Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Red blood nearly 9 weeks pregnant terrified and abroad!

(68 Posts)
Chattycat78 Thu 12-Jun-14 06:55:44

Hi girls,

I'm 9 weeks pg tomorrow and when I went to the bathroom this morning I had red blood when I wiped sad it was proper red too. I think I lost about a tablespoon of blood so obviously I panicked and put a pad on. I've had a bit more spotting since but nothing the same and I've got no pain. I had a scan a week ago that showed a heartbeat and seemed to show all was well sad

Unfortunately I'm currently abroad so I cannot call the epu to get another scan Tuesday!

Does anyone have a similar story to share where it didn't end badly? I've had a miscarriage already and no children yet so I would be devastated if this is going the same way, especially when I'm not even in the countrysad

SummerSazz Thu 12-Jun-14 18:13:02

Try to relax (and I know that's easier said than done) but realistically even if you were in the uk there isn't that much thy could do other than scan and then send you away to see how things progress.
It must feel like it is more out of control as you are away, but put your feet up and think of all the positive stories above.

fingers x'd all is ok smile

Pregnantagain7 Thu 12-Jun-14 19:07:20

I'm no expert but it is def a good sign that it's stopped. I didn't say in my previous post but I've had three mcs and with all of them I started to bleed and it didn't stop. I had quite severe cramping and there was a lot of blood. I was soaking a huge pad in half and hour and at some points I couldn't leave the bathroom. However that is just my experience I don't know if that is what happens to everyone. A bleed is always a horrible experience no matter the outcome, but I think you have some positives it was a one off gush, it's stopped, you have no pains and you saw the heartbeat last week all really good things. Keeping everything crossed for you smile

Cloud10 Thu 12-Jun-14 21:39:07

I'm currently 13.5 weeks and bled on and off from 6 to 12 weeks, both red and brown. I ended up having loads of private scans for reassurance, it helped with the stress but it's still so horrible seeing the blood. If it has stopped or slowed to just light spotting then that's good. I too had some while on holiday and the anxiety just ruined the holiday, but when I got back it turned out that everything was ok! It's common, not nice, but definitely common, so really hope you can enjoy the last few days of holiday, a remote island sounds lovely!

Chattycat78 Fri 13-Jun-14 10:53:49

Hi everyone,

Once again thanks so much for all the support.

I decided to call my local epu today (yes from abroad and it's going to cost a fortune) and they actually told me it sounded like an implantation bleed (at 9 weeks?) and they they would not be looking to scan me unless I started bleeding again or it got worse. Does this sound right or have I been fobbed off? I didn't argue too much as I'm away, but I'm definitely not about to wait until 12 weeks for the next scan! I'll pay if I have to.

Barbie1 Fri 13-Jun-14 11:20:14

Luckily for me I was in the M.E when pregnant with my two dc's and I had a scan after every bleed.

For peace of mind i would be booking a private scan on my return

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 13-Jun-14 11:32:43

Hi OPsmile

Even when I bled at 12 weeks and went to A and E I was told to go home and wait,I wasn't offered a scan.

I had an internal scan at 9 weeks but iirc that was to rule out an ectopic.

It's horrible waiting but the fact you haven't bled again I think is a good sign as others have said you bled a lot with a mc.

thanks brew

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 13-Jun-14 11:37:23

According to google implantation bleeds occur 6-12 days after conception. Worth getting checked out properly I think when you get home x

Pobblewhohasnotoes Fri 13-Jun-14 12:45:18

Implantation bleeding happens at the time you would be due your period as far as I'm aware so I'm not sure why they've told you that.

BrunoBrookesDinedAlone Fri 13-Jun-14 12:50:32

Just wanted to say I'm another person who had this, at exactly the same point. DC2 was fine. Bleeding lasted about a week, off and on. No explanation!

