Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Book for DS to follow my pregnancy with No 2

(8 Posts)
JoshBear Mon 09-Jun-14 08:48:06

I'm 12 weeks pregnant with baby no 2 and DS, 5, has started asking questions about how babies are made. I wasn't ready to answer really but did my best! I would like to get a book for us to share to talk about it properly and also a pregnancy guide suitable for children so he can follow what is happening with the baby each week. A friend recommended Mummy Laid an Egg but was unsure of the suitability because of DS's age. Does anyone have any suggestions for both / either?
Many thanks!

Pobblewhohasnotoes Mon 09-Jun-14 09:11:25

We have a lovely book called 'There's a House inside my Mummy'.

I have a two year old and we read it to him so I'm not sure if it's the level that you want but it's on Amazon if you want a look.

SomeSunnySunday Mon 09-Jun-14 09:32:57

5 is a really difficult age. We have "There's a house.." but I used it with DS1 when he was 2 and I was expecting DS2. I'm now expecting DC3 - DS1 is 5 and a half, and "There's a house" is definitely far too young for him now.

I'm just planning on showing him pictures online of what the baby looks like now. My Miriam Stoppard pregnancy book, although basic and slightly condescending for adults, has some good illustrations and explanations of what the baby can now do, so I think that's almost as good as anything. We looked at the how babies are made section of his Usborne "See Inside Your Body" book too.

DS1's teacher is pregnant (due just after the summer holidays start), and has let the class measure her tummy weekly (around her middle, they can't quite do fundal height grin) and make a graph of how big she is getting, which has been very sweet. DS gets very excited on measuring days! I might allow him to do something similar when I start to get a bump, if I'm feeling tolerant...

AlwaysDancing1234 Mon 09-Jun-14 11:37:42

Our DS is 6 and DD is due in 2-3 weeks.
A friend recommended "mummy laid an egg" but I haven't actually bought it yet!
I found just letting DS share in the process as much as is practical/appropriate has really helped. He is a good reader so had a good look through my pregnancy book and likes to check what week it is so he can see what the baby should be up to.
He also likes to take 'bump photos' of me once every week or two (some are bit blurry so I get my DH to do 'proper' ones!) and compare how enormous my bump is getting.
DS has asked more questions over time about how baby got in there and how it's getting out and we've just tried to be honest and open with answers, without going OTT with details!!

Sighing Mon 09-Jun-14 14:11:18

I have 'what's inside your tummy mummy'

JoshBear Mon 09-Jun-14 17:30:02

Thanks everyone. Think I'll take a punt on Mummy Laid an Egg as it's cheap enough on Amazon and seems most likely to be the most age appropriate one. I have the same Dr Miriam Stoppard book SomeSunnySunday so I will dig that out tonight. I love the idea of him measuring my belly as loves measuring everything!!!!
AlwaysDancing1234 - I want to involve him as much as possible too and he is so inquisitive I love to see his mind ticking over as he digests all of this. Let's face it, it's a miracle that's difficult for us to comprehend so to a 5 yr old who thought you were lain down on a table, your bones laid out and then wrapped in skin it must be mind blowing!!! I look forward to bedtime when the questions of the day trickle out - not a delaying tactic of course smile

FTRsGotAShinyNewNN Mon 09-Jun-14 17:49:45

I've just ordered mummy laid an egg for my DS(5) for us to read together when we tell him about the new baby coming (only 6+3 now)
I've had a read and it looks quite good, it doesn't have the medical terms in but does have some cartoony doodles of mum and dads bits but certainly age appropriate I would say.

CarefullyAirbrushedPotato Sun 15-Jun-14 13:09:59

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1158171.Being_Born
is quite good, but not to everyone's taste for sharing with children

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now