Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Food poisoning at 21 weeks

(15 Posts)
MrsDowneyJunior Sun 22-Jun-14 20:32:58

I am dieing. Seriously seriously dieing. I stupidly ate some leftover sausages and have spent 4 hours since shaking, dripping in sweat, bent over double nearly crying with the cramps, and glued to the toilet. I rang the antenatal unit and they said it's fine for baby, I don't need to go in unless it last 48 hours or more, just grim for me and to be fair I think my body had been pretty efficient in getting rid of, hell, everything as quickly as possible and in every way possible, but what have you been told? I was always told with DD many moons ago that if I got food poisoning to go in? What has everyone else been told/done? Dr Google has conflicting advice from "it's fine" to "you're both going to die get in NOW!!" hmm

CoolCat2014 Sun 22-Jun-14 21:06:53

I've heard that baby will be fine, the most important thing is to stay hydrated as much as possible. Just think how many people have severe morning sickness/HG and baby is fine. The most important thing is to prevent dehydration, and it might be worth looking up if you can take any dioralyte or similar to replace the salts you'll loose.

If you are worried call them again?

hope you feel better, food poisoning is grim. I had it a couple years ago and couldn't leave the toilet for 12 hours sad

CoolCat2014 Sun 22-Jun-14 21:09:06

saying that NHS website says you should see your GP. Maybe phone your local out of hours service? I've always found them really helpful:

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Food-poisoning/Pages/Symptoms.aspx

MrsDowneyJunior Sun 22-Jun-14 21:18:35

I'm not too worried about dehydration as that's easy to avoid and fix, it's more the chance of any bacteria getting to the baby through the placenta or anything?? plus the cramps and bending over clutching my stomach and hugging a pillow so tightly can't be good for her but it's the only way to ease the pain! I don't want to eat anything but am happy to drink, in fact I've been craving fizzy drinks the whole time - Lucozade mainly but been wanting lemonade and coke a bit too, wondering what is is about Lucozade my body wants because I'm not going to the shop!! As far as I'm aware my GP just refers you to NHS Direct out of hours but I'll give them a call.

MrsDowneyJunior Mon 23-Jun-14 00:12:16

Really feeling very unwell now. sad

Panicmechanic20 Mon 23-Jun-14 00:16:27

Poor you - perhaps phone the hospital again

Hope you feel better soon

hartmel Mon 23-Jun-14 01:25:26

Poor you!!

Phone them again, explain to them you are really worried and this bending over might hurt baby. Maybe you can go in and get some medication that will help relief a little bit..

Get well!

CoolCat2014 Mon 23-Jun-14 09:43:12

I don't think the infection will pass over, I think the dangerous things to baby are more the ones where you have fluey fever like symptoms. But I'm no expert!

Again I know it's not pleasant, but the cramps and holding your tummy probably aren't too different to severe morning sickness - I had MS so bad that my abdomen would ache after, I was worried about baby getting squished, but she's fine.

Hope you are feeling better, do go see your GP if not!

eurochick Mon 23-Jun-14 09:46:59

I saw my GP after 10 days of the squits (bug rather than food poisoning I think). I kept thinking it was stopping and then it would start again, which is why I waited that long. He just shrugged and gave me a sample pot but said the results would take a week (and of course then it finally stopped).

miki123 Mon 23-Jun-14 09:54:46

I had a v violent bout of food poisoning at 37.5 weeks and was sent to hospital to be given a check on. The poisoning passed and baby & I were absolutely fine - to be honest it felt like a total waste of time going to the hospital as all they could do was normal. I think if you're worried you should def get looked at.

miki123 Mon 23-Jun-14 10:00:07

Sorry I meant to say "all they could of was check the heart beat was normal"

Eastwiththem Mon 23-Jun-14 13:49:47

If you are being ill straight after eating something dodgy then it's generally not that serious, especially if you are keeping hydrated.

Basically we are being exposed to germs and bacteria all the time, and your body can deal with these fine in small quantities. If you eat something with more than a manageable quantity of germs on it, then if your body rejects it almost instantly you will purge the germs and you won't have any major damage (apart from feeling awful). This type of food poisoning won't harm your baby as the germs are being expelled from your system before they get in to your blood. It's unpleasant but as long as you are feeling better in 6-12 hours after onset then your immune system has done it's job and protected you from the bacteria.

The other type is when your body doesn't recognise the germs, and the bacteria is able to multiply and grow within your system - eventually producing fluey symptoms and extended bouts of D&V (days, not hours). This is very very serious and needs medical treatment as the bacteria is overwhelming your immune system and this is the type that has the potential to harm your baby as the bacteria has escaped your digestive system and is now affecting other parts of your body. This type of food poisoning is very rare and usually requires your GP to report it to environmental health who will attempt to trace the source.

Hope you feel better soon and try not worry!

MrsDowneyJunior Mon 23-Jun-14 22:46:47

East that's a really cool way of explaining it, thanks!

Well it's taken 31 hours but I finally managed to eat something without having to lock myself in the bathroom for an hour! Woohoo! Still feel a bit delicate but a million times better. God I wanted to die last night!

weeonion Wed 25-Jun-14 09:17:11

Glad you're feeling better now.

nc060 Wed 25-Jun-14 10:25:13

not much to add except your body was probably cravibg the sugar/glucose hit you get almost immediately from lucozade. Glsd you're starting to feel a bit better xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now