Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When did you feel movement with your first? What's it like??

(26 Posts)
Firstpregnancy2014 Thu 05-Jun-14 11:46:16

I know I'm too early to feel movement yet- I'm 15 weeks. But I really want to know what to expect and when!
Did you know for sure when you first felt movement or did it take a few times for you to realise what it was?

MrsCouchman Thu 05-Jun-14 12:17:48

I felt my first movements with my son at 15 weeks, was at a gig and just felt like strong fluttering! Was lovely! Any time I played music after he went mad smile still is music mad x

somewhatavoidant Thu 05-Jun-14 12:30:57

Felt fluttering lying on my back around 16 weeks. It's amazing. You'll know it when you feel it!

Francescal88 Thu 05-Jun-14 12:35:56

I was only 12+5 when I felt my first movements! It was a similar sort of feeling to when your eyelid spasms, but in my uterus... Obviously

eurochick Thu 05-Jun-14 12:36:55

I had a few "was that something?" moments before but the first definite movements were around 19 weeks.

squizita Thu 05-Jun-14 12:44:08

About 18-19 weeks. Like something tickling my lower belly from the inside, then very light 'flicks' or 'pokes'.
You will hear a lot of lucky people who felt earlier but the average time is about 18-20 weeks according to most sources so don't worry! And no, that's not for anterior placenta - that's for regular pregnancies.

DuckeyP Thu 05-Jun-14 12:49:30

Hi!

I think i was about 20 weeks by the time i knew what the feelings were for sure but it felt like someone tapping you from the inside. Also felt a little bit like when u have wind moving about in there haha

mssleepyhead Thu 05-Jun-14 12:49:49

My first ones were when I was using a Doppler. I could hear he was moving and felt little swishing movements at the same time, like a little stroke. That was 16 weeks. Then they turned into movements that felt like muscle spasms. They were proper kicks. At 18 weeks these were strong enough to feel on the outside too.

ShoeWhore Thu 05-Jun-14 12:52:28

I was over 20 weeks with my first as I had anterior placenta - it was obvious what it was straightaway. Such a lovely feeling.

slightly less lovely when you're in the last couple of weeks and their feet are permanently lodged at the top of your ribs lol

breakfastinbread Thu 05-Jun-14 13:16:01

Dead on 18wks. (I'm 19+1 now).

Felt like little flutters of someone tickling me gently from the inside.

DH can't feel them yet and is feeling a bit left out…

CuttingOutTheCrap Thu 05-Jun-14 13:22:53

I'm 20 weeks and have been getting a fluttering feeling more and more regularly. I assume these are kicks but to star with I kept second guessing that it was just wind as they happen most often after I've eaten or drank something. I'm really hoping that it happens during the scan so I can see it happening at the same time as feelng it!

MTWTFSS Thu 05-Jun-14 13:28:19

DS1: 15 weeks - span around like a washing machine!
DS2: 22 weeks - barely moved the entire pregnancy- only during the last few weeks he loved to kick my ribs sad

ohthegoats Thu 05-Jun-14 14:48:23

At about 19 weeks I felt a small flutter first thing on a Monday morning while lying in bed on my back. One tiny flutter that was different to any sort of digestion feeling.

Then nothing until the FOLLOWING week on Tuesday, when there was a clear 'poke' just to the left hand side of my belly button. Enough to make me say 'ooh, weird'.

Then nothing again until the following week, when things started in earnest, particularly while I was lying on my back. So really, it was 21 weeks. That week I also had my '20 week' scan, during which it was going nuts and I could see and feel the kicks at the same time, so then recognised each different movement.

I have a lively one. We're now nearly 24 weeks and it's moving for big chunks of the day. It's foot down, and kicks me in the bladder quite often.

MrsMonkeyBear Thu 05-Jun-14 14:53:57

I'm 19+6 with first DD and I first felt movement at 16ish weeks. It was flutters as pp said like a twitch. Now I get proper pokes and when she rolls over it's like going over a hill in a car. I have a low lying anterior placenta, so a lot of movements were quite high up.

splendide Thu 05-Jun-14 16:16:34

About 19 weeks (only 2 weeks ago!), I get fluttering type movement now but first thing I felt was a definite poke! Gave me a fright.

MrsPatMustard Thu 05-Jun-14 18:47:19

About 17 weeks. It felt like a vein throbbing at first then gradually got stronger. By 36 weeks it felt like DS was doing star jumps in there! grin

Heatherbell1978 Thu 05-Jun-14 19:00:12

About 17/18 weeks. Was like little bubbles popping or something. Took me a while to realise what I was feeling cos sometimes you're not sure if it's your stomach! But you'll soon learn the difference and it becomes familiar. I'm 30 wks now and get properly kicked, still trying to get used to seeing this thing wriggling around my stomach! Cos I don't have much fat on there, I see everything!

Barbsta Thu 05-Jun-14 19:49:53

Mine was quite early for my first and felt like bubbles moving around, def not wind because of where it was and it felt completely different

Poycastle Sat 07-Jun-14 11:51:41

oh, first it feels like gas bubbles and you won't be sure if it's "it" or not!
Then after a while it will be the same bubbly feeling but stronger.
Then it starts feeling like proper kicks and punches and you can't miss them.
I noticed the gas bubbles feeling around 18 weeks, stronger around 20 and now my whole tummy ripples at 26+5.

purplemurple1 Sat 07-Jun-14 15:56:19

First time I was sure was 16 weeks (exactly) and felt like I'd been flicked from inside.
Weirdly later I would sometimes look down to see him moving but not feel anything.

IWillYeah Sat 07-Jun-14 15:58:00

I was about 18 weeks when I felt the sensation of little bubbles popping. By 20 weeks it was more regular and like little taps inside.

Mummy2Bjodie13 Sun 08-Jun-14 07:54:04

I had flutters and a ticket long sensation when I was around 16 weeks, I thought I had trapped wind for some time as I convinced myself it wasn't the baby moving. Now at 27wks+4days I can feel movement however I'm trying to get a pattern to the movements but it's not happening.
It's also hard as my placenta is on he front where movement is so that will cushion sharp thumbs and kicks from baby which I find very disappointing, I know I should be grateful as some people really do get kicked! Bless ya's!!

Mummy2Bjodie13 Sun 08-Jun-14 07:55:30

Ticket long sensation!???? Haha haha silling iPhone! Meant to say tickerling sensation! Haha

squizita Sun 08-Jun-14 09:49:34

Weirdly later I would sometimes look down to see him moving but not feel anything.

Yep I get this: I can see/feel some movements but only from the outside! How strange.

Redling Sun 08-Jun-14 11:52:45

I was about 20 weeks, and it was a kind of turning or lurching sensation, kind of like (I'm sorry to describe it this way!) when you need to get to the loo fast smile. But very quickly it's real bumps and prods and kicks. I love it most the time but he can really go wild when I'm trying to sleep now (I'm 30 weeks). He does a thing where he seems to stroke or prod my belly all round, I refer to it as him 'testing the fence' as he won't do the same bit twice in a session'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now