Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Accuracy of gender prediction on ultrasound at 21 & 30 weeks

(12 Posts)
Bellyrub1980 Sat 14-Jun-14 11:10:34

Hiya

Before I start (and before criticism comes crashing down upon me) I'm not actually bothered if I have a boy or a girl, a healthy baby is really all I care about!

We decided (through pure curiosity) to find out the gender at the 21 week scan. The sonographer was brilliant, and gave us so much detail about our baby's lovely little body I'm still going off into day dreams thinking about it.

Anyhoo, he said the baby was a girl and was as certain as he could ever be. He explained that of course there's a small failure rate on these predictions and in some cases the willy takes a little longer to show itself. Fair enough we thought! We would be delighted either way, so it still feels like there's a small element of surprise which is okay by us.

However!! A few days later and the grandmothers have already spent a fortune on pink, flowery things! It's all sitting on the spare bed looking very girly. (I've not removed a single label just in case it needs to be returned)

We plan to have a 4d scan at 30 weeks and I was just curious to know, can we be pretty certain of the gender by then? We don't plan to by any gender specific stuff until that scan just to be sure... But will hold off till the birth if the failure rate is exactly the same.

Obviously I'll ask the sonographer during the 4d scan but have to wait 10 weeks for that!

orangepudding Sat 14-Jun-14 11:13:27

At 20 weeks I was told I was having a girl. At 32 weeks it was very clear I was having a boy!

Bellyrub1980 Sat 14-Jun-14 11:21:23

I'm hearing story's like that all the time now Orange!

Sleepyhoglet Sat 14-Jun-14 12:45:43

Oh no. I've booked a gender scan for 18 weeks.

juneau Sat 14-Jun-14 12:48:09

It depends what you can see. At a scan I had at about 24 weeks we could clearly see that we were having a boy, but I've heard of at least one 'girl' who turned out to be male when he was born.

Bellyrub1980 Sat 14-Jun-14 14:04:37

I think the accuracy of predicting a boy is higher.

SweepTheHalls Sat 14-Jun-14 14:05:51

Both times told boys at 20 weeks, 2 mad boys running around my house today grin

Chopsypie Sat 14-Jun-14 14:43:54

I was told correctly both times. DS and DD. In fact, I don't know anyone IRL who was told wrongly. I've heard stories but that's it

Artistic Sat 14-Jun-14 15:11:22

I had the Harmony test & they told me the gender with 99.99% accuracy via the chromosome test. This was at 11 weeks. Re-confirmed at the 20 week scan.

If I had only done the scan I wouldn't be sure until very late scans.

I hope it's pink you need - for your sake! No returns then!

hubbahubster Sat 14-Jun-14 16:39:03

Both 20 weeks scans have been accurate for me (one of each). At DD's 32 week scan it was very clear that she was a girl.

frankiebuns Sat 14-Jun-14 17:34:44

We had the sonographer tell us pretty certai it was a girl we had a 4d scan last week and yep we saw the burger sign on the 2d scan and sonographer said yep dex a girl yay we were all surprised

AntinousWild Sat 14-Jun-14 17:39:07

We were left in no doubt with either dc. DD was legs akimbo at a 23 week scan and you could see quite obviously that she was a girl. DS was not only clearly a boy, we saw him having a wee during my 20 week scan. He was either a boy or a girl with a penis and testicles. I had a 30 week scan (high risk pregnancy) and the consultant commented on his 'enormous scrotum'. Really, there was no doubt whatsoever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now