Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Vitamin A in OJ

(8 Posts)
ProudlymadeinSA Thu 05-Jun-14 16:43:20

Hello

6 weeks pregnant and have just realised that for at least the last month I've been drinking a glass a day of orange juice fortified with vitamin A. There don't seem to be any non fortified fruit juices available where I live in Africa.

Shall I worry? Stop drinking it?

Thanks!

Lozmatoz Thu 05-Jun-14 20:18:32

Bump

porcito Thu 05-Jun-14 22:27:41

I was the same . I'm in Mexico where EVERYTHING has it added: juice, milk, bread. I spent the first few weeks carefully checking every packet, and then realised I'd starve.

I'm assuming it's not a problem given how many pregnant women I've seen - none of them look starved or dehydrated. I wouldn't worry too much - vitamin A's naturally found in lots of things anyway, so it's probably not at a level that can harm. I think things like pate and liver just have crazily high levels of it.

porcito Thu 05-Jun-14 22:28:22

Just to add, I know people here who are happy munching away on liver and pate throughout pregnancy too, and their babies are fine.

ProudlymadeinSA Fri 06-Jun-14 10:01:12

Thanks Porcito!

moomin35 Sun 08-Jun-14 10:35:08

i was prescribed iron tablets when my iron levels were slightly too low and the doctors actively advise taking these WITH orange juice so i guess from this advice that it isnt a problem..

the vitamin A in juices, etc is unlikely to be the retinol form which is the form linked to birth defects. It is more likely to be beta-carotene in the juices which is a safe form.

www.care2.com/greenliving/is-vitamin-a-safe-for-pregnant-women.html?page=1 - this explains it a bit better than me

Eastwiththem Sun 08-Jun-14 17:53:42

Vitamin A found in fruit and vegetables is different from the vitamin A found in liver. The plant version has to be converted in to pure vitamin A by your body, so it's much less potent than the animal version, which goes straight in to your system as is.

If the orange juice is being supplemented by beta-carotene vitamin A (the plant version) then it's quite a weak form of vitamin A and even a large intake will only result in a small amount once your body has converted it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now