriend works nights so he was in bed when she attended.

Scoobsmam13 Mon 23-Jun-14 14:43:04

I think in my first pregnancy my HV came when I was on maternity leave so I was over 35 weeks. I didn't get the letter with the appointment until the day after she came so I was in my dressing gown (it was about 11am blush) no make up, looked terrible!
From what I remember it was an introduction and leaflet giving, not much else. My now ex wasn't there as we didn't know she was coming, but I don't think he was really required anyways.

Observer78 Mon 23-Jun-14 16:02:41

After reading / hearing some draconian stories about HV's, we were on high alert, even cleaned the house sparkling clean (not that it looked like a crack den to start with). Prepped for inquisition etc.
She came, sat in the living room, asked about us ("to put face to a name" for her and us, so when she comes to visit the baby "it's no longer some stranger turning up"), gave a whole load of info for new mums in the area (breast feeding café meeting point, baby massage, baby yoga, etc.), also gave info on local health visitor team, local health centres, where to go if baby needs urgent care etc.
And that was that. Said that they'll wait to hear about baby's birth / discharge and arrange 1st visit to see him accordingly.
Didn't look through house, didn't ask about out eating / drinking et al habits, no inquisition, nothing.
They're there to give you a hand, and make sure the baby is OK.

DuckeyP Mon 23-Jun-14 23:01:56

Same thing with me. Got the letter through to say when she was coming, and that was it.

She came with another trainee HV, they were lovely. Just asked about us, who we are what we do etc. Gave me some leaflets and signed me up to the local mum and child centre.

My DH was there but they don't have to be. They said they dont often get to see the dads as they're working

mrsnlw Tue 24-Jun-14 10:22:43

Ah cool. Thanks for your replies ladies. I read somewhere they give you your red book at this appointment too?

NickyEds Tue 24-Jun-14 14:40:30

I didn't see the hv until I was discharged from mw care when DS was around 3-4 weeks old. OH was back at work so wasn't there. I got DSs red book at the hospital the day he was born- along with LOADS of other leaflet/ pamphlets and info!!

camillebbmvalez12345 Tue 24-Jun-14 18:50:43

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Observer78 Tue 24-Jun-14 21:18:22

Yes! We got the red book. Was under the impression that the hospital will provide one, but our HV produced one there and then.
It's all good, and very informal. When's your visit?

mrsnlw Wed 25-Jun-14 12:14:46

Observer78 it's next Tues when I'll be 34+2

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now