Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Bouncers or Swings? Make ur vote!

(25 Posts)
Jemima1988 Mon 16-Jun-14 18:58:06

I am currently pregnant and buying all my baby bits but there is so much choice

My question what is better .....

A vibrating bouncer
Or
A swing

I can see both being soothing and both helping baby sleep ...... Decisions HELP

RAFWife12 Mon 16-Jun-14 19:20:32

We are first timers too! We have gone for a vibrating bouncer that also rocks.
Our reasoning is - every parent we have spoken to IRL has said vibrating is best! Also, this one converts to a toddler seat so in theory lasts longer.
Interested to see if others agree...

woodwaj Mon 16-Jun-14 19:22:58

Have a google for a rocker napper. I am way too early on to buy but loving the look of it!

tealover1985 Mon 16-Jun-14 19:26:10

We used the swing loads more than bouncy chair when DS was really young as he fell asleep every time in the swing. Now he's four months I use the chair a bit more just to transfer him in to for a nap. Swing was invaluable tbh in the early weeks.

PretzelPrincess Mon 16-Jun-14 19:32:36

Vibrating chair for us. I have my eye on the mamaroo now tho

HoneyDragon Mon 16-Jun-14 19:35:41

Baby bjorn babysitter. Every time. They are brilliant.

Sillylass79 Mon 16-Jun-14 19:56:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sillylass79 Mon 16-Jun-14 19:57:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

icklekid Mon 16-Jun-14 20:20:35

We've gone for bouncer...will wait and see if was right decision... (Partly because swings are ridiculous price and size!)

Buffy81 Mon 16-Jun-14 20:25:05

We ate going for a bouncer. Just in the process of researching what one to get and am due in 9 weeks

lilibet Mon 16-Jun-14 20:52:19

ahem...

your

Before anyone flames me for correcting grammar which I know is frowned upon on here, Jemima and I have history, about 25 years history! smile

ShineSmile Mon 16-Jun-14 20:56:32

Both really, but if you really only want one, I would go with swing.

Heatherbell1978 Mon 16-Jun-14 20:58:45

I spent ages researching this (am currently 31 wks pregnant) and eventually opted for the Baby Bjorn bouncer as I couldn't find a bad review about it! It's expensive but I got it for £65 on Amazon (normally £100). Hopefully it was a good investment!

HoneyDragon Mon 16-Jun-14 21:01:30

They last till three years old and they can bob themselves off to sleep. They really are good Heather.

OnABabyDiet Mon 16-Jun-14 22:02:54

We had both with dd1 - we got bothel 2nd hand as we weren't sure which one would be best.
Vibrating bouncy chair was absolutely amazing. Swing was enormous and took ages to get her off to sleep.
Have gone for another bouncer with vibrate function for dd2.

Dollybird86 Mon 16-Jun-14 22:10:27

My daughter hated both! The bouncer still has the first set of batteries in & she's 8 months hmm
We bought the pricey mamas and papas bouncer and where given a swing. My advice is borrow one if you can you! Babe's are funny little people!

MrTumblesSpottyBum Mon 16-Jun-14 22:11:26

Both our DDs hated our vibrating bouncer and we spent weeks and weeks with both of them rocking it with our feet (it was one thing that really made a difference with colic).

DC3 (9weeks now) has got the Mamas & Papas rocking swing (that does up to 15 mins) and he loves it, and I love it!

Ds1 loved the swing, hated a bouncer
Ds2 meh about the swing and adored a bouncer.

Go figure.

Artandco Mon 16-Jun-14 22:29:35

Another view , we never had either and never felt we missed out. Didn't buy at first as little space so thought we would just see what happened and buy what we needed as it arised. Both were happy to lay on sheepskin rug when awake, and just slept on rug/ us/ cot

angelopal Tue 17-Jun-14 08:21:27

Never had a bouncer but were given a swing and love it. Dd always seems to settle with motion so not sure if a bouncer would have been as good for her.

tryingtocatchthewind Tue 17-Jun-14 08:28:42

We had both, des loved the swing but not so fussed about bouncer x

ithoughtofitfirst Wed 18-Jun-14 06:05:58

This discussion made me smile. So many good memories of this little piece of crap bouncer we bought from mothercare. Used to stick DS in it so I could vacuum or go in the bath and he would just fall asleep within seconds cause of the vibrations.

Never tried a swing but if you want to save money on something bouncers are so cheap and do the job x

mummy101214 Wed 18-Jun-14 07:56:18

I had both for both of my boys and they hardly got used. Babies hated them!

What did help for me getting housework done, running around after a toddler (when DS2 was born) , cooking dinner, settling a grumpy baby, was a sling. I had a connecta baby carrier and I LOVED it and so did my boys. I cinched it in at the bottom when they were tiny (but still so it supported them from their bottom to the backs of their knees, they should be in a frog-like position, so none of the Baby Bjorns or the ones readily available on the high street as they aren't great for the baby's position and will be uncomfortable for you to wear once baby starts to put some weight on) and DS2 either spent most of his time in there, or feeding!

Stretchy wraps are also great for newborns. I'm getting a stretchy for this baby and then moving on to a full buckle when he/she gets a bit bigger. I carried my DS2 until a week before his 2nd birthday when he refused thinking that walking is much more fun than being on mummy's back!

Also, have you ever seen a baby wearing daddy? CUTE.

megann93 Wed 18-Jun-14 09:20:26

i was in the same position. i was stuck between tiny love 3-in-1 rocker napper and Fisher Price® 3-in-1 Swing 'n Rocker.
ended up going with the fisher price and so glad i did absolutely love it! cant wait till my little mans here to get him in it smile xx

DuckeyP Wed 18-Jun-14 20:55:07

We've gone for a vibrating bouncer because the swings dont seem to change their swinging speed. (Even though they are supposed to)

When i tried the swings in the shops, the speed never changed even if i changed the dial or the button etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now