Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Care to share your weight gain at around 24 weeks?

(24 Posts)
Tory79 Fri 13-Jun-14 23:12:04

I am paranoid about this, because with ds, I put on over 3 stone (and he was born a month early!!!) and I weighed under 9 stone before, so a pretty hefty gain, some of which was a lot of fluid retention.

I can't remember how much I'd put on at the various stages, but this time round I THINK I'm doing better, and at just over 24 weeks have put on just over a stone.... How does that compare to anyone else?

Casmama Fri 13-Jun-14 23:49:23

I had put on about 9 lbs by 24 weeks. I was overweight to start with- bmi of 28 so recommends gain lower than if you are healthy weight/ underweight to start.

Barbsta Sat 14-Jun-14 03:54:31

If gained two stone by 24 :s currently around 3 stone at 38 + 2 so going by my gain you have halved your gain from last time

Barbsta Sat 14-Jun-14 03:56:20

I was a similar starting weight to you as well do you mind me asking how much weight was last when the baby was born? And how much weight gain you had to work at losing?

Tory79 Sat 14-Jun-14 07:43:55

Barbsta I think I lost about 1.5 stone when the baby was born (that was over the course of the first week as the fluid went!) and then had just under 2 stone still to lose which was off in about 4 months.

bronya Sat 14-Jun-14 07:46:37

I have put on 10lb at 21 weeks...

bugoven Sat 14-Jun-14 07:52:27

I had gained a stone at 24 weeks. Started off in the overweight category but if anything the rest of me is slightly slimmer. It's all bump and boobs and have been reassured by midwife that I'm doing fine so sure you are too. I'm making sure I drink plenty of fluids and eat a balanced diet. The rest I think is decided by baby =) Good luck!

TheresLotsOfFarmyardAnimals Sat 14-Jun-14 07:55:24

4lbs at 20 wks then a lbs a week or slightly under until 40 weeks. So around 8lbs.

I had bad ms though until 16 weeks & lost weight.

ImBrian Sat 14-Jun-14 07:57:39

With all 4 of mine I put on a stone by 21 weeks, the majority in the first 14 weeks. I managed to gain 2 1/2 to 3 stone with all of them as well. Mainly because I ate too much of the wrong stuff though.

DearDinah Sat 14-Jun-14 08:07:05

I was 9 & half to begin with, now at 28 weeks I'm 11 & 1/2!
This is my first so I've nothing to compare it to, nor know how easy/hard it is to shift blush I just have such a bad sugar craving!

TheresLotsOfFarmyardAnimals Sat 14-Jun-14 08:16:05

Dinah, I put on a total of 26 lbs. 3 weeks after baby when the water retention had gone and I was nearly done bleeding I'd lost 22 lbs.

After that initial period the 4 lbs stayed until I was back at work. It then dropped off plus another 10 lbs.I think you have to work at getting off the excess after that initial month of loss.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Sat 14-Jun-14 08:38:56

I've put on a stone at 32 weeks. It's the first time I've been weighed by the mw in my whole pregnancy for some reason. Was 8st pre.

allisgood1 Sat 14-Jun-14 08:41:24

I started out the thinnest I've been (under 9 stone) and had gained around 20lbs at 24 weeks. Am 28 weeks tomorrow but too scared to weigh myself! My feet are a little swollen though so I am sure I have extra fluid which weighs a lot.

weebairn Sat 14-Jun-14 10:59:52

Bah, I don't want to weigh myself.

Looking at pics of previous pregnancy I'm around the same size, maybe 1-2 weeks ahead of last time. I put on 2.5 stone in total last time but I'm not really sure how as I ate very healthily and exercised a LOT (haven't been quite as good this time with toddler to run after). People went on and on about how teeny I was at term, so I don't think I looked like I'd put on over 2 st. So I'm not sure weight is that good a measure. It all came off fine, but not that quickly. I was probably one size up with no belly a couple of weeks after birth, wearing my normal clothes at around 6-7 months after birth, and back to just below my normal size just after a year I think. Boobs were the last thing to go back to normal (I breastfed till 20 months).

I feel a bit grumpy about my size this week (I am also 25 weeks), was kind of feeling ok up to now. I think 3rd trimester is easier in some ways, I keep wearing my normal tops and some skirts and shorts with less fitted waists, and of course they are tighter etc, but mat gear looks a bit silly still. When I look in the mirror or take pics I look ok, but I just feel so heavy!

So I don't see any point in weighing myself because it will just make me grumpy smile

I don't think you have a great deal of control over the whole process, other than not mainlining cake etc. People's bodies react differently.

Inbl00m Sat 14-Jun-14 14:33:24

I'd put on 12lbs at 24 weeks. Was 7st 4lbs to start with.

mrsnec Sat 14-Jun-14 14:48:32

Started at 75 kg now 80 kg. In my 25th week too. Wasn't worried about my weight at all but I've seen 3 different doctors so far one of them made me worry a lot about it but the other 2 said I was fine. I hope I don't put on too much more though.

frankiebuns Sat 14-Jun-14 17:51:14

I got weighed at 28weeks and I had put on 7.5kg from beginning I puton 4stone with ds so this is lovely!

frankiebuns Sat 14-Jun-14 17:52:26

Hit send button lol, I have a high bmi so I was told I couldn't put more than 9kg in this pregnancy

allisgood1 Sat 14-Jun-14 18:07:00

Weebairn, probably fluid! I just weighed myself and the scales said 64% water! I know it's not exact but I am a little swollen so I'm not believing all of the weight I'm putting on is fat and baby. Surely some has to be fluid retention?!?

Lozmatoz Sat 14-Jun-14 18:12:40

About 1 stone.

Eastwiththem Sat 14-Jun-14 23:23:33

I started out at 68kg and I'm now 26 weeks and have gone up to 72.5kg. So 9-10lb?

However I have been mainlining cake as its about the only thing other than cheese toasties and avocados I can face eating at the moment. So yeh, I definitely think you can't control the weight gain in the same way you would be able to control your weight normally. If I ate like that normally I'd be enormous.

Gennz Sat 14-Jun-14 23:58:00

I started at 68 and am now 75 at 16 weeks! blush

Not too concerned - I put on 3.5kgs almost as soon as I got a BFP which I think was all fluid - boobs went enormous immediately! Plus have been really sick and mainlining stodgey carbs so it was inevitable. Hopefully the rate of gain will slow for a bit now I'm in the 2nd trimester. Have been sitting at 75 for the last few weeks.

lolee777 Sun 15-Jun-14 16:53:37

At twenty five weeks I have put on one stone and one pound.

Heatherbell1978 Sun 15-Jun-14 17:29:16

I started at just over 9 stone and put on 13 lbs by 24 wks. I'm now 31 wks and I've almost put on 2 stone. Weight gain seems to have accelerated a lot in last few weeks so hoping it calms a bit!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now