Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Getting used to slower digestion

(7 Posts)
freneticfox Thu 12-Jun-14 23:21:09

OK so at 6 weeks I'm getting the hang of grazing to stave off nausea, but I'm still eating sizable meals at dinner, which I'm trying to adjust the next few days.

I'm feeling my most sick after a meal, usually an hour or so after.

Any tips for helping my digestion along? I know it's normal for it to slow, but every little helps...

Bleurgh.

freneticfox Fri 13-Jun-14 00:14:46

Anyone?

Also gladly receive advice on planning smaller meals!

MrsMonkeyBear Fri 13-Jun-14 05:49:46

Smaller plates are big help. I just bought a couple of cheap plastic kids plates and as they are half the size of on of my normal plates, I only put on half the amount of food.

Drink lots of fluids and eat loads of fibre to keep everything moving.

My typical day is (yes I eat 2 breakfasts and get up at stupid o'clock for work)

Breakfast 4am: 2 slices of toast with peanut butter and jam, cup of tea
Breakfast 8am: bacon, egg and potato scone, cup of tea, pint of water
Snack 10.30am: banana, glass of oj
Lunch 1pm: pasta, 1/2 can tuna, pasta sauce, pint of water
Snack 3.30pm: peach, 1/2 avocado, can of coke (my treat)
Dinner 5.30pm: roast chicken breast, jacket potato, salad, pint of water
Snack 8pm: crudités and hummus, pint of milk

Oh and I have to taste test around 10-15 things at work, so I pretty much eat all day. (I don't sit still, and have so far at 21 weeks put on just over a stone)

There are still days I'm bunged up, and I will take lactulose to help things along.

mssleepyhead Fri 13-Jun-14 06:30:59

Rennies! Wish I'd discovered them sooner : )

squizita Fri 13-Jun-14 11:48:26

Break it into 2 mini meals - eat half at a time with a break. Or my preference half your dinner then pudding later! grin

Smoothies and fruit juices help keep things moving.

Also fybogel can help.

PomeralLights Fri 13-Jun-14 11:53:17

Swap all white carbs for wholemeal - wholemeal bread, pasta, wild rice etc. I'm not keen on wholemeal bread but for me it's worth it for the difference it's made. That's all I needed to do to sort my digestion out. I've heard a lot of people say there are specific foods that caused them trouble, maybe try swapping out various different bits of your diet til you can pinpoint the trouble makers.

Bonniebaby777 Fri 13-Jun-14 21:33:20

How about digestive enzymes from Holland and Barrett? I've got some and they seem to help. Allbran helps at the other end wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now