Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

incompetent cervix + stitch in pervious pregnancy are sax and orgasms safe this time around?

(4 Posts)
mumography Fri 06-Jun-14 21:52:41

10 years ago when i was pregnant with my DS I was found to have incompetent cervix and had to have then stitched. Now I'm 1st trimester with my second pregnancy and although I have had a transvaginal ultrasound shooing all is ok I'm worried to have sex or to even orgasm despite the fact my hormones are craving otherwise. I did mention this to the Dr who said he hadn't ever heard of it being an issue but I'm sure I remember being told differently when expecting my baby No1.

time2deal Fri 06-Jun-14 22:00:22

What type of stitch? I have a stitch and was told that sex was ok for a while although I was very cautious. Are you getting cervical scans done?

mumography Fri 06-Jun-14 22:07:03

time2deal It was a cervical cerclage put in around 22 weeks and removed at 36 weeks. I had one transvaginal scan due to server pain (that embarrassingly turned out to be trapped wind blush ) they said they would keep an eye on my cervix over the months to come but had to wait until the midwives refer me to the consultant and I haven't even had by booking in appointment yet and I'm 11 weeks!

time2deal Sat 07-Jun-14 11:37:39

Ok thats a vaginal cerclage, and not there anymore. I have one placed through my abdomen that is not removable.

It's impossible to answer this question though. If the scan shows your are ok then 'probably' it's OK, but you really need to know how strong your cervix is looking. It's really hard I know!! Especially when people say why can't you just abstain? It's tough on relationships and self esteem too. For me I'm happy not to if there is a genuine risk, but all this 'just in case' stuff annoys me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now