Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

worried about life on maternity leave....

(9 Posts)
Sandra48 Thu 12-Jun-14 19:07:20

i was just wondering if youre able to claim any benefits whilst on maternity leave? my partner earns around 23,000 a year and i wont be going back to work full time. we already pay for 2 of his kids from a previous relationship so money is going to be tight when i go down to £136 a week.
i know i can claim child benefits but is there anything else we would be entitled to? im not trying to be a benefit grabber - just want to get what im entitled to?

Rkg233 Thu 12-Jun-14 19:09:04

You might be entitled to tax credits. Try going on the entitled to or turn2us websites and putting in what your income will be.

Sandra48 Thu 12-Jun-14 19:14:26

ive tried doing that before and it comes up with nothing. am i putting in that im only earning £136 a week or what i was origianly earning?

Rkg233 Thu 12-Jun-14 19:18:22

TC are complicated as they go on last year's income. You might be better off posting in the Money topic as I am by no means an expert and would hate to give out the wrong advice!

Dollybird86 Thu 12-Jun-14 19:27:56

Hi I'm currently on mat leave my dh earn about half what your dp does and we currently get 5.23 a week in TC hmm try doing the benefit checker it will give you an idea of what you can get hth

Foxeym Fri 13-Jun-14 06:54:12

With your partner earning 23k you probably won't get much if anything from tax credits plus they work it out on last years earnings from both of you but it might be worth ringing them to check

BikeRunSki Fri 13-Jun-14 06:59:34

Our Surestart centre has a lady from the Jobcentre who comes in once a month to talk to people about what benefits they are entitled to. Ours helped me do a TC application based on current income when DH was made redundant when dd was 4 weeks old.

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Fri 13-Jun-14 08:44:00

They work it out on last tax yr earnings however u can ring once applied n update with most current earnings n predicted for current tax yr I did this when on mat leave last time although limits were higher in 2010 this time we will be entitled to zilch.

fifi669 Fri 13-Jun-14 10:27:40

The first £100 pw of maternity pay is discounted for tax credits. You need to fill in the form with last years income, add an extra sheet asking them to base it on this years estimate instead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now