Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

polyhydramnios or high amniotic fliud

(6 Posts)
rk25082013 Sun 15-Jun-14 07:18:27

Hi recently i was diagnosed of high amniotic fluid on usg...i m 32 wk n my doctor said that i had a chance of going into preterm labour...
I m concerned with the cause of my comdition because i m nt having abnormal sugars...
I m worried about my baby inside...is it normal or not??? I m having sleepless nights...pleae help out...

mummy101214 Sun 15-Jun-14 07:53:36

If it's any consolation, I was diagnosed with this around 30 weeks pregnant with my DS2. They scared the hell out of me to be honest, saying that I might have to be admitted because if my waters went there was a chance the cord could drop first and he would land on it, cutting his oxygen supply off!! He was born at 39+4 after having my waters broken due to contracting from 35 weeks (I was already 3-4cms) and the labour was perfect, and so is he :-)

They told me just to keep an eye on things and if I feel any trickles or any contractions etc, to just go up. Towards the end (well, 39+3) the fluid levels had started to drop.

He was born weighing 8lb 3.25oz so not a giant either :-) Just keep an eye on things and if you start to feel like anything isn't right then go and get checked. Chances are everything will be fine! x

mummy101214 Sun 15-Jun-14 07:54:09

How far ahead are you measuring by the way? I was measuring 4-5 weeks ahead.

rk25082013 Sun 15-Jun-14 09:06:18

Your reply is worth tons relief..thanks a lot:-)
i was just wakin up in the middle of nights thinking about the baby ...your reply boosts my confidence..
I hope everything goes on well...
By the way what do you mean by measuring ahead...i dint understand

rk25082013 Sun 15-Jun-14 10:19:17

One more query..i hope i m nt irrritating u..but...little over concerned ...what precautions are to be taken to prolong pregnancy further and avoid pre term delivery in my case

mummy101214 Sun 15-Jun-14 13:03:56

Has your midwife measured your bump? Usually your fundal height should correspond with how far along you are, or be bigger/smaller by 2-3cm (which is roughly 2-3 weeks) so if you are 32 weeks your fundal height should be around there too. Mine made me 35 weeks at 30 weeks, which is why they sent me for a scan and found the polyhydramnios. I wouldn't say there are any precautions as such, just rest as much as you can (easier said than done I know especially if you have other children) and if you feel concerned at all, give your midwife or labour ward a call, they are there to help you and if they are in any doubt they will get you to go in. Try not to be worried (again, easier said than done!) but if they were in any doubt that you are at risk of going into labour, they would admit you and give steroids if necessary to mature your babies' lungs and maybe try to hold things off x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now