Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Huge jump in weight in just a week?!

(11 Posts)
Heatherbell1978 Fri 13-Jun-14 08:45:33

I'm 31 wks and have been tracking my weight gain since the beginning of my pregnancy. Recently I've been putting on around 1 to 2 lbs a week and I'm apparently within the 'normal' weight gain range according to a website I've been using. Just weighed myself this morning and I've gained 4 lbs in a week! Now I'm 'out' the normal for my starting BMI which was 22 I think. I haven't been eating loads or any more than normal and exercise reasonably regularly. Anyone else experienced any random big jumps in weight gain? (I was 128 lbs at start of pregnancy and now 154. I'm 5'5)

frankiebuns Fri 13-Jun-14 09:07:02

Not to scare you but one of the signs of pre eclampsia is a huge weight gain in a week do u feel fine other wise? My midwife has told me I can only put on 9kg In whole pregnancy and so far at29 weeks I've only put on. 7.5kg as I haven't really been hungry I just graze and have one bg meal a day.

MrsMonkeyBear Fri 13-Jun-14 09:07:36

Right at the beginning of my pregnancy I put on nearly a stone in 5 weeks. I've never put on weight that quickly in my life!!! Now I'm averaging a lb a week but it's sporadic. 3lb one week nothing for 3 weeks then another 5lb.
I think it coincides to the little lady in me having her growth spurts!!

Foxeym Fri 13-Jun-14 09:38:55

I never worry about weight gain when pregnant. I'm usually quite slim but always put on about 3.5 stone when pregnant. DC3 is now 7 months and I'm back in pre pregnancy clothes by just healthy eating and walking with the pushchair. Don't worry it will come off after

Heatherbell1978 Fri 13-Jun-14 10:04:40

Frankieburns, yes otherwise I feel fine and have actually enjoyed a pretty easy pregnancy so far. My blood pressure is really low so not sure if it could be pre-eclampsia? I don't actually think I look that big which is the weird thing! I can see I've put on a bit around my thighs but other than that it's all bump and I'm still in small or size 10 maternity wear.......thats 2 stone nearly on and I still have a couple of months to go!!

Foxeym, I hope it's the same for me. I'm not obsessed over it but it's my first and I guess I've always been quite slim and wear fashionable clothes etc so it's all a bit strange watching the scales tip into digits I've never seen before!

mssleepyhead Fri 13-Jun-14 10:17:34

I was talking to my midwife about weight gain as I was tracking mine and the website I was using was worrying me because at 28 weeks I suddenly became way over the limit. My midwife took one look at me and told me to stop tracking my weight. Like you, I'm quite slim usually and she said not to worry about weight gain unless I start to notice it (or she does!). She said as long as I'm eating healthily it's fine. I feel so much better now I'm not tracking it! I've put on about 12kg so far but I still fit into my size 10-12 maternity clothes and I know baby is growing well. I don't think weight gain is an exact science in pregnancy; just do what you can to be and feel healthy.

RAFWife12 Fri 13-Jun-14 11:23:15

I have weeks where i put on 1kg, then gain nothing the next week. So on average it evens out. You might find next week or 2 you dont gain at all. Baby just probably had a growth spurt.
I've been researching a lot about pre-eclampsia as I have been having symptoms and was in hospital tuesday but discharged. The massive weight gain with that is due to fluid retention - have you been swelling a lot? With low BP its unlikely to be that. Keep yourself well hydrated!

Eastwiththem Fri 13-Jun-14 13:41:47

I've had weeks where I've put on 3/4lb in a week, but then lost weight the next week. Maybe give it a couple of days and weigh again, you might find it evens out.

starrynight123 Fri 13-Jun-14 14:03:04

I'm not concentrating on my weight during my pregnancy (my first) because I haven't been able to eat nearly as much as I ought to due to hyperemesis. But, having said that, I've only put on 3kg and I'm 33wks along, and the baby is at the right size and doing well which is the main thing. So, I figure as long as the scans and any tests show that you and the baby are healthy and doing well, it doesn't seem necessary to overly focus on weight gain.

Vespar7 Fri 13-Jun-14 14:39:57

If you are feeling otherwise ok I wouldn't worry. I've had weeks where I've put on 3kg. I too don't feel like I'm eating more than normal so it is strange but it was the same with my last pregnancy.

eurochick Fri 13-Jun-14 14:45:11

I've put on 2 stone at 29 weeks. I was a fairly slim size 10 before I got pregnant and have never put weight on quickly. I am definitely holding some extra weight around my bum and thighs (it is not all bump) but my mw isn't in the least bit worried. I put on 10lbs between BFP and 10 weeks, without eating anywhere near the amount to justify such a gain. It then stayed static for quite a while. My weight gain has definitely not been even.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now