Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Getting to the hospital with diarrhea in labour

(17 Posts)
EllaBella220 Fri 06-Jun-14 14:57:17

Sorry this is such a crude post but it is something I am really worried about. I'm not even close to due date yet but this is something that has been on my mind since I found out I was pregnant. I have terrible IBS which seems to be connected to a nervous stomach. I take nerves about EVERY bloody thing! Going to appointments is a nightmare because I'll have the runs for the hours before the appointment and then as soon as I go to leave the house it starts again, making me late or completely unable to attend the appointment. To treat the IBS I had been on tablets and was using Imodium very regularly and discussed this with my GP as soon as I found out I was pregnant. I was told to stop taking the imodium unless I really couldn't do without as there wasn't enough research to determine whether it would affect the baby. 1st trimester I felt great, no IBS and the nervous stomach wasn't too bad so only had to use the imodium once or twice. 2nd trimester though it has been as bad as ever. I feel like I can't leave the house without having nerves and needing the loo and that's where the worry about labour comes in.....

I am a 20 minute drive in traffic to the hospital. Doesn't seem too long but when I have to go, then I HAVE TO GO! The pain is awful, I take cold sweats and feel faint and I need the loo within minutes of that starting. I can't calm myself down when this happens and it makes the nerves worse. I am terrified off having the runs when I go into labour and either not being able to leave the house for fear of having an accident or getting on the road to the hospital and really needing to go!

Has anyone else suffered with a nervous stomach before labour or any IBS sufferers who've managed to control it during the labour?

Oh and don't even get me started on the fear of pooping all through the labour with the nerves.....that's a whole other thread of worry! blush

MrsCouchman Fri 06-Jun-14 15:41:59

I had bad v&d when in labour, but tbh I couldn't concentrate on anything other than the pain on the drive! I feel air you tho, this happens to me semi regularly and I've ended up in some embarrassing situations, thankfully I have very understanding friends! X

EllaBella220 Fri 06-Jun-14 15:50:43

I've never had an accident before but I just know how panicky I am when I think I need the loo. I'm just hoping I go overdue and know when I will be going to hospital....then I can at least spend the day on the toilet beforehand! Geez the things we have to think about!!

My partner is very understanding and just jokes that if needs be, he'll just roll the windows down......he has no idea how mortified I'd be.

MrsCouchman Fri 06-Jun-14 17:07:38

Just have plenty of imodiam to hand, you'll probably find your so preoccupied with labour you won't think about it at all x it's always the run up to something that's the worst x

EllaBella220 Fri 06-Jun-14 18:31:23

That's true MrsCouchman, it's the thought of it all that is making me worse. Hopefully if I do go into labour at home then I have plenty of time for the imodium so I can at least settle myself enough to make the trip to the hospital. I know they say 3rd babies come quicker but I'm hoping it won't be THAT quick x

BravePotato Fri 06-Jun-14 18:35:25

I had it dreadfully, and no you can't control it when you are in labour. Nobody can. Most women poo when in labour and aren't aware of it ( ask any doc!)

The good thing for me was I was completely empty before I needed to push, so was spared to pooing on the floor bit!

The great thing about being in labour is you won't give a shit wink, you really won't

onedogatoddlerandababy Fri 06-Jun-14 18:39:12

Is a home birth off the cards? Just thinking that removing the anxiety of having to get to hospital/be in unfamiliar surroundings when in labour might help with the nervousness a bit smile

MissSmiley Fri 06-Jun-14 18:44:34

Wait until the pooing stops. Bowel empty. Go to hosp. 10cm on arrival. Delivery within 10 mins.

EllaBella220 Fri 06-Jun-14 18:52:19

I am really hoping it's the last thing on my mind on the big day and it's just my nerves making a big deal of it so far.

Onedog.....yes a home birth is off the cards for me for a few reasons sad

MissSmiley, wouldn't that be great? In and out in no time!

