Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How to have sex after 37 weeks without starting labour

(8 Posts)
Iswallowedawatermelon Sat 14-Jun-14 03:40:50

I want to have sex but for a number of reasons really don't want to go into labour yet ( I am 38 weeks). Is it very likely to start it? Should we use condoms or is it the actual intercourse that can start labour? Any advice or experience appreciated thanks

BernardlookImaprostituterobotf Sat 14-Jun-14 04:42:46

It's the prostaglandins in the semen that are used to ripen the cervix anecdotally and this is very frequently trotted out. Studies looking at how sex induces labour (semen, nipple stimulation or physical action) basically haven't been able to prove that it actually does. However the relevant info would be that NHS advice is sex won't be harmful unless you have been medically advised to refrain or your waters have broken and isn't going to start your labour.
So if you want to, do so. You'll go when you go, bar medical induction.

BernardlookImaprostituterobotf Sat 14-Jun-14 04:43:49

Sorry - and *it isn't going to start your labour.

Hazchem Sat 14-Jun-14 06:50:44

Yeah we basically had sex everyday from 38 weeks to bring on labour DS was born at 40+10.

weebairn Sat 14-Jun-14 07:29:09

I had sex most days throughout pregnancy and didn't go into labour till 40+4.

I also cooked hot curry all the time and walked everywhere.

So my options for bringing on labour by the time I got to 39/40 weeks were pretty limited smile

weebairn Sat 14-Jun-14 07:29:30

I think you just go when you go, medical inductions aside (and even they don't always "work")

Iswallowedawatermelon Sat 14-Jun-14 07:36:27

Ok thanks, so we'll use condoms and avoid nipples. Hopefully it isn't proved true for us confused

Standinginline Sat 14-Jun-14 07:45:33

I went in literally 10 mins after having sex with my partner BUT I would've gone in round that day ,anyway ,as I was only in for a few hours. It doesn't cause labour ,it's not going to make you go in unless your body is ready.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now