LittlePeasMummy1 Fri 13-Jun-14 13:50:54

I think 'implantation bleeding' is really an umbrella term for bleeding in early-ish pregnancy, and there is no strict defined period. I bled up to 11 weeks and my obstetrician friend suggested it could be implantation bleeding. It does seem very possible that during the whole period the placenta is becoming established and setting up its a blood supply that bleeding is a distinct possibility.

polarpercy Fri 13-Jun-14 16:40:27

I had bleeding at 5+5 and 7+5, sometimes red and sometimes brown. I asked if they could see any cause and they suggested implantation bleeding. I did query and repeat what I'd read online! The midwife was great and explained (like the previous poster) that it could be implanting further/placenta developing. I hope things are better for you today.

sebsmummy1 Fri 13-Jun-14 17:34:20

Yep, they tend to call early bleeding implantation bleeding unless it turns into something they know is a miscarriage.

It sounds as they you are going to find it a struggle to enjoy the rest of your holiday, have you looked into changing your flights to come home earlier?

Chattycat78 Sat 14-Jun-14 04:49:57

Hi - we re flying home tomorrow morning so no point changing flights now. I'll call the epu again on Monday am and see what they say. X

mssleepyhead Sat 14-Jun-14 07:11:18

I got a scan at 7 weeks from my EPU for just a bit of brown spotting. I had to go via my GP who refered me, but did it very quickly and without any pressure from me. Might be worth trying that approach when you get back. Best of luck.

sebsmummy1 Sat 14-Jun-14 08:17:07

Oh that's good chatty. There's nothing worse than being in 'happy places' when you are feeling worried or sad.

Has the bleeding stopped now? With me I had constabt low level bleeding pretty much from the beginning, so I knew something wasn't right. Really hope you can have a scan when you get home and all will be well xx

Chattycat78 Sat 14-Jun-14 09:54:24

The bleeding has stopped, but I have noticed some slight brown spotting when I wipe since last nightsad so I have no idea if this is linked or not. Will have to sort something when I get home.

Kerryp Sat 14-Jun-14 14:26:45

Bleeding can also be down to things such as the placenta not being exactly as it should may be a simple case of spotting. Trust me a miscarriage is like a blood bath, you would soak through a thick pad within half an hour if not sooner. I was 10 weeks preg so only a weeks difference but think it would be same if it was anything like that. thanks

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 15-Jun-14 16:48:10

How are things OP?smile

HopefulMum111 Sun 15-Jun-14 20:42:30

Not that anything anyone on here says will stop you worrying, but I was told it is more common to bleed than not. So if this is the first time you have lost any blood, you don't have pain and the bleeding has stopped (or predominantly stopped), it sounds like your body is just settling down and not miscarrying.

Fingers crossed for you and if your hospital won't scan you, Google nearby private places because they probably won't have a long wait to reassure you. smile

Chattycat78 Sun 15-Jun-14 20:48:31

Hi guys,

Just got home, thanks for asking. Will be on phone first thing to epu to try to Sort something out! No more blood etc since incident on Thursday (touch wood) so hopefully it's a blip- I need to check though, I'm not the sort of person who can just wait and see til the next scan!

Hopeful it's interesting you were told that- I didn't realise that.

Dizzywhore Sun 15-Jun-14 20:55:46

Hope you get an scan sorted this week to put your mind at rest. If your EPU won't do one maybe the hospital/clinic where you had your IVF? Good luck.
When I had my first mc I had lots of pain before the bleeding started. But it's not true about the really heavy none stop bleeding mine wasn't like that at all. I had light brown blood for about 5 day, with pain then red blood but still not that heavy for about another week, still with pain then a really big bleed which didn't stop for a few days, awful pain then.
But as you've had no pain I'm sure everything will be fine.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 15-Jun-14 20:58:06

Bet it's nice to be home?smile please update when you've had your scan x

Chattycat78 Sun 15-Jun-14 21:06:49

Thanks guys- dizzy your story reminds me that this could unfortunately go either waysad at what point did u know for sure u were having a miscarriage if you don't mind me asking?

Dizzywhore Sun 15-Jun-14 21:34:26

I didn't until I went to EPU after about a week, probably when the red bleeding started. I was told I'd had a mmc. I was really shocked. I had seen a doctor who told me you can bleed and have some pain the first few week so I put it down to that. It wasn't until the bleeding got red and more painful that I had a scan.
But as your not in any pain I'd think that was a good sign. X

FishWithABicycle Sun 15-Jun-14 22:17:06

You can't really know for sure till you have a scan. everything could still be fine. we're all keeping everything crossed for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now