EllaBella220 Fri 06-Jun-14 18:55:15

Last 2 labours for me were inductions and I remember being in the hospital and pooping nonstop for hours but I didn't even suffer from IBS then! It didn't bother me in the slightest though because I knew I was where I needed to be and didn't have to travel.

This pregnancy has been quite different to that of my first two and I'm thinking it would be just my luck to go into labour while out shopping or something and be glued to a loo while needing to get a move on to the hospital.

KatharineClover Fri 06-Jun-14 22:51:42

I have IBS, but not as extremely as you do. In early labour (at hospital) with my son, I ended up on the loo for over 45 mins with the most thorough bowel emptying I have ever experienced (sorry tmi!). I felt like the contractions triggered a response with my stomach - I guess for you this would likely happen early in labour before you leave the house, so leave for hospital after?
I also travelled to hospital with extreme d & v (and my 5 week old baby, as I had fainted, dropped him and hit my head) - I sat on a bin bag and took spare clothes. No accidents thankfully, and definitely not glamorous, but it did the trick!
Have you considered getting the hypnobirthing CDs to calm you for labour? I have them and they are wonderful for relaxation.
X

Sleepysheepsleeping Fri 06-Jun-14 23:00:27

I also have IBS that is triggered by stress, not as predictable as you by the sounds of it but baaaad when I get it and had a really thorough emptying out for days before my labour, also had repeated vomiting (I often get nerve/stress vomiting in conjunction). I had the worst bout the night before I went I to labour, went into labour that night and didn't poo at all throughout my labour! You may well experience it worst in early labour or before contractions start as it's really common to have a clear out before labour from what I hear and if you think about, it you react to the labour hormones with stress it's likely to happen in early labour as things get going rather than at the time critical get to hosp now!
Would really re commend hypnobirthing in conjunction with a book by Juju Sundon, birth skills, to have a less stressful labour, also pregnancy yoga some of the relaxation exercises would help you so you don't react with such stressful way to the labour starting, i found the relaxation stuff really helpful.
Oh and labour pains are v v similar to IBS pains, often easier in my opinion as you get a break from them between contractions!

EllaBella220 Fri 06-Jun-14 23:22:32

Thanks Katherine and Sleepy, the hypnobirthing CD is something I will definitely look into and I'm really glad to hear that your experiences were all prior to the actual labour.

Sleepy, I've had some horrific pain over the past year or so with the IBS that I remember thinking labour would have been preferable at some stages. Although maybe I've just forgotten how bad labour is!

Bindibach Fri 06-Jun-14 23:30:09

Try not to worry about the pooing in labour. It happens to most of us. My poor husband had to wipe mine up at one point. O the shame! But he does laugh about it even now, 24 years later.

Sleepysheepsleeping Fri 06-Jun-14 23:31:47

Just seen this is your third, I do honestly think IBS pain can be worse than contractions sometimes,
maybe not that all on top of each other baby coming v soon transition but definitely worse than a lot of contractions as a whole and it's not a natural pain unlike labour ie in labour you know you're meant to be in pain and it's getting the baby out which I always found v comforting whereas more panicked with IBS pain .

EllaBella220 Fri 06-Jun-14 23:53:59

Yes, it's a very panicky pain with IBS and at times I really did wonder if I was actually pregnant and a baby was going to be swimming in the loo at any minute! There's also no building up to it.....no warning signs usually for me just BANG! terrible pain that doesn't let up until it's had it's fun!

Bindi....oh dear. My OH would do the same for me then pretend it never happened but after a while he'd bring it up as a joke. He has done that so many times about me pooing during labour with the 2nd child and then says no I'm only joking that I don't actually know if I did or not because he won't actually say I did because he doesn't want to embarrass me. I'm guessing I did though but that actually doesn't bother me, its just the travelling part that is freaking me out.

aroha77 Sat 07-Jun-14 00:19:50

I wonder if, as you know it's definitely stress-related, some hypnotherapy sessions would help? Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now