Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

When I need to wee I really need to wee!

(4 Posts)
Dizzylizzie29 Tue 17-Jun-14 13:14:19

I am currently 18 weeks pregnant, I work full time in a job that requires me to be outdoors or in a vehicle. There is manual handling however I have been advised to only do what I am comfortable with.
I currently have a UTI I have nearly finished my course of anti biotics however it doesn't feel like it has cleared up (dr appt later to confirm) I am unable to go to the toilet when I need to. I have to drive or walk to the nearest available toilet. Normally 5/10 minutes but occasionally longer, one occasion 30 mins and I nearly wet myself! I guess my question is has anyone been in a similar role/position. Any suggestions? I want to work right up until baby's due for financial reasons but can see my toilet issue becoming more and more of a problem. Office work has been vetoed as there is nothing in my job description to allow this.

theborrower Tue 17-Jun-14 14:51:23

No experience, but can the doctor sign you off for a few days until the infection clears up properly?

soundsystem Tue 17-Jun-14 15:44:30

Are there any roles within your organisation you could do that keep you nearer to a loo? Rather than getting the doctor to sign you off completely, it may be worth getting them to right a "fit note" on what you can do, i.e. you are perfectly able to keep working but you need to be able to have access to a toilet and not driving around.

I'd ask them to do a risk assessment (even if they've already done one I'd do a new one as your situation has changed) as if they agree your job is unsafe they have to find something else for you to do. I know you say there's nothing in your job description to provide for office work, which is why I'd make it a health and safety issue. If you just fancied working in the office for a bit they could tell you to sod off, but if your role is affecting your health or that of your baby they need to look at alternatives, regardless.

If there really isn't something else for you to do, and they conclude your not safe to do your contracted role they can tell you to stay off but they need to pay you (it's a form of sex discrimination otherwise, as they couldn't do it to a bloke).

In the risk assessment, I'd offer suggestions on things you can do, and ask to review in a month (for example) as it may be when your infection is cleared up you can go back to your regular work.

Hope this helps!

stripeyred Tue 17-Jun-14 16:01:18

Shewee? Sorry, it is undignified but I kept one in car during my last pregnancy as I was travelling a lot with work.
Thankfully only had to use it once

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now